Is WP8 a virus risk?

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to this platform, so far I do like it a lot. One question popped into my head overnite, since it's Windows does it make it more susceptible to issue with viruses? I'd think that MS covered all their bases regarding this. Any thoughts?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The app store is regulated, so there's no risk at all of viruses in the real sense of the word. However you're still at risk from phishing attempts from maliciously crafted websites. You should still exercise caution when accessing links from emails whether or not you think you know the sender.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Also, if you developer unlock your device and sideload applications created outside of Microsoft's ecosystem, then you're placing yourself at risk.

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I would argue WP8 is probably the most secure OS out there right now for mobile devices..

Low mind share + highly secure OS..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Answer = If someone decides to write a virus for it then yes.

Realistically, if someone wants to write a virus for mobile devices they will likely target IOS or Android first. Just like legitimate software developers they want to get the best bang for there buck. time, etc.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Answer = If someone decides to write a virus for it then yes.

Given the restrictive nature of the SDK and the fact that apps are vetted by Microsoft before they're published in the app store. I really doubly that any virus would make it into the wild. Android is the most vulnerable platform by a long way.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Only a single virus has been made to crack WP security. It was developed by a developer who, gladly, wasn't trying to do harm, but just show Microsoft ways to improve their security. Granted the kid who wrote the virus is also a computer prodigy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte