Early adoption

Status
Not open for further replies.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Honestly people.

If you have little to no tolerance for "bugs" or flaws of any kind, don't buy a brand new device on a brand new OS that was just released.

It's not that complicated.

Stick with proven stuff that's been out for a while and we'll all be happier.

Thanks.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. I would say that given the huge change wp underwent (change in kernel) I would say that the thing is working quite well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Honestly people.

If you have little to no tolerance for "bugs" or flaws of any kind, don't buy a brand new device on a brand new OS that was just released.

Thanks.

A lot of apps didn't get any noticeable change - such as calendar and clock.... How hard could it be to add a timer in a two year time frame?

Also, I think I am quite impressed by the OS itself, but the first party apps like music is where the phone sucks. And Xbox video is broken.

There are so many things cannot be blamed on *new*. If I recall correctly, iPhone came with a great music player (maybe better than music app we have on WP today) and iTunes video never got so messed up.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
What platforms don't have issues? No device is without flaws but one thing I know is that the new WP8 devices are a breath of fresh air to the smart phone race!

My 822 IMO is 99% flawless which is a lot better than any other platform that I have owned.

AZBrowncoat

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Honestly people.

Thanks.
Overall I like the Windows Phone 8 OS and think it is a refreshing take on smartphones, and I will acknowledge that there are bugs and flaws in any OS, whether they are a "brand new" OS or or a "mature" OS as I had minor annoyances even with iOS 6.

However - what MS has released is an OS with very serious issues with basic functionality that Microsoft has had years to work out that even a "brand new" OS should not have.

At this stage any smartphone should be able to serve dual purpose as a PMD (Personal Media Device) and WP8 fails miserably.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/202388-holy-crap-syncing-wp8-trainwreck.html
...this is a core functionality that for many people is broken.

As I said I like the OS, and will likely keep my phone as I have alternatives for music and video playback, but to give MS a pass just because it's a "new OS" is unfair to those that bought their devices expecting certain basic functions that all smartphones have.

Steephill

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I havent had a problem with my phone the last few days I've had it. I have 5 movies that synced without a problem, using WMP. I also have playlists and my music library of 1,300+ songs that arent having any problems with album art or anything. I kinda am puzzled at all the problems other people are having. I think the way WP handles notifications is excellent. Battery life gets me through the day, and I have all the apps I need. The keyboard also works great.

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I havent had a problem with my phone the last few days I've had it. I have 5 movies that synced without a problem, using WMP. I also have playlists and my music library of 1,300+ songs that arent having any problems with album art or anything. I kinda am puzzled at all the problems other people are having. I think the way WP handles notifications is excellent. Battery life gets me through the day, and I have all the apps I need. The keyboard also works great.

Thank you. We shouldn't have to use WMP, but given that it is there and works flawlessly, makes me wonder why Zune every existed (for Windows users at least). Of course, there are probably syncing features I don't use, which results in me not seeing the issues others are seeing.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
but to give MS a pass just because it's a "new OS" is unfair to those that bought their devices expecting certain basic functions that all smartphones have.

At the risk of being labeled a "Microsoft apologist" or a "******", to expect a new OS on new hardware to work flawlessly in every situation is unfair to Microsoft. I mean, come on... there are many, many people who are not having these same problems with their WP8 devices, yet no one wants to admit that the platform may not be horribly flawed and that it just might be situational. There is no possible way that MS could have tested every device with every app combination with every sync method on every desktop OS before the release of WP8.

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
At the risk of being labeled a "Microsoft apologist" or a "******", to expect a new OS on new hardware to work flawlessly in every situation is unfair to Microsoft. I mean, come on... there are many, many people who are not having these same problems with their WP8 devices, yet no one wants to admit that the platform may not be horribly flawed and that it just might be situational. There is no possible way that MS could have tested every device with every app combination with every sync method on every desktop OS before the release of WP8.

That's not an excuse anymore. MS could play that card with the WP7 release, but that was two years ago. And the mobile industry moves at a relentless pace so they need to get with the times. It' about moving the platform forward and they've been too slow at that.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's not an excuse anymore. MS could play that card with the WP7 release, but that was two years ago.

You're right, it's not an excuse. It's a factual reason. WP8 is a completely different operating system than is WP7. Sure, the UI is similar, but the underlying OS is... not. At all. Are you any type of a developer? Do you know what goes in to re-developing or porting an OS's kernel and all the apps which make calls to that kernel? The fact they were able to do so and maintain the same level of functionality as WP7 alone, without the advances they did put in to WP8, is a feat worthy of applause.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
You're right, it's not an excuse. It's a factual reason. WP8 is a completely different operating system than is WP7. Sure, the UI is similar, but the underlying OS is... not. At all. Are you any type of a developer? Do you know what goes in to re-developing or porting an OS's kernel and all the apps which make calls to that kernel? The fact they were able to do so and maintain the same level of functionality as WP7 alone, without the advances they did put in to WP8, is a feat worthy of applause.

I appreciate the amount of effort it takes to do what they did, but in reality that doesn't mean a thing to the customer. The average person doesn't care what kernel is underneath the OS, but they will get annoyed at stability issues, missing features, etc. I've been a WP user since Gen 1 WP7, but I feel like MS is really trying my patience with WP8. I feel like WP8 was touted as the version that we've all been waiting for, but IMO it added very few compelling features, and in some cases it took a step back in terms of functionality.

How long does the early adopter excuse last? When WP9 comes out, will we all be early adopters again?

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The average person doesn't care what kernel is underneath the OS, but they will get annoyed at stability issues, missing features, etc.

If you're here - on this forum - you're not an "average person". Average people don't get on forums to discuss the in's and out's of their favorite smartphones. Average people just... use them, their favorite smartphones.

If you're here - on this forum - you're the elite smartphone user. You should understand things like "an entirely new kernel to bring compatibility across the Windows 8 platform," that WP7 and WP8 are different OSs, and that yes - we are early adopters.

If WP9 makes as radical of a departure from WP8 as WP8 did from WP7, then yes, everyone who gets a WP9 device during its first month of availability will be an early adopter. But that's not an excuse, it's reality... and I don't think that's going to happen.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
A lot of apps didn't get any noticeable change - such as calendar and clock.... How hard could it be to add a timer in a two year time frame?

Also, I think I am quite impressed by the OS itself, but the first party apps like music is where the phone sucks. And Xbox video is broken.

There are so many things cannot be blamed on *new*. If I recall correctly, iPhone came with a great music player (maybe better than music app we have on WP today) and iTunes video never got so messed up.

I do not believe you have any clue to what you are saying Fardream. MS didn't only make major changes to WP. They had to manage major changes to Win 8 (which includes a tablet rollout), WP, and Xbox. Thats balls to the wall. Top that all off with the pressure of putting it all on the line that these changes will succeed.

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I understand the whole "different kernel" thing. Sure, it's great, and will benefit us in the long run. I don't think anybody is disputing that - but it is NOT a catch-all excuse for any problem with the OS. Microsoft shouldn't be applauded for doing the bare minimum that they can get away with.

Not to mention, there are areas which received substantial changes unrelated to the kernel; the best example being Xbox Music. Making it so difficult and unintuitive to download a group of songs which is already in my cloud collection is more to do with basic functionality than making calls to the kernel. A simple menu entry added to a long-press menu would have sufficed. This is not just missing functionality; this is a step backwards.

Before I get flamed for having something negative to say: of *course* I'm thankful it's still there at all, blah blah, I know how to download songs manually even when there are massive bugs making it very difficult for me to do that; in short, I'm not an idiot and I have my eyes open - and they spy issues with the OS. That's why there are patches. I trust that MS will resolve the issues, and I'm aware that as an early adopter I will encounter some issues. But having the phone crash on a regular basis while trying to download some songs is a bit much.

I also understand that there are people out there who use their phones differently to me, and may not encounter the same problems as me - but some people seem to be assuming that because they don't have problems, nobody else should.

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
If you're here - on this forum - you're not an "average person". Average people don't get on forums to discuss the in's and out's of their favorite smartphones. Average people just... use them, their favorite smartphones.

If you're here - on this forum - you're the elite smartphone user. You should understand things like "an entirely new kernel to bring compatibility across the Windows 8 platform," that WP7 and WP8 are different OSs, and that yes - we are early adopters.

If WP9 makes as radical of a departure from WP8 as WP8 did from WP7, then yes, everyone who gets a WP9 device during its first month of availability will be an early adopter. But that's not an excuse, it's reality... and I don't think that's going to happen.

No, the reality is that MS is trying to sell phones to the "average person", as you said. That's exactly the point, the customer does not care about kernel changes and whatnot. And frankly, after 2 years, neither do the "elite smartphone users" (whatever that's supposed to be)...

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

I agree that I'm not the "average person." But MS is marketing WP as the phone for everyone, not just for techies or people who just like to try new things.

And I'm aware of the implications of a kernel rewrite, but it's not really a good explanation for me. Look at Windows 8. To my knowledge that was also a kernel rewrite, but they managed to bring new and compelling things to the OS at the same time.

Maybe I'm getting off topic here, but I guess I'm just disappointed by the rate of development of WP. I got my Trophy at launch, back in the NoDo days (Verizon didn't have any phones pre-Nodo). The OS was really raw back then but I think most users were in it because they saw great potential from WP. Then Mango came out and it was a huge step forward. There were still plenty of holes in the OS afterward, but Mango added so many things, it made it easy to be encouraged by MS's progress. It was exciting to be an early adopter when I could see the OS growing like that.

Then over the next year I waited with excitement for WP8. But then WP8 finally came along and aside from the start screen, didn't bring much to the table for those of us who already had a WP7. So many little issues that were there since day one are still there, and probably will be for at least another year when the next big update comes. It really dampened my excitement for the future of WP. It's just a disappointment and I think that's at least part of the reason why people are posting complaints.

Sorry this got a little long. I just felt that this was as good a place as any to post my feelings about being an early adopter.

MojoHand69

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

I'm a mainstream average smartphone user. I came to this forum to research the new WP8 OS and phones. I don't even know what an elite user is. I just want my phone to work as advertised and for the most part it has. I'm not an early adopter nor has the WP8 marketing campaign been aimed at early adopters it has been aimed squarely at mainstream smartphone users. I doubt the MS would agree that only "Early Adopters" should purchase WP8 phones.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
How long does the early adopter excuse last? When WP9 comes out, will we all be early adopters again?

No because WP9 and all future versions of WP for a long, long time are going to be based on the NT kernel.

But I would agree with you that if they haven't added many, if not most of the highly demanded features by the end of 2013, there is really no excuse.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site

the Zune player in wp7 was better than iPod/itunes just now there is no Zune desktop. I haven't played too much around with Xbox music, hopefully they make the necessary fixes
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos