Tethering

dhunters

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Hello,
I'm new here. I tried to search the forums for an answer to my question, but found nothing definitive. I recently purchased a Nokia Lumia 822. I work on the road and when I can't borrow the internets from local residences I need to be capable of using my phone to tether to my computer. So, can the Nokia Lumia 822 tether right now? If yes, how? If no, when is this feature expected to be implemented. This is crucial to my work and if it can't be done soon, I may have to return the phone and get an Android device. My last phone was Android and it had a lot of issues. I went with a Windows phone because the new OS was supposed to be very light weight and stable, but I need to be able to tether soon. Thank you in advance for your responses.
Sincerely,
Me

ramrandhawa

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
All of the new Windows Phones are capable of tethering. However, this feature has to be supported by your provider and you may therefore have to pay for a tethering-capable data plan.

To turn on tethering, go to "Settings" and look for "internet sharing" -- it should be near the top of the list. If it isn't there, then you may have to go back to your provider and ask them if they will support tethering. There may be ways to "trick" the phone into letting you tether, even if your provider doesn't support that feature, but that's a little more technically advanced.

dhunters

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. OK I see the Internet Sharing. My provider is Verizon. Apparently it is not included in my plan ( I'm not on a share everything plan) and I would have to pay for a subscription to Mobile Hotspot or Mobile Broadband Connect. Do you know if either these are preferable to the other? Also, I am somewhat tech savvy, do you know who I could talk to about tricking my phone to allow tethering without paying for this subscription?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
As you are on Verizon (the giveaway was in the first post - you've got an 822) unless you have an unlimited plan, I believe all of their other plans have tethering included. I MAY be wrong on this, but I think it is only the unlimited plan that they are ALLOWED to charge $20 for tethering. Yes, I said allowed - by a judge. It goes to a lawsuit having something to do with a certain band of frequencies that they bought, and part of the deal was keeping the bands "open" or something like that (no, I'm not a lawyer). Anyway, someone sued them over tethering, and they lost, so they have to allow tethering without charge, the exception being unlimited data plans. I'm pretty sure that's the only exception, but again, I may be wrong.

And yes, Settings, and since I have an 822, I can tell you that you won't have to scroll down at all in the settings to get to Internet Sharing. Turn it on. Then when it is on, you can hit the bottom button to change the config if you want to change the name of the hotspot to something that isn't a mile long, and the password to something you can remember.

And no, as far as I am aware, there is NO way (yet) to trick this phone into tethering. The phone would have to be unlocked and its bootloader cracked, which hasn't happened yet.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. OK I see the Internet Sharing. My provider is Verizon. Apparently it is not included in my plan ( I'm not on a share everything plan) and I would have to pay for a subscription to Mobile Hotspot or Mobile Broadband Connect. Do you know if either these are preferable to the other? Also, I am somewhat tech savvy, do you know who I could talk to about tricking my phone to allow tethering without paying for this subscription?
That really depends on how much data you usually go through. I paid Verizon the $20 a month for the mobile hotspot for a while and my allowance was 2GB. I kept my unlimited data plan and bought my 822 outright because going with a share everything plan would've eliminated some of my discounts. But in your case it might be worth to switch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo