Tethering Issue - Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8

AaronMoorcroft

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
***FIXED*** - Tethering Issue - Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8

FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED

Hi Guys so after reading the first post I was starting to question if I had wrote it myself, I am a computer engineer, exactly the same issue, been though every option I could think of to fix it, in all honesty I probably went over the top right from the off. The joys of being an IT geek huh.

Right good news for you all, I fixed it...........

I hear you asking how ????

hehe well its simple, after a lot of digging and reading up it turns out that Windows 8 wifi drivers are normally installed on the Windows 8 OS and basically that's the issue, all you need to do is download the correct driver for your wifi device and install, you may be able to roll back your driver if not just upgrade to a non Microsoft version.

and well that's it, that's how I fixed my its not working without issue, enjoy guys...

regards

Aaron

pdxrunr

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: ***FIXED*** - Tethering Issue - Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8

This is NOT a carrier issue. I have tried an 8X on tmobile and verizon with my Dell Latitude E4310 and can't tether using either phone. If it's a driver issue, which I'm not convinced it is, I can't install any other driver other than the one microsoft installed with Windows 8 because it's dated 3/2012 and Dell hasn't released a specific driver for this machine for Win 8 and they probably won't since it's a 3 year old machine. Guess my only option is a new PC.

L

realityeye

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I had trouble connecting my MacBook air (running windows 8) to my 920 wifi until I did the following:

1. Turn on Internet sharing on the phone
2. On pc connect to the wifi network (it will say limited connection)
3. Right click on the connection to view connection properties and select the security tab. Click on advanced and then tick the checkbox for "Enable Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) compliance for this network.

I read this somewhere and it worked for me after days of trying.

Ant177

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

Fortunately it isn't a driver issue at all so you won't be needing that new PC. Why people think that reinstalling drivers will help connect to certain networks I don't know.
It would appear that the suggestion to enable FIPS helps, my laptop has now connected successfully to my HTC 8X, I'll keep an eye on whether the connection is stable or the issue crops up again. Interesting why this is required though.

AaronMoorcroft

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

Not all windows WiFi driver have that option im affraid, if you have that option then it would seem that selecting it is fine however I certainly did not have that option untill I updated my driver.

realityeye

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Not all windows WiFi driver have that option im affraid, if you have that option then it would seem that selecting it is fine however I certainly did not have that option untill I updated my driver.

The security option only appears after you have established a WiFi connection to your phone.

Ant177

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
It is also worth mentioning that it is a connection property, not a driver one. I already knew of the option but Realityeye's post explains where it is very well.

pdxrunr

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
You should be able to use a driver for windows 7 without issue.

Negative. The Windows 7 driver from Dell errors out while trying to install in Windows 8.

BUT....I'm so happy to report checking the FIPS box worked! I just didn't think to try it because it didn't seem like it would affect the network functionality. When you check it though, it won't immediately start routing traffic. You have to disconnect from the phone and connect again. But when you do, Internet access! Thanks to everyone in this thread for talking through this. As my business partner and I always say "It's always a *****!ng check box!"

Louis

wrexus

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
FIX for Surface RT:

I have the HTC 8x and Verizon. I often have problem connecting and was unable to use the FIPS option above. Instead I found that if I set static DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (google's DNS servers), then I have no problems using the internet sharing. Otherwise, I have a connection but nothing resolves.

So, I think the problem is in the gateway not using the DNS server properly. If you have previously been successful with FIPS would you mind unchecking it and trying this instead?

To set your DNS, you will need to open the connection properties and open "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" and at the bottom check "Use the following DNS server addresses". You can use any address but I used Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Abadeh65

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a Dell Latitude E6330 and using Widnows 7 and tethering with Windows 8 (Nokia Lumia 920) when I get a blue screen everytime I connect to the phone via WiFi. I have also changed all the settings with no success, but the last change I made seems to have fixed the problem. Go to your wireless network property (open your Network Sharing Centre then Manage Your Wireless Networks). Right click on the specific network connection that is giving you the trouble and click on Properties and go to Security tab and then click on Advanced Settings. Then tick Enable Federal Information.... and click ok and save the setting. Reboot and it should work - it did for me and right now I am connected through it.
Cheers.

kevynpm

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
That's really strange. I have an 8X on T-Mobile US, and a Surface RT, it all works great. I can tether my Surface RT to my 8X, as well as tether my old Dell Inspiron 700m to my phone. I actually had my entire apartment running of my 8X WiFi Internet Sharing the other night while the cable modem was out.

I'm gonna suggest you guys manually set your DNS servers, as one of the previous posters suggested. You can use Google's DNS server if you like but I would recommend OpenDNS. Just Bing it. Mind you, I didn't have to do this on the good ole' pink T network, but on Verizon or others... who knows.

Tuomo Ruponen

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site

FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED - FIXED

Hi Guys so after reading the first post I was starting to question if I had wrote it myself, I am a computer engineer, exactly the same issue, been though every option I could think of to fix it, in all honesty I probably went over the top right from the off. The joys of being an IT geek huh.

hehe well its simple, after a lot of digging and reading up it turns out that Windows 8 wifi drivers are normally installed on the Windows 8 OS and basically that's the issue, all you need to do is download the correct driver for your wifi device and install, you may be able to roll back your driver if not just upgrade to a non Microsoft version.

and well that's it, that's how I fixed my its not working without issue, enjoy guys...

regards

Aaron

This worked also for me! Thanks Aaron!

My PC is HP TouchSmart tm2 and it was upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit to Win 8 Pro 64-bit. Wifi driver was updated to Microsoft Win 8 version and tethering with my Lumia 920 was lost. Rolling back wifi driver to HP Win 7 64-bit version fixed my problem.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
On 2 PCs I had to follow the instructions to enable FIPS in the wireless properties. One was BSOD and the other just didn't transfer, but that checkbox made both work.

Thanks to whoever worked that workaround out!

andrew-in-woking

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site

regards

Aaron

Hi all

I had this problem and fixed it previously by updating the WiFi module drivers.

God bless

Andrew

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I had a very similar issue. I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to get traffic to route through but my issue was it would connect to my Lumia 920 ok but I would have no internet access. I installed Windows 8 Pro on my Dell Vostro 3500. Windows 8 automatically installed all the drivers and the wifi connection worked fine on my home wifi. When I shared my internet connection on my Lumia though it would have this issue.

I had shared my Lumia internet connection on my Surface so knew there was an issue with the laptop. I downloaded the Windows 7 wireless driver from the Dell site (I subsequently found out that Dell did not support windows 8 on my Vostro 3500 so had to use the Windows 7 driver) and bam it works! nice to have a relatively easy win :) for anyone else who tries this you'll need to right click the wifi setup file and select compatibility mode and set it to windows 7.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers