Duplicate songs when on SD card

tendoboy1984

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the duplicate songs issue as well. I tried multiple things: formatting the SD card, manually copying the songs from iTunes to the Music folder in my phone, syncing through the WP8 app... None of it worked, the duplicate songs kept reappearing.

I miss my iPod Touch, at least that thing worked right.

wmgreenjr

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the duplicate songs issue as well. I tried multiple things: formatting the SD card, manually copying the songs from iTunes to the Music folder in my phone, syncing through the WP8 app... None of it worked, the duplicate songs kept reappearing.
I miss my iPod Touch, at least that thing worked right.
Try Alex Mello's method a few posts above this and see if it works (include the part about rebooting). I have not tried his method yet because I do not feel like deleting and starting over; but if it works let us know. If it does not, please do the same.
The only method that I have used so far that works is to:
1. Format the card
2. Click the remove card option, then turn phone off, then remove the case, and then take out the SD card
3. Put the SD card in the computer and either sync with a program or drag the music files over into the music folder that was created after the format
4. Put card back in phone...no duplicates

Eventually this is supposed to be fixed...can't wait for the next OS upgrade to see if they got it corrected.

Yipcanjo

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Solved!!!!

After three days testing, testing and testing.... It will appear much simple and incredible, but believe, it works! :cool:

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS
1) FORMAT YOUR SD CARD USING THE WINDOWS PHONE FEATURE ON SETTINGS MENU.
2) IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE FORMAT IS COMPLETE: RESTART YOUR PHONE!!!!

IT WORKED FOR ME AND I NEVER HAD TO DO THIS AGAIN, NOW IT'S FIXED AND ALL SYNC MADE ARE MADE PERFECTLY!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I do believe that this solution has worked for me! I have a new Lumia 720, and I tried a bunch of methods for getting my songs onto the SD card, but every time my Xbox Music would show duplicate songs....usually 4 or 5 each...and would be very, very slow to even open an artist or album.

So, here's what I did...
  • Opened Xbox Music > Settings > Turned Off Cloud Collection
  • Inserted SD card into my phone
  • Settings > Phone Storage > SD card...and then Format the card
  • Prompted by phone to "Use SD card for Music and Videos", but I simply Shut Down the phone instead
  • Restarted the phone
  • Plugged the phone into my computer, found the Windows Phone > SD card folder and copied a few test albums (this process didn't work too well the first time, so I re-tried)
  • Unplugged and checked the albums...looked great
  • Plugged in again and copied the rest of my music (approx. 10GB and 2,600 songs)
  • Unplugged once more and checked...seems great! Also appears to be faster than before.

So, I'm pretty stoked to have this basically fixed for the time being. Would definitely love to see Microsoft (or Nokia) fix this issue permanently. I would also love to see Windows Phone do a better job of "caching" the current list of songs on your SD card, since opening artists and albums should *NOT* be slower than browsing the cloud collection.

Hope this helps someone else :)

Yip

d_abbatelli

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site

Actually, I do believe that this solution has worked for me! I have a new Lumia 720, and I tried a bunch of methods for getting my songs onto the SD card, but every time my Xbox Music would show duplicate songs....usually 4 or 5 each...and would be very, very slow to even open an artist or album.

So, here's what I did...
  • Prompted by phone to "Use SD card for Music and Videos", but I simply Shut Down the phone instead
  • Restarted the phone
  • Plugged the phone into my computer, found the Windows Phone > SD card folder and copied a few test albums (this process didn't work too well the first time, so I re-tried)
  • Plugged in again and copied the rest of my music (approx. 10GB and 2,600 songs)
  • Unplugged once more and checked...seems great! Also appears to be faster than before.

So, I'm pretty stoked to have this basically fixed for the time being. Would definitely love to see Microsoft (or Nokia) fix this issue permanently. I would also love to see Windows Phone do a better job of "caching" the current list of songs on your SD card, since opening artists and albums should *NOT* be slower than browsing the cloud collection.

Yip

I'm trying that soon. But just be careful, because often the problem reappears after few days.

Alex Ziegler

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
As long as I have understood the issue, there may be some kind of bug in the Nokia Music+Video app regarding two things:
  1. Windows Phone using the SD card to manage music and video
  2. The music video acually be named "Music"
I have read every so-called solution, and for me the one that is (still) working is
  1. Remove SD Card
  2. Disable XBOX Cloud Integration
  3. Insert SD Card
  4. Format SD Card
  5. Ignore the prompt asking if WP8 should use the card to manage music and videos
  6. Restart the phone
  7. Open the SD Card in Windows Explorer and create a folder called "Music Library" or anything different than just "Music"
  8. Sync/copy/throw your music inside that folder
Hope it helps! It's been working for me.

egp

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
The problem is the SD Card. Do not store your music on the SD Card. Use the SD for Photos and Videos only. Reset the phone, put music to the phone All will be fine

howiewolverine

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I wrote Nokia about this, and received the following disappointing response yesterday:

"In response to your concern, we are sorry to hear that all your media files on the memory card were listed multiple times. If you are using a non-Nokia memory card on your phone, we would like to inform you that we cannot guarantee the compatibility or full functionality of third party accessories. It is necessary to use the appropriate Nokia original enhancement tested and approved for a Nokia phone, as each one has been specifically designed for use with a particular Nokia phone.

The use of third party accessories, such as memory cards that are not compatible or approved for use with your Nokia phone model could also cause irreparable damage to the device and may invalidate any approval or warranty applying to the phone.

For your reference, provided below are the compatible MicroSD card for your Nokia Lumia 822:

1. Nokia 1 GB MicroSD card MU-22
2. Nokia 2 GB MicroSD card MU-37
3. Nokia 4 GB MicroSD card MU-41
4. Nokia 8 GB MicroSD card MU-43
5. Nokia 16 GB MicroSD card MU-44
6. Nokia 32 GB MicroSD card MU-45."

This response is problematic for a couple of different reasons. I bought my Lumia 822 in large part because of the MicroSD option. It was reasonable for me to believe that the standard cards would work, as they work in blackberries, Samsung Android phones, etc. Further, you can't even find the Nokia cards around. I feel taken a little bit by both Nokia and Verizon if this is Nokia's permanent position on this.

wmgreenjr

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
SanDisk has this for compatibility:
SanDisk | Product Compatibility Tool

The cards Nokia listed for you means I would be <bleep> out of luck as it seems those are mainly supplied in the UK and when I search Nokia USA for those nothing comes up...nor can I find a documented compatibility list on Nokia's website. After having a smooth run lately on my card, I started having issues with it last night and no methods (including the several posted above and in other threads and the method that I last detailed that worked) seem to be working.

I have no qualms (kind of a lie) buying another card on a compatibility list if it was actually available for purchase or if an actual documented list of cards was listed in Nokia support webpage (preferably including Nokia and non-Nokia brands). Whether this is a Nokia hardware issue, Nokia firmware issue, WP8 OS issue, or SD card issue - I just want a 100% workable solution. Don't sell phones with memory cards that are unusable blimey! Not to mention the OS limitations of using a memory card which I was unaware of until after purchase.

PS those are class 4 cards...usable for HD video???
PPS I just searched one of the UK sites and the MU-45 is discontinued???!!! Nokia MU-45 MicroSD Card - 32GB
"Sorry, but Nokia MU-45 MicroSD Card - 32GB has been discontinued and is no longer available to order. For your convenience we've selected some alternative items that we think you may be interested in."

If it is a firmware issue then I guess Nokia has all of their bases covered by telling you to use a card that is discontinued. Which means you would get a third party card and then they can use that excuse to say 'No support for you...we told you to use that card that you can't buy so warranty void baby!" - lol....sorry I am tired and frustrated and still tired.

If any input or corrections to this, please let me know.

spacejovi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I wrote Nokia about this, and received the following disappointing response yesterday:

"In response to your concern, we are sorry to hear that all your media files on the memory card were listed multiple times. If you are using a non-Nokia memory card on your phone, we would like to inform you that we cannot guarantee the compatibility or full functionality of third party accessories. It is necessary to use the appropriate Nokia original enhancement tested and approved for a Nokia phone, as each one has been specifically designed for use with a particular Nokia phone.

The use of third party accessories, such as memory cards that are not compatible or approved for use with your Nokia phone model could also cause irreparable damage to the device and may invalidate any approval or warranty applying to the phone.

For your reference, provided below are the compatible MicroSD card for your Nokia Lumia 822:

1. Nokia 1 GB MicroSD card MU-22
2. Nokia 2 GB MicroSD card MU-37
3. Nokia 4 GB MicroSD card MU-41
4. Nokia 8 GB MicroSD card MU-43
5. Nokia 16 GB MicroSD card MU-44
6. Nokia 32 GB MicroSD card MU-45."

This response is problematic for a couple of different reasons. I bought my Lumia 822 in large part because of the MicroSD option. It was reasonable for me to believe that the standard cards would work, as they work in blackberries, Samsung Android phones, etc. Further, you can't even find the Nokia cards around. I feel taken a little bit by both Nokia and Verizon if this is Nokia's permanent position on this.

At first I bought the Sandisk 16G Class 10, which was recommended by the SanDisk | Product Compatibility Tool by the way, and it had serious compatibility issues with my phone L820. Froze while copying, froze at restart from portico update, song duplication, and so on.Then I tried Kingston 16G Class 4 from my droid. But still, compatibility issues, froze when taking pictures. Finally I started to use the Nokia 2 GB MicroSD card MU-37 from my old E71. It worked fine but I still got duplicated songs. So the sd card is not the problem for song duplication. It's the software, namely, xbox music. Here is my post.

Last edited:

howiewolverine

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Xbox music may address the duplicate song issue. But it does not explain duplicate pictures and videos, which are also an issue on the MicroSD card. BTW - I agree this is a software issue. But, the problem is broader than Xbox music.

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I just got a Lumia 720, It is strange. I have the same problem of Music duplication. but I cant even see a setting in Music and videos app. I cant see where the cloud sync is at all. Hmmm...
Any suggestions?
I have tried all that has been said before in the thread. Nothing has seemed to work

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I just got a Lumia 720, It is strange. I have the same problem of Music duplication. but I cant even see a setting in Music and videos app. I cant see where the cloud sync is at all. Hmmm...
Any suggestions?
I have tried all that has been said before in the thread. Nothing has seemed to work

You might want to try the suggestion in this thread if you haven't already. http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/222709-windows-phone-music-tips-tricks.html

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Finally, I've finished my experiment. And things have worked out quite nicely. Unfortunately, it took A LONG TIME, AND EFFORT to get there.

The big issue I've found is that the Phone is trying to update the meta data on the music, even if you tell it NOT to. That and the meta data doesn't match with Microsoft's database, so you need to make it match. I ended up using good old Media Player (Win7, 8) to update all the ID3 tags.

Here is what I did in Media Player:
In Tools --> Options,
Rip Music tab, File Name: I set it up on how I like my files to be named (personally I like: Artist-Album-Track-Song title. But you might like something else)
Library Tab, Retrieve additional information from Internet, select "Overwrite all media information", "Rename music files using rip settings", "Rearrange music..."
Exit Media Player.

Now for a bit of technical stuff:
You're going to have to delete Media Player's database of your media stuff. Paste the following in a command prompt
RMDIR %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\"Media Player" /S
(Don't worry, you aren't deleting any of your music, videos, pictures. This is just a directory that Media Player creates for it's own house keeping and database)

Now, you want to make sure your computer won't go to "sleep" or "hibernate" for now. Check your control panel, power settings.

Finally, start Media Player. Your library will be empty, which is good, it will fill with information. You will want to leave Media Player to run, and run, and run. Depending on how big your collection of stuff, it could need to run for a day or two, or three, or four, (seriously I only have about 21 gigs of music, ~5,000 files, and I let it run for 2 days before it finished). You can still use your computer, just don't turn it off, log out, sleep or hibernate. If you do, Media Player goes stupid and you will have a mess. I just kept an eye on the hard drive light on my computer when it quit flashing constantly (only flashing occasionally) I figured it was done.

Also, make sure your internet connection is up. Otherwise this is all for not, since we asking Media Player to update all the data on our music from Microsoft's database.

When it was done, I stayed in Media Player and went through my collection, and started to edit any information I thought was completely wrong (wasn't much, a couple Artist name were missing "The" in the front, and other minor things). Finally I used MP3Tag to make sure all my MP3's had their album art was embedded in the actual file (this took the longest time of all).

Now onto getting my music onto the phone:
I deleted all my existing music off the phone. First I went with Windows Explorer and changed the view options to "Show hidden files and folders, and drives" and unchecked "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)".

Then plug in the phone to my computer, and navigated to "Phone\Music" and found hidden folders of "Album", "Artist", "Playlist", and "PodcastSeries". I deleted the contents for those folders. Then went to the "SD card" on my phone and deleted "Music" and the hidden folders of "Albums", and "Playlists". When I was done, I went into the phone and opened up the Xbox Music app and verified that there wasn't anything there.
Changed the settings of app to "Connect with Xbox Music" = On, "Xbox Music cloud collection" = Off, "Now playing on Xbox" = Off
Disconnected the phone from the computer and rebooted the phone.

Started Media Player, connected the phone to the computer, and then used Media Player to sync my music, and playlists back to the phone (SD card in my case).

Guess what... since I have done all of this, everything is GOOD to GO!!! I haven't had any duplicate songs, messed up information what-so-ever on my phone.

wmgreenjr

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Finally, I've finished my experiment...
Thanks for the write-up! How long has the experiment lasted? Just asking because mine was fine for several weeks after doing the remove sd card method until the other night when I went to take a picture (which was saving to the sd card) and all went busto from there. I have tried every method several times over to no avail since then. I am taking a few days off from messing with it. But just to test things out, can you take a few pics where it saves to the sd card as well as a short vid. Then maybe delete a couple songs and then re-sync them to see how things react with the SD card. I'm not a 100% sure I will try your method as I just redid all my tags in MP3Tag but I may if I get in the mood to mess around with this again. But let us know how long you have been in there clear with your method and then update us after experimenting with adding/deleting content to the memory card (if you can and are willing to). I may wait several weeks to see if you have any update (all still ok or @#$!) before I try it.

Thanks again for the write up on this :)

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
It's been several weeks now (actually it might be more like a month) and still good. I have added a couple of new songs since. Again, letting Media Player to auto update the ID3 tags before syncing has been successful. As for deleting songs... Aaaaa no. I don't want to ruin it :grincry: (haven't had a need to, and "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" type of thing).

I save/delete videos and pictures to the SD card regularly, again things have been good.

The one thing I didn't mention, was that I didn't format the SD card in the phone way before I tried this. I used the www.sdcard.org's SD Formatter 4.0 for SD/SDHC/SDXC. The options I chose was "FULL (OverWrite)" and "Format Size Adjustment = ON". Then let the phone store video, photos, music, on SD card.

Although, I might start over, after reading how to get higher bit rates of my music on the phone (space isn't an issue right now).

wmgreenjr

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Guzzler3 :smile: I understand not wanting to delete anything at this time since it is working for you. But if you have any changes or if you successfully redo everything if going to that higher bitrate, let us know please. I may try it out in a few days - I just need a few therapeutic days off from this before giving it another go lol.

Sascha Hoppe

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Step 1 : format SD card on phone
Step 2 : hard reset
Step 3 : turn off any "connect with xbox Music" setting
Step 4 : Copy music to SD card
Step 5 : NEVER turn on "connect with xbox Music" settings and your fine

It will give you odd behaviour, for example: if you go to an artist and click on albums and then check xbox music store, MS will tell you there's an error.
In fact it's not an error, but browsing additional albums on xbox store only works, when "connect with xbox music" is on.
Right now, XBox Music is a complete mess.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I just need a few therapeutic days off from this before giving it another go lol.
I FULLY understand that. Take a break, relax.

One thing I had to accept after doing this, is to accept Microsoft's ID3 tag information. An example is Pink Floyd - The Wall album. When I ripped my copy, I altered everything to be just one big album (tracks 1-26). I liked just selecting "The Wall" and playing it straight through. After doing this, it got switched back to a 2 disk set (tracks 1-13 per disk). I've just accepted it, as is, now :cry:

Yipcanjo

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

So, here's what I did...
  • Restarted the phone

Yip

Sadly, this "fix" is only temporary, it seems. Others have mentioned this.

I've since gone through and repeated the steps, but this time removed the SD card after shutting down the phone. I used an SD card adapter, and copied all of my music into the root of the SD card (rather than into the system made "Music" folder). Opening, browsing and playing music was MUCH faster -- like very noticeably. Sadly, it decided to only see a portion of my music, even though all of it was copied to the SD card. Needless to say, I'm trying it again.

Frustrating.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786