Came from iOS, what is the best replacement for "Reminders"? (that my wife can also see on iOS)

dloweinc

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Came from iOS, what is the best replacement for "Reminders"? (that my wife can also see on iOS)

I came from iOS and my wife and I shared an appleID to share reminders/photos etc and that was a killer feature (having realtime synching of shopping lists/to-do lists/bill paying etc and when it was due).

What is the best equivalent for WP8?

My wife is still on iOS so there needs to be something for her to access and create/edit all this stuff too...

I thought rooms would do it but apparently there are no notes available to her?

Any help would be appreciated!

Dave

dloweinc

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Came from iOS, what is the best replacement for "Reminders"? (that my wife can also see on iOS)

Will my wife be able to edit those items from her iphone? That is the functionality that I am really looking for.

Thanks for your reply!

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Re: Came from iOS, what is the best replacement for "Reminders"? (that my wife can also see on iOS)

My wife and I use Remember the Milk service for a shared task list/reminders. There is a 1st party iOS app and a 3rd party WP7/8 app called Milkman. It requires a pro account that has a nominal yearly fee...

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site

If you can't add the Apple ID Calendar to your Windows Phone, can you do it the other way (add Microsoft account with calendar to iOS)?

You can always use a cross-platform notetaking service I guess, such as Evernote or OneNote.

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

Both of you should be able to use OneNote. It will also sync across devices. So, either one of you can access it from a PC or Mac, or Windows 8 tablet, or iPad, etc. You can do To-do Lists, Grocery Lists, etc. For instance, I have a Wedding Notebook I share with my fiancee' for coordinating all of that, I've got game and app notebooks shared with my brother, and so on.

Once you go OneNote you don't go back.

jedwardmiller

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
RE: Came from iOS, what is the best replacement for "Reminders"? (that my wife can also see on iOS)

I agree with using OneNote, but if you really want the rooms function it is now available on iOS and Android. Microsoft has posted info on how to get rooms on those platforms.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

dloweinc

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Tried out onenote and she can see my items, but I don't think there is a way to set timed reminders (IE date/time) for things is there?

Checking out Remember the Milk now... Setup a new list with items on her phone but they won't show up on mine. Still going through everything.

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

Depends on how much control you want over everything- although no timers are available, Id' definitely try out Onenote. If you want to use rooms, you can: the notes there will be in a Onenote notebook for your wife's iPhone with the notebook title being the room you created.

I'll admit, I'm not very knowledgeable about solutions other than Onenote, but I did want to clarify how your wife can get to the Onenote Notebooks in your room if you decide to use it.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

Forget onenote if you want reminders....it does work well for a shared grocery list though.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

I'll admit, I'm not very knowledgeable about solutions other than Onenote, but I did want to clarify how your wife can get to the Onenote Notebooks in your room if you decide to use it.
OneNote app or Skydrive App

lunged

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

I think AngryNil is on the right track.
If I remember correctly, you can add your Microsoft account to your wife's iOS device. Then you can select what to sync (or not to sync) - email, calendar, contacts... and I'm pretty sure reminders, too. It should work exactly the same as before. Anything you add to your to-do list in the Calendar app should show up in her Reminders app and vise versa.
This is what I do between my iPad and WP8... of course I don't have my iPad with me to test it out and go through the proper steps. I think you may have to set the default account for reminders to use, for example, so that reminders go to Microsoft instead of iCloud when she puts them in.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:

dloweinc

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Lunged, thank you. I know AngryNil said this too, but it didn't click. I did add my microsoft account to her phone and changed the reminders to that account instead of icloud and it does seem to be working fine.

I have it set to Push data, it just doesn't seem to synch as fast as it did when both devices were iOS, but I'm sure we can live with a little lag as we get used to it.

Thank you everyone! :)

dloweinc

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

I figured I would update this thread with some findings in case other people have similar questions. I did not realize just how much I used the reminders in conjunction with my wife (while I was on iOS).

Added my microsoft account to my wife's iphone, she can see my hotmail "to do" list, add/edit/delete items BUT, there is only a single to do list. So of all the lists we kept going (groceries, dinners, xmas gifts, etc) that method only allows one list and I could not find a way to create more through the hotmail calendar.

I tried adding my own iCloud account to my phone, but it won't work properly, will never setup. I saw a few other posts that said they were having problems getting it to work with WP8 but they had it working with WP7. Not sure what the issue is there...

Anyone able to add their iCloud account to their WP8 phone?

Using Remember the Milk / Milkman seems like it would work just fine; however, I am trying to avoid another yearly fee.

Using One Note is great for lists, but doesn't have the ability to remind me at a certain time, on a certain day, which I would like to use for bills and other things.

At this point in time I may just have to pay the "pro" fee to use Remember the Milk as that has all the features I am looking for.

One last thing... there is a conflict if you try to add an account that already exists on your phone... for example my icloud account email is blah@aol.com but I actually use blah@aol.com as my main email, so I have it added as an email account. When I try to add it as an "other" account, using advanced settings to enter the inbound/outbound smtp server settings I get an error that an account with that email is already on the phone... Well I know that, but they are for different services!

Just like my microsoft account is ALSO with blah@aol.com, but it lets me use that fine... double standard.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon