Facebook chat updates

KeegdnaB42

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed in the last few days that Facebook has made some sort of backend changes and now recognizes WP's built in chat the same way it does the messenger apps on ios and android. From the website, my friends with windows phones (both 7 and 8) now show the little mobile icon instead of simply always being online. When I got my 8X the other day it also now says "[friend] is on mobile" in the message thread. I don't know if that's an 8 specific thing or if they just happened to flip the switch on it the same day as I upgraded so it may work on 7 as well.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Can't say if that's just an 8 thing or general WP thing now, but i noticed that too last week. Also if i've been chatting on my laptop, then switch to my phone, the IMs received side updates with everything in that conversation. If i'm on the facebook tab and actively using it, it doesn't send IMs to my phone. But if the focus is on another tab or window, it'll send the IM to my phone.

Cool stuff that should've been done a long time ago.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm not able to use facebook chat/messaging on my phone, how do I get this to work?

Messaging -> Settings -> "Use Facebook Chat" to ON.
Messaging -> Swipe to the right -> Tap and set to Available.

*The above assumes you have Facebook logged in under your account settings

Michael Smith4

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed in the last few days that Facebook has made some sort of backend changes and now recognizes WP's built in chat the same way it does the messenger apps on ios and android. From the website, my friends with windows phones (both 7 and 8) now show the little mobile icon instead of simply always being online. When I got my 8X the other day it also now says "[friend] is on mobile" in the message thread. I don't know if that's an 8 specific thing or if they just happened to flip the switch on it the same day as I upgraded so it may work on 7 as well.

This is not the case for me. I have the Nokia 920, and as of today, if I set my chat status to available, it constantly has a green dot next to my name in Facebook. I have even created a separate facebook account to try and figure out if other settings change it to the mobile icon, but nothing has worked. I wish this would be fixed though, as I never activate my status because if I accidentally forget to turn it off, I get chats in the middle of the night because people think I am at my computer.

mapleleafs89

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
This is not the case for me. I have the Nokia 920, and as of today, if I set my chat status to available, it constantly has a green dot next to my name in Facebook. I have even created a separate facebook account to try and figure out if other settings change it to the mobile icon, but nothing has worked. I wish this would be fixed though, as I never activate my status because if I accidentally forget to turn it off, I get chats in the middle of the night because people think I am at my computer.

Same here.

TheXFather

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Messaging -> Settings -> "Use Facebook Chat" to ON.
Messaging -> Swipe to the right -> Tap and set to Available.

*The above assumes you have Facebook logged in under your account settings
i can't swipe to the left or to the right to set available under settings >applications> messaging i can only set the use facebook chat on
i can't set myself ask available.

CR1979

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Exactly same issue for me - Lumia 800.
Also created another fb account to test what my chat status shows when I'm logged in to fb, constantly on the green dot... It won't show the mobile icon and people think you are lurking on fb 24/7 - not good, also it is probably perceived that you have a rubbish phone that can't run fb chat as it looks like you are permanently signed in on a PC and not a mobile app.
I think I have installed/tested every IM app for fb and they all have this issue... Any ideas???

This is by far my biggest bug bear of WP7.5, with a lack of Flash Player a close second.

Florin Anghel

Banned
Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
You people are always connected to fb chat? because on the status.live.com the connected services fix is postponed until Jan 19. That's more than a month since the chat is not properly working and the fb push notifications..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05