WP8 is not stable... rushed to market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Come on, what, do I need to post a pic showing you my Trophy to prove I'm really a WP user WTF!

No... but you do need to recognize that since the release of WP8 and the new phones upon which it runs, this forum has been plagued by Android and iOS trolls coming in and thrashing on WP8. So a post where someone comes in and says his 15 year-old daughter is going to run the show looks a lot like trolling, especially when you're kinda harshing on the responses people are giving you.

That said, my son is almost 22 so I grok what little PITA's they can be. That that said, I believe you should not cave to your daughter's whims... if there's a problem with the phone, get it fixed (which probably means exchange the phone); a 15 year-old shouldn't be able to get whatever they want because they piss and moan about what they have.

No offense intended, just another father's opinion. :)

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
While I don't believe you are a troll, this phone really sounds like a dud. Activation issues, crashes opening system apps... Yeah, I'd say get it exchanged. I have minimal issues with my HTC TITAN and they aren't deal-breakers. Also, sit down with her and try and get to the root of the problem. I didn't follow peer pressure by going WP7. All my friends (and even my potential girlfriend) will be telling me go iPhone. NO, I WILL NOT GO iPhone!

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
You would be surprised at how many trolls we get on forums like this. I am an admin on another forum related to windows phones and your post certainly sounded that way. There was no offence intended, just offering my thoughts. Anyway before you return the phone try a hard reset. It could have been a bad flash on the rom from factory. Its worth a try.

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've have a HTC trophy running 7.5. and just got my 15 yr old daughte a Lumia 822. SHe was on the fence between the 822 or an Iphone 4s. Unfortunatly we've had problems since she got the phone on Friday. 1st we had issues activating, then pretty much all day trying to get texting, syncing email or music sync working properly. The Music or media sync app is a *^%8 mess. This morning she calls me & says that her phone is poop. She can't open system apps they all just go back to start screen. She is 15 & is the only one of her friends with a Windows Phone. She no longer loves her phone. It is turning negative really fast & if this is not fixed ASAP she will return it for an iphone & tell all her friends & anyone else how bad her Wiindows Phone was. She was so excitred to show off her new "Lumia" at school tomorrow but now she said she won't even show anyone. This is exaclty what WP does not need. By looking on this forum, MS & Nokia support forum things are not looking good.... It seems WP8 was not finished & rushed out by the type of issue that are being reported. Wasn't WP8 with NT kernal supposed to be more stable than 7.5 based on CE kernal? I have now decided to sit this round out & upgrade my Trophy in February or March.

II'veooccasionally had issues opening system apps before on every WP I've had (hd7, titan, focus s, focus flash, 920) and restarting the phone fixed that. As for the other things, I'm at a loss.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
1st of all she is not "running" the show as you say. 2nd I convinced her to get the phone over the Iphone. The issue I am having trying get her phone functioning combined with what I have been reading on 3 separate forums has made me hold on upgrading right now. The fact still remains there are issues that need to be addressed, since the spotlight is on WP8 right now it is not good. The problem with my kids phone if not fixed is, she having this experience will tell all her friends at school & like it or not will deter others from getting a WP8 phone or reinforce why they have their droid or Iphone. The same way her telling all them that the phone is awesome & can do this & that, etc.... That's called word of mouth advertising, by the way......

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Again I know all these things, & I know how it's supposed to work I've had a WP for 2 years. The point is I shouldn't have to do a hard reset to get it to work in the 1st place, new phone or new OS.

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why you would care about word of mouth on WP8 so much. Regardless, u are correct that the phone should work as advertised. Try a hard reset and see if it helps. Now as a warning the one issue I did have with my L920 was when I reset back to factory. It got stuck on the reset screen and wouldn't reboot. But there is a fix for it if it does happen.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You would be surprised at how many trolls we get on forums like this. I am an admin on another forum related to windows phones and your post certainly sounded that way. There was no offence intended, just offering my thoughts. Anyway before you return the phone try a hard reset. It could have been a bad flash on the rom from factory. Its worth a try.
Thanks Paul, I uninstalled the Skype app & hard reset it. My point is that most users don't come to forums. They see the tv ads or one of us tells them sells them on getting one & between MS, hardware makers & the carriers, this "re-launch needed to go a lot better. Not saying all is lost & it's game over, just that it's been a lessthan steller launch. Same goes for IOS 6 & Iphone 5 but they have 4 times the market share & crazy followers....

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why you would care about word of mouth on WP8 so much. Regardless, u are correct that the phone should work as advertised. Try a hard reset and see if it helps. Now as a warning the one issue I did have with my L920 was when I reset back to factory. It got stuck on the reset screen and wouldn't reboot. But there is a fix for it if it does happen.
I'm worried because word of mouth is much more powerful adverstising that any commercial ever could be & if you have a bunch of WP newbies having issues & telling aeveryone they know about it, it is hard to keep momentum....

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
if you have a bunch of WP newbies having issues & telling aeveryone they know about it, it is hard to keep momentum....

Yeah, like the iPhone 4's antenna issues. That sure slowed the iPhone's momentum.

Look, every phone model and OS has problems. What's going to cause more problems than the issues themselves is when people hold on to bad phones and complain about them instead of taking them back and getting them addressed.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, like the iPhone 4's antenna issues. That sure slowed the iPhone's momentum.

Look, every phone model and OS has problems. What's going to cause more problems than the issues themselves is when people hold on to bad phones and complain about them instead of taking them back and getting them addressed.
Yeah like those issues, but they still sold how many of them, the 4S & 5? WP can't afford those kind of issues right now with where the market share is without slowing adoption of the OS & re-inforcing reasons not to adopt WP.

AZBrowncoat

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeh, I have not heard of any of the problems your speaking of! I have only heard incredible things about windows phone! (heard some not so pleasant things about the 920s hardware specifically)

There are plenty of well-documented issues right here in this forum that are Windows Phone 8 specific and are not a result of the Lumia hardware.

Although I'm keeping my Lumia because I enjoy the fluidity of the OS, I cannot at this point recommend a WP8 based phone to anyone that I know unless they like to "tinker" with their phone.

How awful is it when every time someone asks me how I like my new Windows phone I tell them it is great BUT...is it ever good when you have to epilogue it with various issues that have been experienced?

As I have stated before...EVERY OS has issues/bugs and I expected a certain amount of problems when trying to switch from iOS to WP8 BUT, a new kernel/new OS or whatever, is no excuse for the music sync and music player not to work properly at launch. Everyone I know uses their smartphone as an music player even if they have an iPod just so they don't have to always carry multiple devices around and the broken music sync/player is a huge issue.

The broken music sync/player situation hurts anyone that is trying to transition from iOS and/or anyone that has used iTunes to 'RIP' their music collection as I know unequivocally that I am not the only one who's phone cannot "see" their music once it has been moved over to the phone that has purchased music from iTunes or has used iTunes to 'RIP' their music collection...and no it is not a DRM issue as I have no DRM'd songs in my library.

...and for anyone to state "nothing to see here...move along" is just BS - there are issues with WP8

Last edited:

Bryan_J

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'll give you the music app and sync experience - though that doesn't as much seem like stability issues as just plain poor design and missed opportunities. It also feels, unfortunately, like something that hurts those of us who came from WP7 and Zune music collection management more than newer users who weren't used to that (near perfect imo) experience.

Otherwise, I have to report my Lumia 920 has been behaving perfectly. Truly, my single complaint about the entire experience is Microsoft's music app - in every other category I can find nothing to complain about.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah like those issues, but they still sold how many of them, the 4S & 5? WP can't afford those kind of issues right now with were the market share is without slowing adoption of the OS & re-inforcing reasons not to adopt WP.

This is why people are questioning your troll-hood. Rather than accept some of the solutions presented to you - such as exchange the faulty phone - you want to go on arguing how a 15 year-old can damage WP's momentum by complaining about her faulty phone. If you exchange her phone, get her one that works, she'll be happy and then loudly praise the phone, which will put your concerns to rest.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

Why wouldn't a WP fan care about word of mouth?

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is why people are questioning your troll-hood. Rather than accept some of the solutions presented to you - such as exchange the faulty phone - you want to go on arguing how a 15 year-old can damage WP's momentum by complaining about her faulty phone. If you exchange her phone, get her one that works, she'll be happy and then loudly praise the phone, which will put your concerns to rest.
If you actually read the my replies, I have already hard reset the phone & uninstalled the skype app & things are good now. If the issues come back after use today it will go back. But that's not the point of the post & you are a blind ****** if you think these kind of issues & the the power of 15 yr old or any other age group of people's word of mouth experiance has on a product. It's the holiday season & there are millions of parents gettig ready to or have already bought a new phone for their kids. All these kids will spread either good or bad experiance with their new device & others will base what they get on what their friends &/or family have to say about them..... Then the cycle repeats over & over

1fishermun

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
All phones have issues at launch from android to IOS, it seems like some people in this forum make it sound like WP is the only os with issues, I've experienced freezing, random shut off, battery drains, reception issues on many android and iPhone devices. No company can test as effectively as the general public. Most of the time when there is a issue it's not do to rushed software, but the actual hardware running it. There is no best phone or os, only the best phone for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo