Duplicate songs when on SD card

nfbsk

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
GDR2 does in fact fix the duplicate pictures in the camera roll and saved pictures album, but nope, it did not fix the duplicate songs issue for me. I have tried every method, from using the WP desktop app to sync, to manually removing the SD card and transferring on PC, to using standard drag-and-drop. None of them work and I'm seriously considering ditching my 620 and switching to Android. Very, very disappointing.

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
No it doesn't. I'm still getting duplicate pictures post GDR2. The Desktop app is complete crap too, when syncing photos it puts them in a new folder on my memory card instead of in the Camera Roll.

This is the most frustrated I've ever been with a phone.

nfbsk

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
While my existing duplicate photos still exist after GDR2, I simply backed up my data and reformatted my SD card. I haven't gotten a new duplicate photo since.

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
How are you transferring your stuff? Desktop tool, media player?

I just reformatted and followed the steps above and removed all sync info, then synced one album as a test and got duplicate tracks!
The too threw up an error saying it couldn't move some files and these turned out to be the dupes at 0kb each, so the dupe problem starts with the sync.

YoDaMic

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Okay so this is my experience. Using Windows 7, Lumia 822, and 64 GB SD since November. Multiple hard resets and sync tweaking but I've got something that seems to work. Constant duplicates for music (and pictures) since day one.....but no more. Amber update makes alot of difference. Very happy with it.

1. Format SD using phone.

2. Hard reset.

3. Allow new pics and music to save to SD.

4. Make sure phone and apps are fully updated (use SysApp Pusher or the like).

5. Create and sync music playlist using Windows Media Player. (I use Media Monkey for tagging music).

6. Drag and drop pics using Windows explorer.

7. Be happy! Two weeks of Amber and Connect with XBOX Music enabled and working great. Artist backgrounds are all there except for obscure artists and album art is all there. No duplicate music or pics! I don't use SkyDrive for music or pictures.

*****The only problem is that with a soft reset or power cycle all that of the music info (artist, album, genre, playlist) disappears from the phone. Songs are still there, Pictures are fine, and a resync of the playlist fixes the music.*****

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
After trying a lot of different suggestions and some guesses of my own, I got 50Gb of music without duplicates. The problem is, I tried so many different things that I'm not sure exactly what I did in my last try. A few things I can remember:

1. formatting SD on the phone seems to help.
  2. setting media and pictures to be saved on SD also seems to help.
  3. transferring the songs into the SD while the card is inside the phone usually leads to duplicates.
  4. transferring the songs into the SD while the card is inside the computer usually works.
  5. having both the "Artist" and "Album Artist" fields of the ID3 tag filled out sometimes leads to more problems.
  6. having both the ID3 tag version 1 and 2 filled out sometimes leads to more problems.

I may delete all tracks and try it again this week. If I do, I'll take notes of each step I make.

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I reformatted and tried to use Windows Media Player. I synced 1 album. When I checked on the phone I had 1600 songs and hundreds of artists. None of which would play.
WMP had picked up an old sync file (16MB) from c:\User\Me\Local\App Data\Microsoft\Windows Phone.
I deleted the file, reformatted, resynced and got my album.. but with two of every track, none of which would play...

I removed the SD card and, as I was getting duplicate photos as well, tried to take a photo - I got two of every photo too..

Unbelieveable.

premsta

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I found a terribly clunky, but effective, method when I had an album that would duplicate itself every time I tried to sync it...I even tried to copy it over a file at a time...no luck. As I was deleting the files for the fifth or sixth time, I happened to click on the fold-up menu dots on the bottom...what did I see? an option to copy files to the phone or the SD card.

So, here's what I did:

1. copy the album to the phone's internal memory, rather than the SD card.
2. go to the album and select the songs.
3. copy the songs to the SD card...you will now have duplicates of each song.
4. delete the songs in internal memory
5. in Windows Explorer, delete the folders created on the phone's internal memory.

it works...it's painful...but no duplicates!

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I was one of the ones who bitched about having to use the Zune software and regret it. Windows phone needs a solid multifunctional desktop application. One thing I miss from blackberry is its desktop software

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I reformatted and tried to use Windows Media Player. I synced 1 album. When I checked on the phone I had 1600 songs and hundreds of artists. None of which would play.
WMP had picked up an old sync file (16MB) from c:\User\Me\Local\App Data\Microsoft\Windows Phone.
I deleted the file, reformatted, resynced and got my album.. but with two of every track, none of which would play...

I removed the SD card and, as I was getting duplicate photos as well, tried to take a photo - I got two of every photo too..

Unbelieveable.

Make a factory reset and format your SD Card on your PC/notebook.

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I have since found that as soon as you start getting duplicates for whatever reason (XBox Music turned on, bad syncing..) then that is it for the phone. There are system files all over that don't help.
The only way is to start again, hard rest and then drag and drop. It works. Don't sync or use that godawful Desktop CrApp.

If you've tried other ways and are still trying to recover, best to begin from a blank O/S.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I've gone through the entire thread. People seem to be having various degrees of luck with various methods. I tried some suggestions, but unfortunately none of them worked.

I had disabled the Xbox Music cloud services before putting any music on. I also formatted my SD card several times using the phone itself, and still it managed to list all my music (naturally, none of them were playable).

This is what finally worked for me. (I use Windows Explorer to transfer music.)

1. Backup all your music.
2. Enable 'show hidden files'.
3. Go to your 'music' folder on your phone memory. You'll see a couple of hidden folders. Delete the entire contents of those folders. You'll notice that the music files on your SD card have been deleted as well.
4. Disconnect your phone from the computer. Start the Music+Videos app to make sure it's empty.
5. Restart your phone.
6. Connect the phone to your computer and copy the music files back onto the SD card.
7. Start the Music+Videos app and let it update itself.

It has been twenty-four hours and no duplicates have appeared. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that it stays this way.

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm not sure if this would help.
But here's what I did, I'm using Lumia 720.
I started using my phone without an SD card, so I stored my set of songs in my phone and I did'nt encounter any duplication of songs.

But when I started using an SD card, there goes the history of troublesome phone.

In the end, instead of using the SD card as storage for music, I choose the phone for the storing my song, and duplication never happen again.
This may be not be a permanent solution, but It's either you listen to your songs twice, or just freaking try it.

:wink:

nfbsk

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Actually, what worked for me was to do a hard reset and don't use windows media player on windows 7 for syncing. I just used drag and drop. Also, the update to amber was a must.

Notti_Hindoo

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
where do i get xbox music. am on lumia 720. i ve nokia music and music+videos. I want to try that sync settings on and off and see if it helps stop this duplicating thing..

tamanasi

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I have a 720 and I am using a Sandisk 32 GB Class 10 sd card. I also had the same issue, duplicate songs and videos. Below is what I did and has worked for me:
  1. I did a SD card format inside my phone and removed it.
  2. Used a MicroSD card reader to transfer my songs and videos into the SD card.
  3. Insert the card again and check.

These simple steps worked for me. But still have to try and put my files directly to the phone. :)
Hope this will be helpful.

buddler

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Even with gdr2 + amber and also with gdr3 (early adopter thing) on a Lumia 820, I suddenly experienced eight- or sixteenfolding of some files after days of flawless listening.
It's getting a bit more seldom, but still disappointing.
Anybody experiencing the same?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium