Not a troll post, but bear with me for a sec please.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
As sad as it sounds, the more I use Android and Windows phones, the more I start to see why people flock to Apple. Well one reason they flock is because they are sheep?they follow. But the reason why some people stick with it is because it is the ultimate extension of you minus the social integration that WP is implementing, but still failing at in some respects. Although apple might not have the biggest screens, it is still a good ?helper? phone through voice commands and communication support. Tons of accessories for it, easily the best hands free device (don?t know about the Bluetooth car thing that the WP does) and there are more business functions for it, like exchange mail clients and VPN. Microsoft could be a giant in the cellphone industry, but they lack conviction it would seem. They lack the speed of progress. And they show up to the parties a day late and a dollar short.

I post this because I have a few friends and families that all own some iteration of iphone. They see my windows phones and are intrigued by it and ask me tons of questions for it. The main concerns I hear are:

1.) Awww too bad, it doesn't have a few apps I use daily
2.) Damn that's a big phone! Why can't they make a smaller phone with similar specs (I own a 920 and an 8x, still on the fence about which I will keep)
3.) Can I use Exchange on it? (A couple family members double their phone as a business phone)

Those are THEIR main concerns and if WP had those, they may have been converted, but I have a few concerns of my own that I feel if Microsoft would have improved on upon release of the phone then they could sell more units. I'm not going to go over those because I have a few times already even though I'm sure people have made similar threads like this as well.

Has anyone written to Microsoft and gotten through to someone that really gives a damn? I've seen some of you write to Nokia and have made it really far up their chain of command to get support. I've tried to write the top heads of HTC, but I'm sure my e-mail sits in a box being untouched. I got a respond from a lacky support agent, blah. But has anyone tried Microsoft? Have you gotten an informative response? I'm not sure MSFT is hearing the gripes enough or I'm not even sure if they are looking outside of their bubble. People on the upper echelons of the businesses infrastructures tend to lose touch with what people really want and more or less give people what they think we want.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
There is no denying the iPhone is a great device. I just responded to another post regarding WP and that its not for everyone. The same holds true with Apple.

WP is still a young platform. Apple has a five year head start so you have to expect there gonna have more apps, accessories, etc. I stuck with WP because I believe in where this platform is going. I believe the Microsoft ecosystem will greatly surpass that of either Apple or Google.

-Scienide-

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
The tech industry is constantly changing. Those at the top don't stay at the top for too long. Apple has done a **** of lot of things very well and reaped the rewards. Now they are sitting at the front of the pack and its the guys at the back that have to work hard to play catchup. I very much doubt that any single company will create an OS that is better than iOS over night. These things take time. Android took quite a while to get going and now it's huge and doing very well. Windows Phone could go either way to be honest. If it does take off then it will be a gradual uphill climb and the improvements will be incremental and small.

In 5 years time we could be talking about an Amazon phone in the same way. You just never know what's coming and who will take the next step.

i think Microsoft have probably surprised themselves with Windows Phone. It's a damn good effort and a good foundation for things to come. It just depends who is willing to stick along fro the ride.

Personally, I can't stand Android. I've had 3 handsets including a Galaxy S, and I just couldn't get along with them. Hated the experience. even had an Android tablet for the Mrs when she was jealous of my ipad. We sold it after 4 weeks and got Nother ipad lol.

Thats not to say that Android is bad, it's just not for me. Windows Phone is. So Microsoft are doing things right in my eyes. I hope they do continue to support it and let it grow and evolve but if they don't then so be it. I'll buy the next thing that comes along and innovates.

Apple will stay at the helm for a while yet and Android will continue to eat into Apples sales and sell strongly around the world. windows just might gain a bit of ground too. As for RIM, unless Blackberry 10 is something incredibly awesome, I think they are done for.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
1.) Awww too bad, it doesn't have a few apps I use daily
2.) Damn that's a big phone! Why can't they make a smaller phone with similar specs (I own a 920 and an 8x, still on the fence about which I will keep)
3.) Can I use Exchange on it? (A couple family members double their phone as a business phone)

1. I don't buy the apps thing anymore. More than enough people have converted to WP and have great alternatives from third party developers. It's true there are only a few big name apps missing but they will come eventually.

2. If Apple made a phone with a 5" screen, people would flock to it and yell how it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Peoples perceptions change drastically when it's the company they support. Personally, I love my 920 but I wish they would've gone with a 5" screen :)

3. Microsoft developed Exchange in-house. It is their bread and butter mail and messaging platform for enterprise. So of course their mobile software would support it.

The fact of the matter is, peoples eyes are blinded to what they are not familiar with. It's human nature to stick with what's comfortable and acceptable by society. People tell you Apple or Android is the greatest thing in the world, and of course others will flock to it. Windows Phone will get there eventually and MS is doing it's thing to get the word out. The more people use WP, the more others will flock to it.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
There is another aspect to the Apple thing and that there is a tone of accessories for that device. You have millions of people who invested lot's of money in apps and other thing within the system that it's not worth it for them to switch. At then end of the day the first one now will later be last because the times they are a changing.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Apple is not doing a good job of progression as we speak. They are slowing down which gives Microsoft time to catch up, but with how I see Microsoft releasing things, it leads me to wonder how they plan on grabbing those folks who are on the fence when X Y Z functions aren't available. This holiday season would have been a great time. But now people are getting locked into contracts with the iphone 5. Unless they have a mysterious update coming middle of next month. Same thing with the Surface, ugly release with features in mind. My little cousin used my Surface tablet and thought it was fun, until he started listening to music. "Why wont it play music continually?" I had to give him the explanation that MS will be fixing it REALLY SOON like in a week or so, knowing deep down that they probably aren't. I thought this glaring issue would have been fixed long ago. Wrong. Such a big oversight, but on the bright side, the app scene on the surface is growing quickly!!! I am shocked at how many official apps this thing is getting each week.

And people keep leaving and joining MS. This may stunt their growth in smartphone and tablet industries. It could also help them grow with new vision. But normal folks aren't worried about all that. They are more worried about what phone is it and what can it do for me now that my current phone can't. At this point in time WP8 seems more of a style thing and not a functionality things. My android can do more, but I don't like the layout, hence why I have my windows phone right here. Stylistically, I like it a lot. Functional, it's lacking in a few area that are important to me. But I will endure and hope in a few months MS can surprise me.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
1. I don't buy the apps thing anymore. More than enough people have converted to WP and have great alternatives from third party developers. It's true there are only a few big name apps missing but they will come eventually.

2. If Apple made a phone with a 5" screen, people would flock to it and yell how it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Peoples perceptions change drastically when it's the company they support. Personally, I love my 920 but I wish they would've gone with a 5" screen :)

3. Microsoft developed Exchange in-house. It is their bread and butter mail and messaging platform for enterprise. So of course their mobile software would support it.

The fact of the matter is, peoples eyes are blinded to what they are not familiar with. It's human nature to stick with what's comfortable and acceptable by society. People tell you Apple or Android is the greatest thing in the world, and of course others will flock to it. Windows Phone will get there eventually and MS is doing it's thing to get the word out. The more people use WP, the more others will flock to it.

+1
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Microsofts problem with the mobile space including WP8 is they have no progression to build on of a core OS and then features on top of it like iOS. They are keep re-implementing the same things over and over again in a new OS. The hope is that stops with WP8 but who knows at this point, it's going to depend on how successful it is.

Apps come with a volume of users and I think WP8 has been successful enough so far more app developers will come than before.

The 8X is a great form factor, I like it more than my wife's IP5 and so does she. The 920 for me was just too big, but some people like big phones.

I'm willing to be patient with WP8 right now since I realize it just came out but I have a laundry list of features I would love to see implemented in the phone which just aren't there right now. Exchange has good support in WP8 but honestly it's better in iOS than WP8. WP8 doesn't even support some ActiveSync profiles which keeps the phone from working with a number of enterprises. No EAP-TTLS support keeps it from working on a number of wireless networks. No VPN (not a showstopper for me) is a big miss. If they had a solid core they were building off of they would just be adding features every release, instead of starting with a new OS they need to fix all this stuff in. Then there are basic things like separate ringer and media volume control, a simple notification list, etc.

Raduc78

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone, first I will like to apologize in advance for my grammar, English is not my first language and grammatical annihilation will happen; I’ll try to keep it at minimum though.

I’m a recent WP convert, I come from a background of Androids and before those IOS devices, I’m a technology enthusiast, and being the 920 the marvel that it is, it caught my attention so I made the jump, let me share with you how it have been for me.

I knew beforehand that it was going to be a compromise in some ways; the part that I wasn't ready for was how little this compromise really was. Surprisingly for me, almost all the apps that I used on a daily basis on my One X, are available on WP, leaving just a two app hole in my life (tunein, AMAZONMP3), but I’m confident that they will come. I would be lying if I say that the absence of some of this “most have” apps doesn't make me uneasy for the platform as I've seen people fall in love with the devices and really dig the OS but wouldn't give it a second look as soon as they know that Instagram is not available. I know this is changing, developers seem to be excited about the whole unified platform that MS is pushing now, and if the lumias and 8X’s keep selling well our chances to for getting more developers on board will double. For now sit tight, and know that if you’re coming from a previously establish ecosystem to WP you will be making some sort of compromise on the App side, other than that, between the build in functions (people hub FTW) and third party alternatives I don’t find myself missing neither Apple’s App store nor the Play Store.

Regarding emailing someone on MS; I don’t know about emails, but I know that a lot of people are getting replies by twitter and Facebook. Joe Belfiore was very active responding to questions and concerns over twitter.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone, first I will like to apologize in advance for my grammar, English is not my first language and grammatical annihilation will happen; I’ll try to keep it at minimum though.

I’m a recent WP convert, I come from a background of Androids and before those IOS devices, I’m a technology enthusiast, and being the 920 the marvel that it is, it caught my attention so I made the jump, let me share with you how it have been for me.

I knew beforehand that it was going to be a compromise in some ways; the part that I wasn't ready for was how little this compromise really was. Surprisingly for me, almost all the apps that I used on a daily basis on my One X, are available on WP, leaving just a two app hole in my life (tunein, AMAZONMP3), but I’m confident that they will come. I would be lying if I say that the absence of some of this “most have” apps doesn't make me uneasy for the platform as I've seen people fall in love with the devices and really dig the OS but wouldn't give it a second look as soon as they know that Instagram is not available. I know this is changing, developers seem to be excited about the whole unified platform that MS is pushing now, and if the lumias and 8X’s keep selling well our chances to for getting more developers on board will double. For now sit tight, and know that if you’re coming from a previously establish ecosystem to WP you will be making some sort of compromise on the App side, other than that, between the build in functions (people hub FTW) and third party alternatives I don’t find myself missing neither Apple’s App store nor the Play Store.

Regarding emailing someone on MS; I don’t know about emails, but I know that a lot of people are getting replies by twitter and Facebook. Joe Belfiore was very active responding to questions and concerns over twitter.

I don't have a twitter account, but I hope Belfiore is listening and passing the word on. With the absence of a word on things to come, I have a feeling in spring something in MS is going to explode with features. I just can't see them in this state for another 6 months. Something is brewing.....I just know it. But of course lack of transparency sucks for WP8 fans.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
MS has been pretty good at listening to features that people want. But there are only so many resources, and sometimes throwing more resources at it only makes things more muddled and complicated.

With WP8, MS pretty much rebuilt WP in a new kernel, and added features and functionality at the same time.

That was the toughest part.

The next few weeks will likely be dedicated to bug fixes, and then after that there will be a push to add more requested features.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I have no experience with the iphone 5 but the 4s I had was in no way the best handsfree device ever. In fact, I don't think bluetooth 4 was ready yet. My bluetooth connection was weak as ****, I would lose reception when I went to the kitchen and left my phone in the room. With my GS2, I could walk to the end of the block and still have a strong connection.

The wifi was also weak on the 4s and ipad 3. The 4s would drop wifi signal right after I leave the house and my ipad3 couldn't connect to McDonalds wifi when my GS3 did. I also had to do a dfu restore on the 4s because the lock screen slider would be unresponsive sometimes and my ipad 3 died in 6 months. That is Apple quality for you and it looks like there are even suckers at the windows websites.

The GS2 and GS3 were the only two devices I ever had with no issues. I probably should have gotten the Ativ S instead of the 8x.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I have no experience with the iphone 5 but the 4s I had was in no way the best handsfree device ever. In fact, I don't think bluetooth 4 was ready yet. My bluetooth connection was weak as ****, I would lose reception when I went to the kitchen and left my phone in the room. With my GS2, I could walk to the end of the block and still have a strong connection.

The wifi was also weak on the 4s and ipad 3. The 4s would drop wifi signal right after I leave the house and my ipad3 couldn't connect to McDonalds wifi when my GS3 did. I also had to do a dfu restore on the 4s because the lock screen slider would be unresponsive sometimes and my ipad 3 died in 6 months. That is Apple quality for you and it looks like there are even suckers at the windows websites.

The GS2 and GS3 were the only two devices I ever had with no issues. I probably should have gotten the Ativ S instead of the 8x.

I had the iphone 4 and it was a pretty sharp device until ATT started messing up, so I got off ATT for a while and decided to try other things, was impressed with Android for a little while, but for all it's features, there was one remaining constant and it was horrible battery life and stability, but those factors aren't what all android users experience. I have the One X. Really never had an issue with it, but I came BACK to WP8 because at the end of the day, I think I want some sort of uniformity and continuity. So I'm with WP8 in hopes that within the next year, things will get alot better. But after being in the WP devices, I'm not sure if I'd ever go back to the others unless something improved about either one of them.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Wait wait wait... I have a HTC Trophy (WP7.5) and BAR NONE, it has the SMOOTHEST integration with Exchange I have EVER seen. I have it connected to my corporate Exchange server and it does everything natively. No 3rd party apps or "connectors" needed. I can't speak for WP8 as I haven't upgraded yet, but I can't imagine that WP8 would have gone backwards in their support. I even had a BB and BES server connected to our Exchange server, talk about maintenance (I was one of the SysAdmins, I KNOW) before we killed that.

Why does the OP say there's no integration wth Exchange?

FredW3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Why is everyone trying to make this a competition with Apple? Android has a 68% market share for the OS, and iOS has 17%. Samsung, across all it's models, has the highest market share of the smartphone market, and in the 3rd quarter the GS3 alone outsold Apple. Microsoft could be tied with iOS by taking only 1/4 of the Android market. Nokia would be better off beating Samsung for smartphone sales.

-Scienide-

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

If English is not your first language then you just made a post that made more sense and had less spelling mistakes then anything I've written on this forum lol. So I don't think you need to worry about the grammar police lol

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Wait wait wait... I have a HTC Trophy (WP7.5) and BAR NONE, it has the SMOOTHEST integration with Exchange I have EVER seen. I have it connected to my corporate Exchange server and it does everything natively. No 3rd party apps or "connectors" needed. I can't speak for WP8 as I haven't upgraded yet, but I can't imagine that WP8 would have gone backwards in their support. I even had a BB and BES server connected to our Exchange server, talk about maintenance (I was one of the SysAdmins, I KNOW) before we killed that.

Why does the OP say there's no integration wth Exchange?
Ok, to clear things up, I am not speaking from my own experience. My colleague told me he couldn't do that so I just echoed his remarks. Maybe he did it wrong? I don't know. I am not within distance to help him out with that.

As far as competition with apple goes, Samsung just crept up on Apple as far as sales go. Apple has been leading the pack when it comes to manufacturer for a long time. And there is a good reason to, but like I said before, I am with WP8. I just wished that with all the progress the other OS have made, MS could have simply took a few basic features and added it on to make it more enticing. Nothing special. Volume separation, the ability to scrub audio, the ability to save videos from e-mail, etc. Those features are nothing special when it's included, but when excluded they can deter a possible converts thought train. People who aren't in the "know" need warm fuzzies about an OS before giving up all of what they have known for years. People use their smartphones differently. Some left out features could make people wait.

-Scienide-

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Why is everyone trying to make this a competition with Apple? Android has a 68% market share for the OS, and iOS has 17%. Samsung, across all it's models, has the highest market share of the smartphone market, and in the 3rd quarter the GS3 alone outsold Apple. Microsoft could be tied with iOS by taking only 1/4 of the Android market. Nokia would be better off beating Samsung for smartphone sales.

Any OS is in competition with Apple, Android or any other OS on the market. Thats why people make it a competition, because it is. I know what you're getting at, Android has a bigger market share, but at the end of the day the market is flooded with a ton of splintered Android sets running different versions of the OS on all kinds of different handsets. Apple has one line of phones. So, the market share Apple has, in relation to the amount of devices it has, makes it a hot product and a bit of a giant tech company.

I'm certainly not getting drawn into a "Which OS should be called the best?" or "Which OS is really winning the smartphone war?" because its pointless. All we are doing is comparing our current phones to the market leaders, whoever they may be and hoping that one day our Windows Phones might be among those market leaders.

Jonas Jonsson

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone written to Microsoft and gotten through to someone that really gives a damn? I've seen some of you write to Nokia and have made it really far up their chain of command to get support. I've tried to write the top heads of HTC, but I'm sure my e-mail sits in a box being untouched. I got a respond from a lacky support agent, blah. But has anyone tried Microsoft? Have you gotten an informative response? I'm not sure MSFT is hearing the gripes enough or I'm not even sure if they are looking outside of their bubble. People on the upper echelons of the businesses infrastructures tend to lose touch with what people really want and more or less give people what they think we want.

Joe Belfiore (manager of the Windows Phone program at Microsoft) seem to interact with a lot of users via his twitter; regarding questions, issues and whatnot. He has "leaked" some future plans and features on occasions as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)