Early adoption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so, I'm running Windows 8 Professional on a Toshiba laptop. I downloaded and installed Zune software 4.8, bought 400 points, and downloaded a song. I then closed the Zune software (and the Desktop), plugged in my Lumia 820, fired up the Windows Phone app, and synced the song I'd just purchased. I unplugged my phone, started Nokia Music, and played the song I'd just purchased.

Just to be sure, I backed out of Nokia Music and started the stock WP8 Music & Videos app and played the song I'd just purchased through that app as well.

The only odd thing I can see is that doing so somehow changed my avatar here on wpcentral. That's... odd.

I will say that yeah, the Zune software is a damned fine app. I don't know why they changed it either. But... it seems to work for me.

Purchasing songs outright gives you a DRM-free copy. I have tested this in SAM Broadcaster (it cannot play files protected with ANY DRM...) and they play fine. The name is probably a giveaway, but SAMBC is used for broadcasting radio. They've probably not included that function deliberately... Still, would be nice if someone could PAL script it so it would work... would make sourcing music for my shows a **** of a lot easier... 192kbps WMA... to say I broadcast at 96kbps... it's actually good quality.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The level of apology here, honestly, is almost at Apple levels. I'm as big a MS ****** as there is, but there's no question, as much as I love my 822, that MS dropped the ball on many fronts with this release. To me it's pretty clear that things were rushed and as a result the OS isn't quite fully baked. A list of things that have aggravated me in just the past 4 days I've owned this phone -

1. No EAP-TTLS support - mindboggling as this is a standard that's been present since Android 2.x; it's a widely used standard in universities, hospital, etc., and considering how the newly released Win8/RT has native support I'm not sure why WP8 does not. This is HUGE for me as I can't access wifi at school where the cavernous monstrosity of the buildings I inhabit daily prevent reliable cell reception. Anyone in my position less devoted to the platform likely would have returned this phone for this reason alone.
2. Essentially zero integration with Win8. I have 2 Win8/RT devices - my laptop and Surface, with the Surface bought and set up before my laptop was upgraded. When I installed Win8 on my laptop, all the settings for mail and calendar (Exchange, google, facebook) immediately were synced. No such luck with WP8. What's the deal? On this note, it's almost MORE confusing that WP8 and Win8 share a design language, because none of the functions are shared. Contextual search in WP8? Nope. Swipe down to close in WP8? Nope. Swipe right to switch apps in WP8? Nope. I find myself constantly trying to do this with my phone, which I suppose is a real credit to the intuitiveness of the Win8 interface, but at least the first two of these should have been implemented.
3. No wireless sync. This was a feature since NoDo, so I can't quite understand what the deal is here. Lame, and gives up a feature no other OS could offer.
4. No group MMS with verizon. I understand this is a carrier issue, but MS shouldn't have allowed them to disable what is a very critical day-to-day function for many of us. This is a huge deal to me personally as ad hoc group MMS is primarily how my large group of friends and classmates communicate. It also makes me worry that MS will be able to provide OTA updates, as they're already caving to carrier pressure.
5. No orientation lock. Come on.
6. No notification light.

I honestly am stoked with this phone despite the above and other minor stuff, but the "early adopter" schtick is not really acceptable. I appreciate the task of having to start from scratch with NT, but the fact of the matter is MS is severely late to the dance and can ill afford an OS that isn't competitive on ALL fronts

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
2. Essentially zero integration with Win8. I have 2 Win8/RT devices - my laptop and Surface, with the Surface bought and set up before my laptop was upgraded. When I installed Win8 on my laptop, all the settings for mail and calendar (Exchange, google, facebook) immediately were synced. No such luck with WP8. What's the deal? On this note, it's almost MORE confusing that WP8 and Win8 share a design language, because none of the functions are shared. Contextual search in WP8? Nope. Swipe down to close in WP8? Nope. Swipe right to switch apps in WP8? Nope. I find myself constantly trying to do this with my phone, which I suppose is a real credit to the intuitiveness of the Win8 interface, but at least the first two of these should have been implemented.

This is a very very good point.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
1. No EAP-TTLS support

Not everyone needs this; I certainly don't. I'll give you this one, though, because it does look like either an oversight or a ran-out-of-time.

2. Essentially zero integration with Win8.

I also have two Windows 8 devices: my Toshiba laptop and my 21.5" iMac (yay Boot Camp!) Once I logged in to my WP8 device all my settings were there except for my Exchange account. I wouldn't want that to auto-configure anyway. For me, it integrated as much as I need it to.

3. No wireless sync.

Sounds like another oversight or ran-out-of-time.

4. No group MMS with verizon.

Totally not a MS/WP8 issue, as you said. That said, I absolutely *hate* group MMS, never use it, and ask others not to group MMS me.

5. No orientation lock. Come on.

Don't care.

6. No notification light.

Again, don't care.

This is why I say so many of these "OMG WP8 IS TEH HORRIBLE" issues are situational and preferential over-reactions. Of your 6 items, *I* think only two of them are actual, bona-fide MS WP8 issues.

Now you can say all you want that I'm a ****** and I'm apologizing for MS, but that's a load of crap. It amazes me that so many people want their issues validated as super important, but they're utterly unwilling to accept that those issues aren't issues to everyone. They couldn't possibly be a preference, or situational, oh no... they're top-line issues that are going to send people screaming for the hills and destroy the platform. *rollseyes*

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Now you can say all you want that I'm a ****** and I'm apologizing for MS, but that's a load of crap. It amazes me that so many people want their issues validated as super important, but they're utterly unwilling to accept that those issues aren't issues to everyone. They couldn't possibly be a preference, or situational, oh no... they're top-line issues that are going to send people screaming for the hills and destroy the platform. *rollseyes*
Who said any of these are top-line issues? Though TTLS to me is pretty high-priority given the lack of apps that would address this situation were this iOS or Android. Ironically, you're accusing folks like me for complaining about things that are "situational," but pretty much all YOUR counterpoints are oh they don't apply to me, I don't care. Well guess what, a smartphone OS is supposed to cater to a wide base of consumers and situations. You don't care about orientation lock? Good for you. A ton of people do. It's a ridiculously simple feature that is already wired into WP8 that is only accessible to apps. The list goes on. Some other person may be bugged by something that I don't notice at all, too. The point is that these things add up and for lots of people they tip the scale the other way. This means just one less person in this still fledgling ecosystem, which only HURTS the people, like you, that are probably going to stick it through regardless. And ultimately, if enough people decide this OS is not for them, that DOES destroy the platform, one I personally am heavily invested in. So take your snark and shove it, at least until you can demonstrate you can see past your rabid infatuation to rationally discuss the matter at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium