Feature request: A bedtime mode!

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I requested a feature on the WP suggestions boards. I would like to have a proper night mode like the one some of you may know from the BlackBerry OS. I really liked that option.

Turn on night mode

• Turn on Night mode at... (specify time range, e.g. from 11 pm till 8 am on weekdays or from 1 am till 10 am on weekends)

• option to only turn into night mode when charging (so you can be sure that your night mode is only on when you are sleeping and your phone is charging. If you're out at night, it shouldnt turn into night mode)

• option to turn off certain connections in night mode (4g or Wifi or whatever)

• option to turn off certain sounds (ringtones for calls or messages or emails or all of them... so that you can sleep without being disturbed)

• option to whitelist certain contacts, so that they can call you even at night

• option to automatically dim the light of the screen when in night mode so you dont get dazzled when you put your phone next to your bed on a charging stand (like the nokia one)

• show a clock and maybe your alarm setting on the night mode screen (maybe choose the type of the clock, e.g. digital or classic clock)

Please vote for it here:
A proper bedtime mode

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Done, thanks for starting it. Probably the only app I miss in WP
Sent from my Lumia 820 using Board Express

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If I had a phone with this feature, I'd leave it firmly turned off. Not having direct access to my phone's features when I wanted them would annoy me no end. My life isn't scheduled to that extent.

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
If I had a phone with this feature, I'd leave it firmly turned off. Not having direct access to my phone's features when I wanted them would annoy me no end. My life isn't scheduled to that extent.

Should call it Lazy mode.

I like the idea of a bed time clock mode, but are apps for that already.

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
In order to get my phone on true silent every single night, I have to tap Settings, Ringtones, and then both Toggles. Then in the morning I have to do the reverse. This is one of the dumbest things about WP. Would like this feature very much.

AndrewakaMJ

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Just switched back to WP after using an iPhone for awhile. The addition of the "do not disturb" feature on the last ios update was great. Would love to see this on WP.

avsef

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Nightstand Clock is a terrific app that lets you dim its display. But those dang buttons on the bottom stayed brightly lit all night, a real annoyance. My mickey-mouse solution is to keep a thick rubber band on my nightstand, which I slip around the base of the phone at night to cover those buttons. One of the few times I miss my BlackBerry.

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Nightstand Clock is a terrific app that lets you dim its display. But those dang buttons on the bottom stayed brightly lit all night, a real annoyance. My mickey-mouse solution is to keep a thick rubber band on my nightstand, which I slip around the base of the phone at night to cover those buttons. One of the few times I miss my BlackBerry.

I actually just downloaded that app and was looking forward to trying it tonight. I don't have a clock on my side of the bed. I now see the capacitative buttons stay lit up... not using it now, lol. Also don't like that it can't just turn on if the phone is being charged. Have to turn on the app.

I miss WebOS.

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Just use flight mode. Does what you need in one simple hit.
Actually it doesn't. The white list is very important feature to me when I travel. This is where only the callers on that list will ring through. Android has an app for it, called Bedside I believe and iOS has it built in.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
This is where NFC could turn useful. We could just tap an NFC tag by our nightstand and switch to bedtime mode. Wake up tap it again and switch out of it. Not only that but you could have profiles for your car, work, and other places with NFC, but atm microsoft isn't letting NFC tags switch profiles.

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site

You would only have to tap the screen to leave the night mode and get full access to your phone again. I can't believe that there is not some kind of 'scheduled' time at which you prefer to sleep. When it's late and you connect your phone to the charger overnight, it means you are gonna sleep soon. If it's not connected to the charger, nothing would change. But as mentioned before, an NFC solution would make so much sense! I can't believe that even BlackBerries are ahead of us in terms of this.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Actually it doesn't. The white list is very important feature to me when I travel. This is where only the callers on that list will ring through. Android has an app for it, called Bedside I believe and iOS has it built in.
I agree. The ability to allow some important calls to ring through while shutting other sounds and calls off is a great idea, and one worth having. I can see this when a family member is sick, traveling, etc. Or, when someone works in a field where they are on call (physicians for example) they could allow one or two numbers to ring through but prevent getting a wrong number call at 2 AM or some damn telemarketer calling, etc.

This is where NFC could turn useful. We could just tap an NFC tag by our nightstand and switch to bedtime mode. Wake up tap it again and switch out of it. Not only that but you could have profiles for your car, work, and other places with NFC, but atm microsoft isn't letting NFC tags switch profiles.

Great idea as well. That way, it wouldn't even need to have a programmed schedule. If it is by the NFC tag, the bedtime mode is activated. If it is removed, it is deactivated. Perfect solution. Great idea!

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Great idea as well. That way, it wouldn't even need to have a programmed schedule. If it is by the NFC tag, the bedtime mode is activated. If it is removed, it is deactivated. Perfect solution. Great idea!

The only issue here is the fact that Microsoft won't let us do this at the moment :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans