Sharing Apps between two accounts

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Etyrnus, My apologies. I don't think you get my point. iOS lets you share apps between devices. Windows Phone does not.

jjmurphy

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
This also brings into question, who is the owner of a device? The person who bought it? The person who uses it most? The person who pays the bills. I think that's a large part of the disagreement. To me, I bought it, I maintain it, my wife uses it.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I do get your point. This is not iOS. Microsoft/WP8 treats each account as individual. Yes you may have multiple devices, but the expectation is that they are your devices, not a shared device. That is why my example of the GPS stands in counter to your comment about Navigon. They are separate devices, separate people. If I wanted Navigon on my second line's device, I would have to purchase it, plain and simple, just like if I had a spouse who had their own vehicle and wanted a physical GPS, I would have to purchase two as well.

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
And once again, according to Microsoft's terms of use, you are not permitted to allow a third party to access your account. The apps are sold through a Microsoft account, and the owner of that Microsoft account is the person who owns the rights to use that app (only the developer owns the app). The owner of the rights can put that app on more than one device that he uses with his account, but again, since you cannot allow someone else to use your account, you are violating the terms of use if you allow someone else to use your accout, and you are stealing.

Why is this so hard to figure out?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Why is it that people have to fight so hard to justify their illegal activities? You've been shown the rules, both legal and in the terms of use, yet you still sit there hiding behind your keyboards trying to justify your crimes........... smh

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hopmedic, please show any case law where somebody has been prosecuted for what I describe with apps. Also, I haven't committed any crimes. My wife and I own both our devices equally. We both own everything equaly. I think you forgot about this part. We both work, and we bought our devices using our shared bank account, we also bought the apps with the same account. With a GPS device on Windows phone, I can install navagon onto 5 different devices using my live account so etyrnus. So buying a separate GPS unit has nothing to do with this, as it is the same as any other app.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
You're not grasping the very simple concept I'm laying out for you. The physical GPS example shows this. Let me try this approach. When you purchase an app, that is the equivalent to purchasing a product. Forget the software/physical object difference, it is still a product. Even better example. Dinner at a restaurant. Does your one purchase of one entree entitle your wife to a matching full entree at no charge? No. You can bypass that by sharing, yes, but then you come across the limitation you may both still be hungry. To get the full meal you must purchase two.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
In the end the terms of use between iOS and WP8 are very similar, you have to use the same login in iOS to download apps on multiple devices the same as WP8 requires you to. You are also supposed to own and have control of the device according to the general iOS app EULA. Apple makes it somewhat easier since they have a setting on the phone specifically for the app store. And now with iOS 6 you no longer have to enter a password for app updates. But in apple-land it's a widely accepted practice to share apps between "family" devices whether it's truly legal or not.

Media sharing is entirely different. You are allowed to share iTunes media with different devices, people, accounts, etc. up to a certain limit. I haven't even looked at how it works on WP8.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone lets you put any purchased app onto 5 devices with the same LIVE ID. All I am asking is that they expand this to some sort of family plan or something where you can separate windows phone marketplace and the other services. It would still be 5 devices, the funny part is that if you reach your 5 device limit, Microsoft will reset it currently, to only current devices. (see my sig) Well, I think we have all beaten the dead horse. We are know our stance. I am not here to debate about GPS units and what's the deal for dinner, I just want the same feature set as IOS. Maybe someday windows phone will have this, maybe not.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Hopmedic, please show any case law where somebody has been prosecuted for what I describe with apps. Also, I haven't committed any crimes. My wife and I own both our devices equally. We both own everything equaly. I think you forgot about this part. We both work, and we bought our devices using our shared bank account, we also bought the apps with the same account. With a GPS device on Windows phone, I can install navagon onto 5 different devices using my live account so etyrnus. So buying a separate GPS unit has nothing to do with this, as it is the same as any other app.

I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not up on looking up case law, and even if I was, whether someone has been prosecuted is not the point. What you are talking about is illegal whether you accept it or not. It doesn't matter if you own everything equally or not, there is no such thing as co-ownership of a Microsoft account. The terms of service, the key point which I've already posted, shows you that and you are too oblivious to facts to see them in front of your face. You are blinded by greed, and will continue to justify your crime until someone knocks on the door with a pair of co-joined bracelets and a matching pair for your wife as well. Won't that be a swell match made in heaven. Because you didn't want to spend a few extra bucks. As far as ownership of "purchased" intellectual property, I'd suggest a search of cases where people have died and heirs have tried to get into Amazon accounts to get Kindle content..... There's a can of worms..... Not much difference here...

Windows Phone lets you put any purchased app onto 5 devices with the same LIVE ID. All I am asking is that they expand this to some sort of family plan or something where you can separate windows phone marketplace and the other services. It would still be 5 devices, the funny part is that if you reach your 5 device limit, Microsoft will reset it currently, to only current devices. (see my sig) Well, I think we have all beaten the dead horse. We are know our stance. I am not here to debate about GPS units and what's the deal for dinner, I just want the same feature set as IOS. Maybe someday windows phone will have this, maybe not.
And as already pointed out, it is a violation of Microsoft's terms of service to allow someone else to use your live ID. To allow someone else to use your ID to use content that you purchased is essentially being an accessory to them stealing the intellectual property. Happy anniversary. Hope you enjoy your intimate stay in the gray bar resort. Meet Bubba.

Do I exaggerate? Yes. But is what I've stated possible? Yes, absolutely it is. It is completely within the realm of possibility. So what if they allow IP theft on iOS? Didn't your parents ever tell you no, and you said, "But Billy's doing it," and they said, "But we're not Billy's parents," ? Well, Microsoft isn't Apple, and if Apple wants to allow IP theft that doesn't mean Microsoft will. If MS were to implement a policy such as you have suggested, I suspect there would be a revolt among developers, and if you think the shortfall of apps is something now, just wait. I know I'd pull all of my apps from the store in a minute, and there wouldn't be another one there.

Microsoft isn't going to dictate to me what my selling price is, or that one sale is going to be for a whole family's phones.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
That horse isn't just dead, you've dragged it until the legs were worn to nubs. Your failure to grasp a simple metaphorical comparison astounds me, as you seem like an intelligent person, you've expressed your view in a civilized manner. It just boggles me that the concept doesn't come across to you.

edjr07

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Man this was an amazing read. I'm pretty sure the simple answer is no. Without making a master login , for both phones, you can't. However I have been against doing that for a long time. Especially how hard it is to manage your accounts across multiple windows devices. PC, tablet, and phone. I would imagine doing that would actually break functionality of "rooms" on wp8. Since its driven by the primary account on the phone.

What your asking whatever they want to call it doesn't look like it will ever be possible on windows phone. What's also bugs is we don't even have a way to gift an app. I do enjoy that right now on my iPad. With multiple users on one device I get to see the benefits of what your asking for. I just don't see it the new ms framework. **** even on my desktop my fiance and I have to figure out a way to share purchased apps. If you end up not staying with windows phone then so be it. You are voting with your wallet and more should be done FASTER to keep you here.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
You mistake my confusion as an insult. Some of us have tried various ways to express both the policies and viewpoint of this OS vs your previous, and yet you dismiss any viewpoint different from yours as invalid. You want apps to basically be shareware, when this OS is set up with them as what they are, a product.

msdugn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
What a sad, sad thread.

A user asked a simple question and it devolved into this. For the good of the Windows Phone community and this forum, please don't ever make this thread and the antics of Hopmedic a sticky.

In short, no - you can't share accounts between Windows Phone devices in the way that's similar to iOS.

JJMurphy and RdubMu were super-helpful in describing that the iOS model (multiple devices - whether they be the same or different - iPads, iPhones, etc.) can share the same account. That means that all 4 iPads in my house can share the same games/apps I purchase via my single account. Right or wrong, that's the model.

The Microsoft model is different. You can still share the account across 5 devices, but these are expected to be distinct devices of different sorts. Like a Windows 8 PC/Tablet, perhaps another Windows RT device and a Windows Phone - not multiple Windows Phones.

While the iOS and Microsoft app models are different, I'm not sure any of this rises to the level of illegal behavior and stealing. If you use Windows 8/RT/Windows Phone devices, you can see the level of personalization built into the newer devices and platform that renders the iOS notion of sharing (apps, settings, etc.) somewhat outdated. When you buy a Windows Phone, you really do personalize it. And that's not just the Live Tile aspects of personalizing, but rather the idea that the Microsoft-based device becomes a personalized hub of information, games, apps, settings, IE favorites, SkyDrive shared pictures that's different from the iOS model.

Please leave words like 'pirating', 'stealing', 'case law' and all other nonsenseical, overly dramatic commentary for Reddit and MySpace.

If you ever make a (new) thread answering this good, valuable and repeated question regarding 'app sharing' a sticky, please just do the community a favor and answer the question in a way that stirs positive emotions and the desire to apprecaite and return to this community and forum. Anything else is just counterproductive to the site and the platform.

Last edited:

kwajr

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Basically what you're talking about is stealing. Let's just call it what it is. It is software piracy. There is no need to call it app sharing, account sharing, or anything else to make it sound OK.

But since you don't seem to grasp the seriousness of the crime that you are talking about committing, let me spell out the penalties for you:

In the United States, the maximum civil penalty is $150,000 per infringement in a lawsuit for a copyright violation. This means that for every single program or work that was illegally copied and/or distributed, the infringer could have to pay $150,000. As you can imagine, a civil suit may cost a violator millions of dollars.

Read more: Legal Penalties for Software Piracy | eHow.com Legal Penalties for Software Piracy | eHow.com

On the other hand, piracy of software can be seen as a criminal act akin to stealing. In this case, the infringer can be charged with a criminal offense. In the United States, the maximum criminal penalty for copyright infringement is a fine of up to $250,000 and a jail sentence of up to five years. This involves damages that are both monetary and psychological. A prison record can seriously mar the life of any individual.

Read more: Legal Penalties for Software Piracy | eHow.com Legal Penalties for Software Piracy | eHow.com

By the way, the reason my name is a different color is because I am a developer with published apps in the Windows Phone Store.

care to tell us the apps you made so we don't have to buy them are support you

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
It is worth noting, especially for those giving the OP a difficult time, that the Windows Store (not to be confused with the Windows Phone store) allows users to install apps on up to 5 devices AND you don't have to use the same login. The store app in Windows 8 has its own account setting. Presumably this is because you don't have to login to Windows 8 with a Microsoft account and PCs are typically multi user devices. Either way, there is some precedent for the OPs question and it isn't entirely out of the question.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
So, if my wife & I were to get Windows phones, would we legally have to get separate Live IDs? We use one email account & one Facebook account. Our Android phones are both logged in to our shared Google account. Any paid apps are available on both phones, as well as our Android tablet. What I'm understanding is that if we would have Windows phones, it would be against Microsoft's ToS to use the same Live ID (we only have one), at least if apps were purchased. Correct?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
What a sad, sad thread.

A user asked a simple question and it devolved into this. For the good of the Windows Phone community and this forum, please don't ever make this thread and the antics of Hopmedic a sticky.

In short, no - you can't share accounts between Windows Phone devices in the way that's similar to iOS.

It is a very sad thread indeed. It's been a long time since I've seen someone so proud of a stance that was not only immoral, but criminal, even after it was pointed out to him. I also love the way you agree with me after insulting me. That's lovely.

tlgraber, I don't know what Google's TOS are - I took a quick look, and didn't find anything in their TOS that prohibits allowing someone to access your account (that doesn't mean it's not there - it means I didn't see it). But Microsoft prohibits it. So you would have to have separate Live IDs if you want to be within the TOS, and to purchase apps and be legal. You CAN use gmail in a Windows Phone, if that's what you still want to use for your email, though. I use gmail as my primary email.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers