Please, notification center in appolo+!

iPwnza

Banned
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
As we know, WPCentral just unofficially announced Appolo+ for Q1 2013 (UNOFICIAL Early release, hopefully good news for WP sales because they wouldn't work THAT hard on WP8 if it isn't selling.)

What I really want to see:

1. Notification Center.
2. Built-in weather app with lockscreen features
3.Close running apps
4. Fix NFC so I can send pics to android phones
5. DO NOT MAKE ME BUY A NEW PHONE (If so, that new phone will be an iPhone or Android)

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
What I really want to see:

1. Notification Center.

Sure, why not I guess. I still don't understand why live tiles aren't enough to tell when you have a text, email or missed call though, but whatever. I know some people need a running counter with every damn tweet and facebook friend request registering on it in real time. LOL

2. Built-in weather app with lockscreen features

No thanks. Sounds WAY too much like ugly Android feature-creep to me. I can tell what the weather is just fine with a regular app, I don't need to know if the temperature has changed by 1 degree every time I glance at my phone.

3.Close running apps

Also not necessary, but I would be happy to have this if for no other reason, just so people will STFU about it already.

4. Fix NFC so I can send pics to android phones

As long as they include a feature that allows me to infect Android phones with crippling malware, then I'm in.

5. DO NOT MAKE ME BUY A NEW PHONE (If so, that new phone will be an iPhone or Android)

Oh stop it already. Go buy a new phone if you want. Just don't come here and post a thread about it please.

rajeshr68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
No thanks. Sounds WAY too much like ugly Android feature-creep to me. I can tell what the weather is just fine with a regular app, I don't need to know if the temperature has changed by 1 degree every time I glance at my phone.

This! I don't know why the weather is so important that one needs to know it every time one turns on the phone. What did we do before smartphones?
:amaze:

jsk0703

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Feb. will be an interesting month. Hopefully they roll out some other updates first to address things like the sync issues.

Boggy79

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I never had any desire for a notification centre in WP8 but then I picked up Words with Friends. If I miss the toast I have to manually check the game to see if it's my turn, irritating. Your other points, personally I'm not fussed.

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm with the no notifications camp. I have all my most used apps pinned to my start screen and I don't miss a beat. I don't see a valid excuse for missing anything. On wp7 I don't have the luxury of all the little tiles so my start screen could be long. On wp8 you can put so much more on the home due to the small tiles yet people still complain of missing notifications! Am I missing something? Do the little tiles not give you a notification counter??

Al_2

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I never had any desire for a notification centre in WP8 but then I picked up Words with Friends. If I miss the toast I have to manually check the game to see if it's my turn, irritating. Your other points, personally I'm not fussed.

My Words with Friends live tile flips over (medium sized tile) and tells me things like "Your turn with x" or "You have games waiting with x and 3 others". Sometimes it even says "You haven't played with x for a while. Play now" (or similar, can't remember the exact wording). The small tile just shows a number.

Skeet1981

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm happy with the no notification bar/scroll or whatever. If you want it go build an app for it. Why should I have a feature I don't need taking up storage space on my phone? Especially when the home screen tells you everything anyway.

Sure a couple of live tiles need some tweaking, but I've found no problems with hitting the home button rather than dragging from the top or whatever. Its already there it's just a different process and it's highly customisable!

Get used to it!

c8m6p

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Sure, why not I guess. I still don't understand why live tiles aren't enough to tell when you have a text, email or missed call though, but whatever. I know some people need a running counter with every damn tweet and facebook friend request registering on it in real time. LOL

I'm happy with the no notification bar/scroll or whatever. If you want it go build an app for it. Why should I have a feature I don't need taking up storage space on my phone? Especially when the home screen tells you everything anyway.

I'm with the no notifications camp. I have all my most used apps pinned to my start screen and I don't miss a beat. I don't see a valid excuse for missing anything. On wp7 I don't have the luxury of all the little tiles so my start screen could be long. On wp8 you can put so much more on the home due to the small tiles yet people still complain of missing notifications! Am I missing something? Do the little tiles not give you a notification counter??

What's so hard to understand about this? If you get a toast notification and the app is not pinned to the homescreen, and you don't look at your phone right away, the notification is gone, forever, as in, you won't know why your phone rang, and never will. This happened to me the other day and I cursed the lack of the notification center. This is the simplest concept and I don't get why WP fanboys say live tiles are the end-all be-all of notifications. They're not. A notification center is absolutely needed on this platform, whether live tile fanboys say so or not.

"but OMGZ pin all your apps to the startz screenZ!" How about no. I don't want my start screen to be a collection of 800 ugly tiles. Some of us prefer to have a simple, non-overwhelming start screen as opposed to a giant cluster-storm of (mostly ugly) tiles.

Also not necessary, but I would be happy to have this if for no other reason, just so people will STFU about it already.

Are you kidding me? The ability to close apps from the multitasking menu is absolutely a needed addition. The fact that you have to tap back 500 times to close open apps is absolutely frustrating/absurdly awkward and a giant deficiency in this OS. And no, the fact that background apps don't "take up memory" is not a valid excuse. The only people that need to STFU are ****** defenders of WP who overlook gaping holes in the OS that would make it more functional and ultimately attract more people to it.

That being said, I would also like to see the following additions to the OS

1) custom audio/data profiles - e.g. work, home, car, meeting, etc. Much more efficient than manually adjusting bluetooth/wifi/data/audio settings one by one multiple times per day.
2) orientation lock
3) ability to organize apps into hubs/folders - the alphabetical list is not robust. Once you get a good amount of apps installed, some very good and useful apps can become forgotten as you'll never scroll by them if you don't remember the name of them. Also, just a list of 50 apps is flat out awkward. Having some ability for organization is a positive thing.

WP8 was a great step forward and I'm looking forward to what MS can push out to make it even more refined, regardless of what rampant ****** defenders of the platform say.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I would like to see a notification history, it can't be that hard to implement another program which just keeps track of toast notifications in a list... The live tiles work for me if I happen to have them on the start screen but I don't have everything on there and some don't update at all when they have their smallest icon. I don't need something like the iOS and Android notification centers.

As for closing tasks, it's not really necessary. Most tasks aren't actually running in the background, their state is just saved.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As for closing tasks, it's not really necessary. Most tasks aren't actually running in the background, their state is just saved.

While I agree, a poster in another thread said he'd like to see "Surface" gestures on Windows Phone 8. It would be kinda cool to swipe down to end an app instead of always having to hit one of the little buttons at the bottom of the phone.

BUT! That's not a "OMGWENEEDTOCLOSETASKSORWP8ISDOOMED" comment, it's just a "wow, that'd be kinda cool do to that" thing. :)

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
He said why should I have to pin apps to my home screen? I mean then why did you buy into WP8? The whole point is to live tiles and pinning stuff to the screen. Heck even the Verizon commercial highlights that.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Notification center is coming, MS has already said that it didn't get done in time, so lets stop talking about if we need it or not because it's coming.

I'm also not sure about the 'closing running apps' thing. That's already there, you can do that today.
  1. Settings
  2. Swipe over to Applicatons
  3. Tap on Background Tasks

Anything that is running, you will see it in this list, it will say it is running. There you go.. Task manager. The only thing I ever see running in my list is Nokia Drive. The back button doesn't really do anything from what I can tell.. I never use it and I never have things running in the background.

peterpphoto

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I agree we need a notification center sometimes I don't have my phone next to me and miss the toast and have no idea what it was. I don't want to have to pin all my apps to the start screen, I like to have a clean look. I don't know if this has been mentioned but I would also like to be able to create my own hubs with my favorite apps.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
For those that say "There's no excuse for missing a notification, you can just pin the tile to your start screen" that is actually incorrect. Not all apps display every notification alert on the tile. For example, both the Nokia and regular ESPN app allow toast notifications for game starts, score changes, finishes, news, etc, but this info isn't displayed on any tile. If you miss the toast, the alert is gone forever.

-Scienide-

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
This is a very touchy forum tonight. Second thread I've been in with lots of grumpy people taking pot shots at each other.

Ah well, if you can't beat them join them:

STFU guys. I want super mega toast notification centre business all up in my face and stuff. So there.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
For those that say "There's no excuse for missing a notification, you can just pin the tile to your start screen" that is actually incorrect. Not all apps display every notification alert on the tile. For example, both the Nokia and regular ESPN app allow toast notifications for game starts, score changes, finishes, news, etc, but this info isn't displayed on any tile. If you miss the toast, the alert is gone forever.

ESPN app is a great example. All some people want is location to go see their missed toasts. If you don't like it, you won't need to use it. Choice is awesome, isn't it?

I also wish there could be different toast sounds. About the only thing I liked about iOS was everytime there was an ESPN push, it would play the ESPN tune. That way I knew exactly what it was if I wanted to deal with it. I hope that feature comes to WP in the future.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo