Can't send MMS messages while on wifi

VDubb22

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
A lot of people use WiFi rather than mobile network, since they have limited data plans (I have a legacy unlimited data plan). However, if folks have LTE, it is much faster than WiFi. My LTE is faster than my cable Internet service.

I think you misunderstood my post . To my understanding, MMS and SMS can and will only be transmitted over a cellular connection, whether you're connected to WiFi or not. So the problem most likely lied in having a weak cellular connection, or some other issues with the cellular network, and was incorrectly associated to WiFi. Essentially, I'm saying that you can have the world's best WiFi connection, but if your cellular connection is weak/non-existent, or there are other issues with your phone registering or connecting properly to the cellular network, then you won't be able to send or receive MMS (along with SMS and voice calls).
The only exception to this would be if the device supported WiFi calling which allows cellular services to be properly directed through WiFi.

Stefanix

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Oh my God, enother issue with my Lumia 920! :eck:
Even turning off WiFi did not help. "can't send message". I turned airplane mode on and off again, then it worked.
Besides this, the delivery notifications are kept separately, while they appear as a small notice on the sent message itself onmy N9.
WP8 is not ready, if it ever will be. I can not recommend it to anyone. The great Lumia 920 HW compensates a bit for this.

RMathis77

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Here is the Fix!

I had this problem with both my old WP7 and now my Lumia 810
if you get the "Cannot send Message Try again" go ahead and actually delete that pic message and start over this time after sending the pic message DO NOT go out of your Messaging screen leave the phone alone for at least 20-30 seconds LITERALLY DON'T TOUCH THE PHONE FOR 20-30 SECONDS!

It seems that the messaging app needs time to send this message without anything getting in its way... do not go back or attempt to do anything or it will give you the "cannot send message try again"

I have tested this on about 20 picture messages to my wife and each time I left the phone alone the MMS text went through with issues. If I sent a text to her right after sending a picture the text message would go through right away but the picture message would give me the cannot send message. Just give the phone some time to finish sending the picture before doing anything.

Each time I left my phone alone for about 20-30 seconds the picture message would send without issue to my wife's phone.

Go ahead and try this out with your phone if you have been getting the cannot send message and you should see it working great after you just set the phone down for 20 seconds once you push the send button.

Hope this helps!

sumir

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
FOLKS...i have worked mostly with android and limited use on the old windows mobile 6.5 WIFI has NOTHING to do with mms (no matter what the phone or the operating system or the carrier). MMS is ONLY on cellular data. You need to manually turn data on off for sending / receiving mms. You may get a notification to download an mms should you receive one but you will need to turn mobile data (NOT WIFI) on to actually download it (and they all have an expiry period usually 3 days). Sending is similar. The mms will sit and churn until you turn the data on. If you do not do it quickly the mms may take forever to transmit so it is just better to turn data on and then resend the mms. WIFI HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MMS. PERIOD. HOpe this helps! (this has nothing to do with Nokia, HTC, Iphone etc. Some operating systems have this auto data on off..where the data seamlessly turns on and off for mms sending/receiving which may be the case in iphone and certain android (cooked/rooted/modified builds). IT may SEEM that your data is not on when the mms transmits or is received but in reality it is doing it. SOmetimes you may see the data icon (or however it is set up on your phone) flash briefly when the send/transmit occurs. But in most phones (and maybe this is to help the user control data usage) the data has to be manually turned on for sending/receiving mms. NOT WIFI.

EDIT..you will need to make sure the correct APNs etc are in place but regardless, the first thing is mobile data ON.

spokanedj

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
We had four Lumia 920s sitting in the Living Room with 4-5 Bars of AT&T in my house (tower is less than half mile away, great signal/service). Two were sending MMS fine, two were not. One worked after switching Wi-Fi off. Rebooted both and they are now fine.

As a side note, the two that were having issues are my two kids that had turned Battery Saving to always on. In another thread I noticed someone saying that Battery Saving is affecting their Wi-Fi switching and forcing cellular. This might be an edge case bug with some combination of data selection. MMS DOES require a cellular data connection and service, unlike SMS which doesn't. This would also support why turning off Wi-Fi works for some scenarios.

Annette Laperche

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I just tried the send photo to myself and it did not work either.
I have the LG Squantum C900.
I have tried many suggestions on several boards, and also tried with my provider, consumer cellular.
Now luck.
I like the phone but sending mms is important.
Why have a camera if I can't sent photos.
A. L.

James Maliki

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
So I think I figured out a solution.

I bought a Nokia Lumia 925 on release date for both my brother and myself. Before testing out the texting features I had been playing with all the setting because the Windows Phone 8 OS was just so brand new and cool to me. After a while, I did try to send my brother a picture message but it could not send it at all. I was looking everywhere and then I noticed on my Phone Live Tile it said WiFi Calling. Turned off my WiFi Calling and was able to send the message. I then asked my brother if he was able to send picture messages with WiFi Calling on, he could. I couldn't figure out what the problem was.

But just a few minutes ago I was trying it again and it did not work with my WiFi Calling (WiFi Preferred) on. So I went back into my settings to see if I could play with something that might help it. That's when I found at lease what worked out for me.

Under the Mobile Network setting, at the bottom of the screen is a tab for "For limited WiFi Connectivity." I had previously had it set to "don't use mobile data," this morning though, I changed it to "use mobile data" and tested it by sending a picture to my brother. And it worked. For whatever reason, I suppose you are supposed to tell the phone to go through mobile data when the WIFi is not good enough.

eddie phelps

May 2, 2015
Visit site
I've had same issue ( I'm in U.K.) for 4 ( yes 4! ) years. I had a Lumia now have a Samsung Ativ S and found through no help from my provider ( Virgin Mobile) I cannot send MMS whist my WiFi is turned on. There doesn't seem to be a way around it apart from when you receive a MMS before you open it,turn off your WiFi. It seems to work ok then. I hope this is helpful,I know of no other way to rectify it. Good luck. P.S. This is my first post so hope it's a bit helpful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05