08-04-2015 11:10 AM
179 12345 ...
tools
    I just got a Lumia 720, It is strange. I have the same problem of Music duplication. but I cant even see a setting in Music and videos app. I cant see where the cloud sync is at all. Hmmm...
    Any suggestions?
    I have tried all that has been said before in the thread. Nothing has seemed to work
    04-24-2013 10:21 AM
    I just got a Lumia 720, It is strange. I have the same problem of Music duplication. but I cant even see a setting in Music and videos app. I cant see where the cloud sync is at all. Hmmm...
    Any suggestions?
    I have tried all that has been said before in the thread. Nothing has seemed to work
    You might want to try the suggestion in this thread if you haven't already. http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...ps-tricks.html
    04-24-2013 10:27 AM
    tried it still no solution. the same problem exist.
    I get duplicates even if i sync music to phone memory.:-(
    04-24-2013 11:40 AM
    Finally, I've finished my experiment. And things have worked out quite nicely. Unfortunately, it took A LONG TIME, AND EFFORT to get there.

The big issue I've found is that the Phone is trying to update the meta data on the music, even if you tell it NOT to. That and the meta data doesn't match with Microsoft's database, so you need to make it match. I ended up using good old Media Player (Win7, 8) to update all the ID3 tags.

Here is what I did in Media Player:
    In Tools --> Options,
    Rip Music tab, File Name: I set it up on how I like my files to be named (personally I like: Artist-Album-Track-Song title. But you might like something else)
    Library Tab, Retrieve additional information from Internet, select "Overwrite all media information", "Rename music files using rip settings", "Rearrange music..."
    Exit Media Player.

Now for a bit of technical stuff:
    You're going to have to delete Media Player's database of your media stuff. Paste the following in a command prompt
    RMDIR %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\"Media Player" /S
    (Don't worry, you aren't deleting any of your music, videos, pictures. This is just a directory that Media Player creates for it's own house keeping and database)

Now, you want to make sure your computer won't go to "sleep" or "hibernate" for now. Check your control panel, power settings.

Finally, start Media Player. Your library will be empty, which is good, it will fill with information. You will want to leave Media Player to run, and run, and run. Depending on how big your collection of stuff, it could need to run for a day or two, or three, or four, (seriously I only have about 21 gigs of music, ~5,000 files, and I let it run for 2 days before it finished). You can still use your computer, just don't turn it off, log out, sleep or hibernate. If you do, Media Player goes stupid and you will have a mess. I just kept an eye on the hard drive light on my computer when it quit flashing constantly (only flashing occasionally) I figured it was done.

Also, make sure your internet connection is up. Otherwise this is all for not, since we asking Media Player to update all the data on our music from Microsoft's database.

When it was done, I stayed in Media Player and went through my collection, and started to edit any information I thought was completely wrong (wasn't much, a couple Artist name were missing "The" in the front, and other minor things). Finally I used MP3Tag to make sure all my MP3's had their album art was embedded in the actual file (this took the longest time of all).

Now onto getting my music onto the phone:
    I deleted all my existing music off the phone. First I went with Windows Explorer and changed the view options to "Show hidden files and folders, and drives" and unchecked "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)".

Then plug in the phone to my computer, and navigated to "Phone\Music" and found hidden folders of "Album", "Artist", "Playlist", and "PodcastSeries". I deleted the contents for those folders. Then went to the "SD card" on my phone and deleted "Music" and the hidden folders of "Albums", and "Playlists". When I was done, I went into the phone and opened up the Xbox Music app and verified that there wasn't anything there.
    Changed the settings of app to "Connect with Xbox Music" = On, "Xbox Music cloud collection" = Off, "Now playing on Xbox" = Off
    Disconnected the phone from the computer and rebooted the phone.

Started Media Player, connected the phone to the computer, and then used Media Player to sync my music, and playlists back to the phone (SD card in my case).

Guess what... since I have done all of this, everything is GOOD to GO!!! I haven't had any duplicate songs, messed up information what-so-ever on my phone.
    wmgreenjr likes this.
    04-24-2013 03:53 PM
    Finally, I've finished my experiment...
    Thanks for the write-up! How long has the experiment lasted? Just asking because mine was fine for several weeks after doing the remove sd card method until the other night when I went to take a picture (which was saving to the sd card) and all went busto from there. I have tried every method several times over to no avail since then. I am taking a few days off from messing with it. But just to test things out, can you take a few pics where it saves to the sd card as well as a short vid. Then maybe delete a couple songs and then re-sync them to see how things react with the SD card. I'm not a 100% sure I will try your method as I just redid all my tags in MP3Tag but I may if I get in the mood to mess around with this again. But let us know how long you have been in there clear with your method and then update us after experimenting with adding/deleting content to the memory card (if you can and are willing to). I may wait several weeks to see if you have any update (all still ok or @#$!) before I try it.

Thanks again for the write up on this :)
    04-24-2013 05:19 PM
    It's been several weeks now (actually it might be more like a month) and still good. I have added a couple of new songs since. Again, letting Media Player to auto update the ID3 tags before syncing has been successful. As for deleting songs... Aaaaa no. I don't want to ruin it (haven't had a need to, and "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" type of thing).

I save/delete videos and pictures to the SD card regularly, again things have been good.

The one thing I didn't mention, was that I didn't format the SD card in the phone way before I tried this. I used the www.sdcard.org's SD Formatter 4.0 for SD/SDHC/SDXC. The options I chose was "FULL (OverWrite)" and "Format Size Adjustment = ON". Then let the phone store video, photos, music, on SD card.

Although, I might start over, after reading how to get higher bit rates of my music on the phone (space isn't an issue right now).
    wmgreenjr likes this.
    04-24-2013 09:27 PM
    Thanks Guzzler3 I understand not wanting to delete anything at this time since it is working for you. But if you have any changes or if you successfully redo everything if going to that higher bitrate, let us know please. I may try it out in a few days - I just need a few therapeutic days off from this before giving it another go lol.
    04-24-2013 10:36 PM
    Step 1 : format SD card on phone
    Step 2 : hard reset
    Step 3 : turn off any "connect with xbox Music" setting
    Step 4 : Copy music to SD card
    Step 5 : NEVER turn on "connect with xbox Music" settings and your fine

It will give you odd behaviour, for example: if you go to an artist and click on albums and then check xbox music store, MS will tell you there's an error.
    In fact it's not an error, but browsing additional albums on xbox store only works, when "connect with xbox music" is on.
    Right now, XBox Music is a complete mess.
    04-25-2013 08:14 AM
    I just need a few therapeutic days off from this before giving it another go lol.
    I FULLY understand that. Take a break, relax.

One thing I had to accept after doing this, is to accept Microsoft's ID3 tag information. An example is Pink Floyd - The Wall album. When I ripped my copy, I altered everything to be just one big album (tracks 1-26). I liked just selecting "The Wall" and playing it straight through. After doing this, it got switched back to a 2 disk set (tracks 1-13 per disk). I've just accepted it, as is, now
    wmgreenjr likes this.
    04-25-2013 09:20 AM
    Actually, I do believe that this solution has worked for me! I have a new Lumia 720, and I tried a bunch of methods for getting my songs onto the SD card, but every time my Xbox Music would show duplicate songs....usually 4 or 5 each...and would be very, very slow to even open an artist or album.

So, here's what I did...
    • Opened Xbox Music > Settings > Turned Off Cloud Collection
    • Inserted SD card into my phone
    • Settings > Phone Storage > SD card...and then Format the card
    • Prompted by phone to "Use SD card for Music and Videos", but I simply Shut Down the phone instead
    • Restarted the phone
    • Plugged the phone into my computer, found the Windows Phone > SD card folder and copied a few test albums (this process didn't work too well the first time, so I re-tried)
    • Unplugged and checked the albums...looked great
    • Plugged in again and copied the rest of my music (approx. 10GB and 2,600 songs)
    • Unplugged once more and checked...seems great! Also appears to be faster than before.

So, I'm pretty stoked to have this basically fixed for the time being. Would definitely love to see Microsoft (or Nokia) fix this issue permanently. I would also love to see Windows Phone do a better job of "caching" the current list of songs on your SD card, since opening artists and albums should *NOT* be slower than browsing the cloud collection.

Hope this helps someone else :)

Yip
    Sadly, this "fix" is only temporary, it seems. Others have mentioned this.

I've since gone through and repeated the steps, but this time removed the SD card after shutting down the phone. I used an SD card adapter, and copied all of my music into the root of the SD card (rather than into the system made "Music" folder). Opening, browsing and playing music was MUCH faster -- like very noticeably. Sadly, it decided to only see a portion of my music, even though all of it was copied to the SD card. Needless to say, I'm trying it again.

Frustrating.
    wmgreenjr likes this.
    04-26-2013 05:25 PM
    The easiest I found was to remove all the songs both from PC and phone, then delete a few artists from my Xbox music cloud collection because I don't listen to them anymore. After that I reset my phone, and turned on Xbox music cloud collection and redownload all the songs separately without the phone and PC syncing because they're both only getting the source from the cloud. Now I have the exact same collection on both my phone and PC.

It works flawlessly if you set it up properly.
    wmgreenjr likes this.
    04-26-2013 06:51 PM
    So.......as stated yesterday, I started to get duplicate songs within Xbox Music again. Not all albums, but MANY of them...and I'm not sure if I see any reason or rhyme to it. I have *not* enabled the Cloud Collection on this phone, and I had not played those albums. It just decided to duplicate a bunch of songs -- many of them duped 4 or 5 times. Annoying.

I started over and found some interesting results. Here's what I did:

• Go Settings > Phone Storage > SD card > Format Card
    • When prompted for "Do you want to use this location for Photos & Music", don't choose anything -- just shut the phone down
    • Removed the SD card and restarted the phone
    • Launch Xbox Music, select Music, and see what Artists/Albums are still listed (my "Cloud Collection" is off and I have no music on my Phone Storage, so it should be empty)
    • Choose an Artist, pivot to Songs, choose the Select icon, flip up the additional settings, choose Select All, and then hit the Delete icon
    • Do this for all Artists that are present (note: it takes an extra 30 seconds to fully recognize the changes)
    • When finished, your Xbox Music > Music Hub should state that "it's lonely here" and no Artists or Albums should be present
    • Meanwhile, connect the microSD card to your computer (I have an SD card adapter...I did *not* connect my phone)
    • The microSD card should be completely empty -- no files or folders present
    • Create a "Music" folder, and then drag/drop all of your music folders/files into it.
    • When complete, reinsert your microSD card into your phone. It should *NOT* prompt you with the "Do you want to use this for Photos & Music" option
    • Give it a minute to scan the card, and then open the Xbox Music > Music Hub
    • Your Artists and Albums should be present

Note: opening the first Artist may take an extra second or two (slight lag), but opening an album is fast -- as are subsequent artists or albums.
    Also note: with this method, none of my albums or songs had the "sd card" icon next to them...even though they are on the microSD card. I'm not sure why.
    Final note: prior to this method, my Phone Storage > SD card would always show a negative number value for the Other selection. After performing these steps, all numbers appeared to be proper and correct.

I would love to know if this is helpful for anyone else. Right now I've removed my SD card and I'm adding another 20 gigs worth of music. We'll see what my phone does when I reinsert the card. I was mainly impressed at how fast it became to browse Artists and Albums after doing this. Definitely a "work around" at best -- and Microsoft still needs to fix this -- but it may get me past the frustrating couple of months until they resolve it.

Lastly, I don't know (yet) if songs will duplicate again over time. We shall see.

UPDATE: I removed my card, copied nearly 20 gigs of extra music, and re-added it to the phone. It was still seeing my "old catalog" of tracks. I had to remove the card again, delete ALL existing songs/artists/albums from the phone (that took a long time), and then once the Music Hub said "it's lonely here" I added my SD card back in. It sees ALL of the music now, and performance is still very fast. Have nearly 30 gigs of music on my SD card.
    Last edited by Yipcanjo; 04-27-2013 at 06:28 PM.
    wmgreenjr and Zomby Jeezus like this.
    04-27-2013 04:16 PM
    It happened with my Lumia 620 too. I SOLVED this issue by doing the following steps. REMEMBER TO MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR SONGS!

0. Goto XBox Music+Video App. Open Settings> Suggestion> Turn Off.
    1. Connect your phone to the PC
    2. It will show your device as a media device. Open it and goto Phone memory
    3. Open Music Folder.
    4. Delete all songs.
    5. Now we are going to delete the sync'd data. Goto Control Panel> Folder Option> View Tab> Select "Show Hidden Files,Folder, and drives"
    6. Return to the same Music Folder. You will see some folders like Artist, Albums,etc. Open each one of them one-by-one and delete all files in it.(By doing so you will lose all your music from SD card and phone too. So make a backup before)
    7. Delete all songs from the SD card wherever you will find.
    8. Restart your WP8 phone. Now your old data has been deleted.
    9. Start adding music files(not FOLDER) into Music folder of SD/Phone.
    10. When you finish doing it you will see your list got fixed.
    11. Next time when you have to add music either use Bluetooth or if you have Windows 8 OS in your PC then use Windows Phone App from the Windows Store. If you again try to add music files directly from the explorer then you will end up raising the same issue.

Anurag
    Bangalore, INDIA
    04-28-2013 08:14 AM
    Thanks Dosek, what you suggest worked for me.
    05-09-2013 09:30 AM
    Hey guys, my reply might be a little bit late but I found a super simple solution (at least it worked on my Lumia 620) for this duplicate nightmare.
    My songs started to duplicate not on a SD card but on the phone itself. I don't know if there are different reasons why this happens either on the card or phone but anyway, here ia my solution:
    I always put my songs on phone in an old-fashioned way which is drag and drop via Windows Explorer. What I realised is, that if you put songs/folders in one of those default folders which are writen-protected the songs won't duplicate. I think the thing is that if you put everything outside of it, the phone makes copys of those files in these default folders, thus making duplicate songs appear on the phone. So, I just put it in the folder "Artist" and no duplicates for me! Hope this works for everyone..
    05-23-2013 02:35 PM
    Hey guys, my reply might be a little bit late but I found a super simple solution (at least it worked on my Lumia 620) for this duplicate nightmare.
    My songs started to duplicate not on a SD card but on the phone itself. I don't know if there are different reasons why this happens either on the card or phone but anyway, here ia my solution:
    I always put my songs on phone in an old-fashioned way which is drag and drop via Windows Explorer. What I realised is, that if you put songs/folders in one of those default folders which are writen-protected the songs won't duplicate. I think the thing is that if you put everything outside of it, the phone makes copys of those files in these default folders, thus making duplicate songs appear on the phone. So, I just put it in the folder "Artist" and no duplicates for me! Hope this works for everyone..
    Not quite sure what you're saying. I have tried connecting my phone to my PC and dragging and dropping files/folders from my PC to the /music/ folder that is automatically created on my SD card by WP when I format it. All my music is organised into folders by Artist/Album. Now this works initially, but if I subsequently add some extra music to the phone in the same way, I get duplicates appearing. Other things - like updating the Xbox M+V app - also seem to trigger the creation of duplicates.

So are you doing something different to what I am? Have you tried to add additional songs/albums to you music collection since you did the initial copying?
    05-23-2013 07:02 PM
    Well, yes, I already added some new songs after that and still no duplicates on the phone.
    I just put everything here: http://i.imgur.com/tTtVwpu.jpg I did a reset to my phone and other things just to get rid of this duplicating but nothing worked until I tried this.
    Attached Thumbnails untitled.jpg  
    05-24-2013 07:18 AM
    Just disable xbox music sync and that should take care of the dup issue...
    05-24-2013 07:55 AM
    I had this problem a while back but since solved!
    In phone, turn off the Xbox Music options named Connect with Xbox Music, you may want to turn off Xbox music cloud collection too but that will depend on whether you use the service, I don't!
    I am assuming here that the phone has no music stored on it, nor the SD card prior to the next steps.

Format the SD Card in your PC, then in your phone or just do it on the phone, up to you. I did the former.
    Plug the phone into your PC via USB, open the Music folder on the SD card.
    Drag and drop your music files into the folder....DO NOT add folders, just the .mp3, .wma etc etc
    When finished, disconnect the phone!

Not an ideal setup but it works, not had a problem for 4 months now but missing my playlists!
    05-27-2013 04:14 PM
    Just disable xbox music sync and that should take care of the dup issue...
    No this does not solve the issue. I have NEVER had any of the cloud syncing options turned on.
    05-27-2013 06:44 PM
    Format the SD Card in your PC, then in your phone or just do it on the phone, up to you. I did the former.
    Plug the phone into your PC via USB, open the Music folder on the SD card.
    Drag and drop your music files into the folder....DO NOT add folders, just the .mp3, .wma etc etc
    When finished, disconnect the phone!

Not an ideal setup but it works, not had a problem for 4 months now but missing my playlists!
    Question: Have you tried to add any more songs since you did this?

I did exactly as you outlined. Everything was fine until I wanted to add some more music. I connected the phone to the PC and dragged & dropped additional files onto the PC. When I checked the phone, I now had duplicated songs again.
    05-27-2013 06:47 PM
    Well, yes, I already added some new songs after that and still no duplicates on the phone.
    I just put everything here: http://i.imgur.com/tTtVwpu.jpg I did a reset to my phone and other things just to get rid of this duplicating but nothing worked until I tried this.
    From the pic it looks like you are putting the files directly into the phone memory, not onto an SD card. Is this correct? If so, perhaps that's why you're not getting duplicates. I am trying to put songs onto the SD card. I have about 16GB of music - it won't fit on the phone.
    05-27-2013 06:51 PM
    The problem is because of the ID3 tags.

I suggest you to use a music tagging software like Mp3tag, to download the required tags of a song and then try to transfer it.
    You won't find the duplicated songs now (atleast for some audios).
    05-28-2013 05:00 AM
    The problem is because of the ID3 tags.

I suggest you to use a music tagging software like Mp3tag, to download the required tags of a song and then try to transfer it.
    You won't find the duplicated songs now (atleast for some audios).
    No it's not. I use MP3tag and have spent literally days getting all tags on all songs correct and complete. I did this so that everything appears correctly on my Media Center at home. So tags are not the problem. They are correct on my files.
    05-28-2013 06:22 AM
    I am seeing the same issue. Nokia Lumia 822. After first painfully loading my 10 gigs of music using the Windows Media player sync option, everything looks nice and works as expected. Soon after, all artists and albums disappear on SD Card. Only songs are available. Pretty bummed because i use the music on my phone as much as anything else. Im going to try and create a duplicate area with only all of the music i want on my phone and point to that location in the windows phone app, then select and add all. Hopefully, the artists and albums dont disappear. I do miss the heck out of Zune.
    05-28-2013 08:40 AM
179 12345 ...