Duplicate songs when on SD card

tcedwards

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
This is the worst thing about wp, I didn't have a problem with dubs until I updated my music, about to hard reset, need to clear some stuff anyway, seems like its an sd card problem, can't wait for my icon!

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I faced this issue previously and below solution worked for me without hard reset.
connect your phone to PC ...windows7 or windows 8 organize menu -> folder and options -> view . select show hidden files and uncheck the the box for hide protected operating system file.
Take backup of your music files
Now in phone memory -> music --> delete all files ..note that this will automatically delete music on SD card(Empty folder).
Now copy music to SD card....Hope this will help :)

Hotrippr

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I had so many copies of videos and music it was driving me crazy, so I started with 1 file to see if I could replicate the problem and I did.The problem is that in the music folders there are hidden files that only the phone can see, even if you have view hidden objects on your PC you still wont see them, so these hidden objects are library contents that include your list of music on the phone.The duplicates coincide with the number of times you have deleted and replaced the files on your phone using any method but deleting directly by using your phones interface, and what you have on Xbox music cloud(I also get duplicates in my Xbox music Collection on my PC but that's another story).
You have 3 options:
1.Delete every copy of the file(s) using your phone's interface then copy them back(time consuming).
2.Hard reset and reformat of Sd(also time consuming).
3. see my post here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/206708-2.htm
The latter is the quickest, just ignore the parts about playlist if you don't want playlists. All 3 methods require that you use the phone's interface to delete files(videos included) from then on.

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Ok I had a similar problem. My songs were getting repeated everytime I restarted the phone. I had about 400 songs and soon the music app was so huge with over 1800+ songs, I could no longer adjust. So I bought a card adapter and formatted the hell out of it. 3-4 times in different settings. Still same issue. But then it became worse. The phone would not recognize any files (music, picture or videos) and treat them as "other".

Today I did a hard reset and everything fine now. I hope this helps. But remember to backup your files and settings..;)

Hotrippr

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Ok I had a similar problem. My songs were getting repeated everytime I restarted the phone. I had about 400 songs and soon the music app was so huge with over 1800+ songs, I could no longer adjust. So I bought a card adapter and formatted the hell out of it. 3-4 times in different settings. Still same issue. But then it became worse. The phone would not recognize any files (music, picture or videos) and treat them as "other".

Today I did a hard reset and everything fine now. I hope this helps. But remember to backup your files and settings..;)

Just don't delete them any other way except by your phone's music interface, (or by Windows Phone app/Desktop program(not tested), otherwise you will be back in the same boat again.

Aaron Daw

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
After 2 days having the same issue on my Lumia 720 with Amber update suddenly i had an idea that worked very well and I hope it can help others.

If you want to have your playlists first follow these steps
1) Using Windows Media Player create an empty playlist with the name you need/want.
2) Repeat the step one for every playlist you want to add.
3) Sync using the Windows Phone desktop app, remember this will only sync empty playlist that we gonna need later.

General steps (with or without playlists)
1) Connect your phone and be sure you can see hidden files, then delete all the content from the /Music/albums and /Music/artists folders.
2) Connect your SD card into a card reader and copy-paste your songs in the music folder, it doesn't matter if they have subfolders.
3) Put the SD card back to your phone.

If you are not using playlists, the above steps were all you needed... but if you are
1) Open your phone (not the SD card) and find the /Music/Playlists folder.
2) You will see every playlists you created at the beginning, open the one where you wanna add songs and notice that there's an empty list.
3) Having the SD card in your phone, open the route where the music you want in your playlists is (you may want to open a new file explorer windows).
4) Select all your songs and drag them into the opened playlist in the step 2.
5) Press Accept when it finish and repeat for every playlists.

Well that's all... I know it sounds like a long list of steps but it becomes very fast and easy but also I know this is not a proper solution and I hope MS could fix this once it for all.

Hotrippr

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
It makes no difference how you add music or playlist, the key is You MUST delete them using the phone or the Windows Phone app on your PC or you'll get duplicates.

iain_h

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem for the first six months of owning my 720. I found that since I installed the amber update it has disappeared (sorry if somene else has said this already), and two months on it still hasn't come back. I haven't enabled X-box music this time, just to be on the safe side.

Andrew_12191a

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I found out that it has nothing to do with an sd-card. This week I've copied two albums to my internal phone memory. After a few times playing this albums, my phone started to duplicate some tracks again. I had this issue before and wiped my complete phone and sd-card, after the wipe I only copied photos back to my sd-card and everything was and is still fine (I did a hard-reset).

One of the albums that had a few duplicates had mp3-files with cover-art in it. I was wondering if Windows Phone can handle such mp3-files and maybe they occure the duplicates error?? Any suggestions somebody?

trinkner

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I won't be buying a Windows Phone until this bug is fixed. I'm using a Nokia 808 with Symbian. The music experience is just what you would want/expect: put the files on your SD card and/or internal memory using whatever method you want and the phone finds and plays them flawlessly.

Not getting a very basic function of a modern phone right is embarrassing for Nokia and Microsoft. Even "dumb" multimedia feature phones from years ago could do this flawlessly. Why does Microsoft make it so hard to like their phones, even when I want to?

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
If this isn't addressed and 100% fixed with Windows 8.1, I'm leaving Windows Phone for Sailfish or I'm going back to Android. Music is my number one priority in a device, and I cannot deal with this anymore. It's a joke.

Stephen Pedersen

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Music and other audio files are my number one priority also. Microsoft's support on this issue has bee completely silent. I want an answer to when this will be fixed. Im tired of wasting my time trying to tippy-toe to try and get my phone's music corrupted my duplicates. They are testing the SD Card for apps, but are they also fixing this nasty bug? I would have rather they left out the SD Card than let me waste HOURS on trying to get their crappy coding to work. How do we get Microsoft to give us an answer on this nasty bug?

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

jaydev acharya

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Yes I face same problem in my Lumia 1320 also, when I coped song my brother pc then I have same multiple file like mp3, photos, videos are multiple the I try one trick I remove all data in my mobile then I copy other data my other one pc then after I never face this problem. I hope this trick work with you two. My Friend.

jaydev acharya

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Yes I face same problem in my Lumia 1320 also, when I coped song my brother pc then I have same multiple file like mp3, photos, videos are multiple the I try one trick I remove all data in my mobile then I copy other data my other one pc then after I never face this problem. I hope this trick work with you two. My Friend. if your problem solve then please share this massage all other friends.
thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett