Where does WP 8 put files transfered via bluetooth?

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
And people say there's no need of File Manager....Huh.....

In the threads about this issue that I've read, I don't recall anyone saying there's no need for a file manager. Rather the argument is that the security restrictions that WP8 is built on would preclude the inclusion of a 'file manager' in its traditional sense. What's needed is a solution to the various file management problems pertinent to various activities and scenarios, rather than a general file manager per se.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
In the threads about this issue that I've read, I don't recall anyone saying there's no need for a file manager. Rather the argument is that the security restrictions that WP8 is built on would preclude the inclusion of a 'file manager' in its traditional sense. What's needed is a solution to the various file management problems pertinent to various activities and scenarios, rather than a general file manager per se.

Instead of looking something else, why can't we have freaking file manager..... MS can do it for winRT then why not for wp...???

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Because freaking WinRT is not freaking WP8.

facepalm....MS and many people claim about how secure is winRT then how it has world's great file explorer and it's gonna get metrofied version but not WP ??? I have created a thread about it, do you think WP should be winRT feature wise ??

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
facepalm....MS and many people claim about how secure is winRT then how it has world's great file explorer and it's gonna get metrofied version but not WP ??? I have created a thread about it, do you think WP should be winRT feature wise ??

sigh...WinRT is a different operating system with a different underlying security architecture. It's not designed as a light-on-resources phone OS. One of the things everyone praises WP8 for is how lag-free and fluid it is, even on low-end hardware. While WinRT doesn't require the resources of Win 8, it certainly is a "heavier" OS than WP8. So running WinRT on, say, Lumia 620 grade hardware may produce an experience akin to the much maligned Android OS running on low end hardware - laaaaaagggggyyyyy.

Now you may want a full WinRT phone, and given some hot hardware it could work - and it certainly may have a place in the greater scheme of things - but WP8 certainly isn't going to BECOME WinRT and vice versa, though some underlying components may be shared between them. Basically WP8 is...a phone. WinRT is a general purpose computing platform. So the features and underlying security structures of the two are DIFFERENT.

So yes, Microsoft could CHOOSE to implement a general purpose file manager for WP8, but it's not as simple as just porting one from WinRT. Microsoft may well consider it worthwhile to perform some surgery on WP to include a general file manager at some point. Who knows? I think they'll find other ways of getting around the issues that people are currently complaining about.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
If you are running on the .1308 firmware (for Nokia devices) you can use the Storage check feature or the Lumia Storage Check app from Beta labs to clear the Temporary files folder. This is where incompatible files transferred via Bluetooth are located.

Easttroywards

May 17, 2013
Visit site
The lack of a file manager is not just an oversight, it's a mistake. Security? Really? That's the reason? You're telling me that they don't or couldn't partition a part of the memory and make it available? Simply, I don't believe it.

Simple case in point. I have a lot of files stored in Box and Dropbox for work. Many of them are PDF's. I can download this file from either and view it on my phone, but I can't email it as an attachment? For a phone that is supposed to be part of an eco-system with your business/home computers, this is a huge problem. If my only option is to put everything on a Skydrive (MS) account, I'll go back to Android and be frustrated by lag, but able to function in a modern manner.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
sigh...WinRT is a different operating system with a different underlying security architecture. It's not designed as a light-on-resources phone OS. One of the things everyone praises WP8 for is how lag-free and fluid it is, even on low-end hardware. While WinRT doesn't require the resources of Win 8, it certainly is a "heavier" OS than WP8. So running WinRT on, say, Lumia 620 grade hardware may produce an experience akin to the much maligned Android OS running on low end hardware - laaaaaagggggyyyyy.

Now you may want a full WinRT phone, and given some hot hardware it could work - and it certainly may have a place in the greater scheme of things - but WP8 certainly isn't going to BECOME WinRT and vice versa, though some underlying components may be shared between them. Basically WP8 is...a phone. WinRT is a general purpose computing platform. So the features and underlying security structures of the two are DIFFERENT.

So yes, Microsoft could CHOOSE to implement a general purpose file manager for WP8, but it's not as simple as just porting one from WinRT. Microsoft may well consider it worthwhile to perform some surgery on WP to include a general file manager at some point. Who knows? I think they'll find other ways of getting around the issues that people are currently complaining about.

It was a general comparison, I said feature wis wp should have some of windows RT features and you say it's difficult for the biggest software giant to solve such issue on its phone OS, lol you kidding, right ??? I don't eant a phone with full win 8 or winrt, I want some features which many people want.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The lack of a file manager is not just an oversight, it's a mistake. Security? Really? That's the reason? You're telling me that they don't or couldn't partition a part of the memory and make it available? Simply, I don't believe it.

Simple case in point. I have a lot of files stored in Box and Dropbox for work. Many of them are PDF's. I can download this file from either and view it on my phone, but I can't email it as an attachment? For a phone that is supposed to be part of an eco-system with your business/home computers, this is a huge problem. If my only option is to put everything on a Skydrive (MS) account, I'll go back to Android and be frustrated by lag, but able to function in a modern manner.

Be careful you'll get the file manager police out and they won't tell you why it's a problem just that you can't do it on WP cause of security issues! The whole reason why WP OS is so secure is because it doesn't have a file manger and the only way to prevent issues to prevent having a file manger. It's an OS thing apparently, that if you give anyone any access to any folders at all the whole OS becomes vulnerable to security breaches which means we'll get malware which will send hundreds of texts out to people at a cost to you... or something like that.

So bad you! You shouldn't be so logical and think differently because people don't think there's a need for a file manager so you can't have one! Also don't mention Symbian or Android to them cause they'll just say that they were bad too!

Just remember, mobile computing is the future. The fact we can use our phones like we do a computer is not the phone's fault!

For those who are not familiar or cannot detect sarcasm please note that's what this is.

nfsleo07

May 22, 2013
Visit site
hi guys,
you can view those files that an app on your phone can read. Like if you transfer a picture via bluetooth , it goes into the saved pictures folder. similarly .pdf for Microsoft pdf reader and so on. Since there are no apps that can read zip or rar files , you can't view them. But office files,pdfs,mp3s,video work just fine . You just have to look into the right place!

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
If its a pdf for instance, go into office, documents on phone, long press on the file name and select share. Sharing via Outlook is an option. I agree it could be a bit more intuitive, but it does work.

Easttroywards

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Office doesn't open PDF's, PDF Reader does, and you can't send a file thru it. Either way, the fact that you can't email a file is silly. Believe it or not, for business purposes, emailing a editable document isn't the norm. Sharing a link is fine for some applications, but still a very poor answer. So much for being tied to a business eco-system....

Easttroywards

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Actually, yes I did. I opened Box, viewed a PDF, and downloaded it. I opened Office, it didn't show up anywhere. I opened PDF Reader and was able to view it, but there isn't a share option.

Just because I don't like to jump to conclusions, I then downloaded two more PDF apps to make sure it just wasn't a limitation of the one I was using.

Out of curiosity, have you actually emailed a PDF? All I've been able to find is a way to send a link, that works in Box, Dropbox or Skydrive just fine, I just don't find it an acceptable solution.

Easttroywards

May 17, 2013
Visit site
@badcat-

Mind telling me how you're opening a PDF in Office? After my last reply, I went to do some more reading just to make sure I'm not missing something. PDF's aren't a part of the Office hub. Are you on WP8? I think that was an option in older versions.

Something tells me you're answering a question with the wrong answer, this was a WP8 question. There are threads all over this forum saying the same thing, you seem to be the only person here that can do this, please do tell!

amgz

May 26, 2013
Visit site
You have to save the file on SkyDrive and then go to office, browse for it and long press to see the email option.

(you have to have a PDF viewer installed or you will not see the file when browsing in office)

Easttroywards

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Wow, it's all I can say. I've read a number of threads, both here and elsewhere and not one person has come up with this! It's akward having to download it, open it another program, save to skydrive (sort of, you actually have to send an email sharing it, but in the process it downloads) and then you can share it from there.

I stand corrected (sort of lol). Once amgz said it had to be there first, it sort of came together. For the record, files not on skydrive, but on your phone are not able to be forwarded, only links to where ever it is online (box, dropbox, etc.). Once it's in Skydrive, it can be forwarded.

Not the ideal, but a way to do it and I can live with that until it gets smoothed over. I can say that I feel bad for IT/IS people that would have to work with the average user to get this done!

Thanks badcat/amgz, now to go back to the other threads and explain this one!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte