08-04-2015 12:10 PM
179 ... 45678
tools
    After trying a lot of different suggestions and some guesses of my own, I got 50Gb of music without duplicates. The problem is, I tried so many different things that I'm not sure exactly what I did in my last try. A few things I can remember:

1. formatting SD on the phone seems to help.
    2. setting media and pictures to be saved on SD also seems to help.
    3. transferring the songs into the SD while the card is inside the phone usually leads to duplicates.
    4. transferring the songs into the SD while the card is inside the computer usually works.
    5. having both the "Artist" and "Album Artist" fields of the ID3 tag filled out sometimes leads to more problems.
    6. having both the ID3 tag version 1 and 2 filled out sometimes leads to more problems.

I may delete all tracks and try it again this week. If I do, I'll take notes of each step I make.
    Rodrigo Mendes likes this.
    09-09-2013 01:19 AM
    I reformatted and tried to use Windows Media Player. I synced 1 album. When I checked on the phone I had 1600 songs and hundreds of artists. None of which would play.
    WMP had picked up an old sync file (16MB) from c:\User\Me\Local\App Data\Microsoft\Windows Phone.
    I deleted the file, reformatted, resynced and got my album.. but with two of every track, none of which would play...

I removed the SD card and, as I was getting duplicate photos as well, tried to take a photo - I got two of every photo too..

Unbelieveable.
    09-09-2013 04:31 AM
    I found a terribly clunky, but effective, method when I had an album that would duplicate itself every time I tried to sync it...I even tried to copy it over a file at a time...no luck. As I was deleting the files for the fifth or sixth time, I happened to click on the fold-up menu dots on the bottom...what did I see? an option to copy files to the phone or the SD card.

So, here's what I did:

1. copy the album to the phone's internal memory, rather than the SD card.
    2. go to the album and select the songs.
    3. copy the songs to the SD card...you will now have duplicates of each song.
    4. delete the songs in internal memory
    5. in Windows Explorer, delete the folders created on the phone's internal memory.

it works...it's painful...but no duplicates!
    09-13-2013 03:34 AM
    Don't copy to default folders in SD Card, eg Pictures, Music and Videos. Create your own folder, it works!!!
    09-13-2013 10:44 PM
    Don't copy to default folders in SD Card, eg Pictures, Music and Videos. Create your own folder, it works!!!
    No, it does not.
    I had music on other folders created by me on SD card. After a forceful turn off, it duplicated all music on different folders.
    09-14-2013 02:08 PM
    I was one of the ones who bitched about having to use the Zune software and regret it. Windows phone needs a solid multifunctional desktop application. One thing I miss from blackberry is its desktop software
    09-14-2013 07:48 PM
    Only way I was able to make the music properly form was creating playlists in windows media player or itunes
    09-14-2013 07:52 PM
    I reformatted and tried to use Windows Media Player. I synced 1 album. When I checked on the phone I had 1600 songs and hundreds of artists. None of which would play.
    WMP had picked up an old sync file (16MB) from c:\User\Me\Local\App Data\Microsoft\Windows Phone.
    I deleted the file, reformatted, resynced and got my album.. but with two of every track, none of which would play...

I removed the SD card and, as I was getting duplicate photos as well, tried to take a photo - I got two of every photo too..

Unbelieveable.
    Make a factory reset and format your SD Card on your PC/notebook.
    09-15-2013 10:23 AM
    I have since found that as soon as you start getting duplicates for whatever reason (XBox Music turned on, bad syncing..) then that is it for the phone. There are system files all over that don't help.
    The only way is to start again, hard rest and then drag and drop. It works. Don't sync or use that godawful Desktop CrApp.

If you've tried other ways and are still trying to recover, best to begin from a blank O/S.
    09-15-2013 10:39 AM
    I've gone through the entire thread. People seem to be having various degrees of luck with various methods. I tried some suggestions, but unfortunately none of them worked.

I had disabled the Xbox Music cloud services before putting any music on. I also formatted my SD card several times using the phone itself, and still it managed to list all my music (naturally, none of them were playable).

This is what finally worked for me. (I use Windows Explorer to transfer music.)

1. Backup all your music.
    2. Enable 'show hidden files'.
    3. Go to your 'music' folder on your phone memory. You'll see a couple of hidden folders. Delete the entire contents of those folders. You'll notice that the music files on your SD card have been deleted as well.
    4. Disconnect your phone from the computer. Start the Music+Videos app to make sure it's empty.
    5. Restart your phone.
    6. Connect the phone to your computer and copy the music files back onto the SD card.
    7. Start the Music+Videos app and let it update itself.

It has been twenty-four hours and no duplicates have appeared. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that it stays this way.
    09-27-2013 03:32 PM
    Hi, I'm not sure if this would help.
    But here's what I did, I'm using Lumia 720.
    I started using my phone without an SD card, so I stored my set of songs in my phone and I did'nt encounter any duplication of songs.

But when I started using an SD card, there goes the history of troublesome phone.

In the end, instead of using the SD card as storage for music, I choose the phone for the storing my song, and duplication never happen again.
    This may be not be a permanent solution, but It's either you listen to your songs twice, or just freaking try it.

10-01-2013 06:16 AM
    Actually, what worked for me was to do a hard reset and don't use windows media player on windows 7 for syncing. I just used drag and drop. Also, the update to amber was a must.
    10-02-2013 01:33 PM
    where do i get xbox music. am on lumia 720. i ve nokia music and music+videos. I want to try that sync settings on and off and see if it helps stop this duplicating thing..
    10-05-2013 11:03 AM
    Hi,
    I have a 720 and I am using a Sandisk 32 GB Class 10 sd card. I also had the same issue, duplicate songs and videos. Below is what I did and has worked for me:
    1. I did a SD card format inside my phone and removed it.
    2. Used a MicroSD card reader to transfer my songs and videos into the SD card.
    3. Insert the card again and check.

These simple steps worked for me. But still have to try and put my files directly to the phone. :)
    Hope this will be helpful.
    10-08-2013 04:31 PM
    Even with gdr2 + amber and also with gdr3 (early adopter thing) on a Lumia 820, I suddenly experienced eight- or sixteenfolding of some files after days of flawless listening.
    It's getting a bit more seldom, but still disappointing.
    Anybody experiencing the same?
    10-21-2013 05:27 PM
    Oh, if you want playlists, that's another HUGE nightmare. Seriously, I would wait till an update comes out before dealing with that again.
    I create playlists in Windows Media player on my laptop, then I sync Windows Media Player with my Nokia 920. The playlists, including all the songs therein, sync just fine.
    10-21-2013 08:51 PM
    I have a Samsung Ativ and I was a happy Windows Phone user till now. A few days ago my phone began to start creating duplicate entries. First in the Music section and later on in the Pictures section. I tried all the things I've read so far, nothing worked. I've found out that it has nothing to do with the SD-card or the Windows Phone Desktop-app files on the pc. My phone still creates duplicates (without a SD-card) when I use the internal phone storage. I think it's a bug in the OS and need to be fixed as soon as possible.

The strangest thing on this is, that not every file has a duplicate.Some of them are just shown up once. I have the problem when I'm using the app on my Windows pc and when I use Windows Explorer, that makes no difference. Now I've copied 5 files to my phone SD-card and everything seems to be good, even with the files who had duplicates. I also had other (longer) filenames from apps like 6Tag or InstaWeather Pro, maybe they are the problem??

I have the latest phone update (GDR2) already for a few months and nothing else has been changed on my phone or settings. I'm not using Xbox-Live or SkyDrive, they're switched off on my phone.
    11-03-2013 02:14 AM
    I don't know why there is no function to refresh your media library manually. Just like with media player: background indexing and the possibility to build a new library database from scratch.
    The I wouldn't bother some duplicate files sometime.

As written before, I have gdr3 on my phone and still duplicate files. I surmise, duplication sometimes happens after restarts...
    11-05-2013 04:32 PM
    This recently happened to me too.

Lumia 925 (Thus, no SD card. Internal memory only)
    Lumia Amber installed + Updated to GDR3 Preview
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit with the Windows Phone App

I'd been using the Windows Phone App for Windows 7 to sync music/photos for a few months without any flaws. Recently, during one sync, a bunch of errors popped up afterwards on my computer saying "We couldn't sync blah blah blah" for each and every one of the songs. I noticed my phone wouldn't play any song that was on there. So I resynced - and that's when the duplicates showed up. I removed them from the phone - it didn't help. I removed them using windows explorer - it didn't help. In fact, even my photos began to get duplicated. And some photos were even tripled or quadrupled. Eventually, photos and music were shown on the phone even when I had manually deleted everything using Windows Explorer.

TL;DR - The only thing that worked for me was to hard reset the phone and start all over. I'm hoping this doesn't happen again.
    11-06-2013 01:04 AM
    I've used this method to fix duplication on my Lumia 820 (Works for me 100% of the time if any issues with syncing music), try it:

1.Install, then open Windows Phone App for Desktop, wait a while for all music to be scanned, then go to the Phone tab
    2.Delete all the songs (CTRL + A, then SPACE will Select All)
    3.Close the app
    4.Unplug the phone from the USB slot
    5.In Windows Explorer, go to this location:
    6.C:\Users\<YOUR_ACCOUNT_NAME>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Phone
    7.Delete everything in the folder (I think only one file needs to be deleted but can't remember which one!)
    8.Check the phone for any remaining music files (shouldn't be any!).
    9.Connect the phone via USB and sync your music with either the Windows Phone App (Windows 8 ONLY) or Windows Phone App for Desktop.

WARNING:
    If you use Windows Media Player to sync music, the songs will sync but if the phone is restarted, all the album information disappears and you can only access your music via the SONGS tab in the Music + Video app!
    11-06-2013 11:16 AM
    Hi,

I had reset my lumia 720 for this issue and then sync the files via windows phone app, I guess this issue is occurring because of using explorer to copy files back and forth.
    11-08-2013 02:23 AM
    Hi everyone,

I tried this and have no duplicates anymore (tried several times but still: keep fingers crossed!)

- clear, format SD card, remove everything. Re-format SD while in the phone.
    - attach phone to pc, keep SD card in phone
    - open Explorer and go to Phone > SD card > Music
    - open a music file what was a duplicate one on the phone
    - rightclick and go to tab 'references/entries' (or something; i don't have the English version of Windows 7)
    - there should be only one 'reference', if there are more you got duplicates on the phone

- what I did was using the exact syntax in my song's filenames as showed in these 'references':
    BANDNAME a--TITLE 1.mp3
    BANDNAME a--TITLE 2.mp3 etc.
    Spaces are allowed but not before and after the '--'

- make sure that bandnames, albumnames and songtitles are always written in the same way; use MP3-tag or something.
    - don't play music on the phone while uploading or interacting with the phone

succes!
    12-01-2013 02:15 PM
    If anyone tries this with success, please, come back and post more detailed instructions with screenshots. These findings sound interesting.
    12-01-2013 09:53 PM
    I just recently bought a new Lumia 1520 (with the most up-to-date software) and I too have duplicates on my SD card. I am trying out some of the suggestions here and I will update if anything works.
    12-02-2013 03:17 PM
    OK. So the duplicate song issue was resolved by a hard reset, formatting the SD card on the phone, and then transferring songs onto the SD card via the adapter connected to the PC.

However, the new issue is that it recognizes the music stored on there as "other" storage, not as music. I have 8.5 GBs of music but 4.88 GBs are "other." They're all standard MP3's so that's not the problem. I have to admit, SD support on WP8 is abysmal.
    12-02-2013 08:11 PM
179 ... 45678