WP8 is not stable... rushed to market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
All phones have issues at launch from android to IOS, it seems like some people in this forum make it sound like WP is the only os with issues, I've experienced freezing, random shut off, battery drains, reception issues on many android and iPhone devices. No company can test as effectively as the general public. Most of the time when there is a issue it's not do to rushed software, but the actual hardware running it. There is no best phone or os, only the best phone for you.
I agree with everything you said but in the reality we live in WP has 3.4% market share Droid has 57% & Apple 35% in order to catch up WP has to do better than them when it comesto issues, period.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I have activated two 822's (previously had a Trophy) and while I agree that the syncing of music is not as good as WP7, it is workable. I had "activation issues" on one and had to call Verizon and they activated it manually. The other activated itself. When you have a 4G device on Verizon, it takes 20-30 minutes to get going on the network. It's just the way it is.

As far as not opening core apps, that is certainly a problem, but it is not one I have read about on these forums and I am on here every day.

Exactly what problems are you having with texting and email?

I'm sorry your experience has been negative, but especially with the 822, I think it is the exception.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There are plenty of well-documented issues right here in this forum that are Windows Phone 8 specific and are not a result of the Lumia hardware.

Although I'm keeping my Lumia because I enjoy the fluidity of the OS, I cannot at this point recommend a WP8 based phone to anyone that I know unless they like to "tinker" with their phone.

How awful is it when every time someone asks me how I like my new Windows phone I tell them it is great BUT...is it ever good when you have to epilogue it with various issues that have been experienced?

As I have stated before...EVERY OS has issues/bugs and I expected a certain amount of problems when trying to switch from iOS to WP8 BUT, a new kernel/new OS or whatever, is no excuse for the music sync and music player not to work properly at launch. Everyone I know uses their smartphone as an music player even if they have an iPod just so they don't have to always carry multiple devices around and the broken music sync/player is a huge issue.

The broken music sync/player situation hurts anyone that is trying to transition from iOS and/or anyone that has used iTunes to 'RIP' their music collection as I know unequivocally that I am not the only one who's phone cannot "see" their music once it has been moved over to the phone that has purchased music from iTunes or has used iTunes to 'RIP' their music collection...and no it is not a DRM issue as I have no DRM'd songs in my library.

...and for anyone to state "nothing to see here...move along" is just BS - there are issues with WP8

Very well said, better than I could, apparently.....

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Why wouldn't a WP fan care about word of mouth?

I think that is something MS needs to worry about. Its their product. I guarantee there are more positive reviews than negative with the OS and hardware through word of mouth. That's why we have all the people posting in the forums from people who have converted from iOS and android.

AZBrowncoat

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I agree with everything you said but in the reality we live in WP has 3.4% market share Droid has 57% & Apple 35% in order to catch up WP has to do better than them when it comesto issues, period.

Among my friends & family I'm the "techie" - so when they ask me what computer or what phone should I get my word carries some weight and as it stands I'm suggesting that they stay with Android if they have anything invested in the Android platform or that they stay with iOS if they have anything invested in the iOS platform.

If they don't have anything invested in either platform (switching to a smartphone) or they don't have a significant investment in either platform I suggest to them only to look at WP8 if their music is all MP3 files but if they have predominately AAC files I suggest that they get an iPhone.

I'd love to be able to tell them without reservation that WP8 is solid...but it is simply not.

Microsoft's only chance at this point with WP8 is to "build a better mousetrap" which so far they have not done, so they need to fix the software problems and count on synergies that can be built between Windows Phone 8, Windows 8 and Xbox to capture market share, but if enough users have a negative experience with WP8 and negative word-of-mouth spreads than WP8 will join the Kin and Zune in the scrapheap.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have activated two 822's (previously had a Trophy) and while I agree that the syncing of music is not as good as WP7, it is workable. I had "activation issues" on one and had to call Verizon and they activated it manually. The other activated itself. When you have a 4G device on Verizon, it takes 20-30 minutes to get going on the network. It's just the way it is.

As far as not opening core apps, that is certainly a problem, but it is not one I have read about on these forums and I am on here every day.

Exactly what problems are you having with texting and email?

I'm sorry your experience has been negative, but especially with the 822, I think it is the exception.
Thanks, I was surpised by the issues as well with the 822 because I have also noticed the lack of issues with them. SHe was not able to open the app it would go back to start screen. email would get stuck syncing. I hard reset it made sure the Nokia updates were installed & told her do not install the skype app! Did the work around to get her music & vids on the phone, so that good now as well.

Interestinly enough she asked about certain apps that are not available for WP & I told her that the OS is new & that their would be more apps in the coming months she was total ok with it. I pointed her to some WP apps with the same functionality & she was good to go.

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Ok, this is just BS. Now I'm trolling for expressing my thoughts.... Come on, what, do I need to post a pic showing you my Trophy to prove I'm really a WP user WTF!

Sometimes WP fans on this forum are a little quick to blame the messenger and make troll accusations. There are enough posts on these forums to show that some people have had problems with new windows phones. In my own case, I've had an 822 since mid-November, and it's been smooth sailing. No reboots, no hangs, no problems except for a few glitches with specific apps (downloading a language for the translator app was a long and clunky experience, for example). There was a learning curve but it wasn't nearly as steep as when I briefly tried an Android phone. The drift on these forums suggests that most 822 owners are very happy campers.

But it's clear that some people haven't been so lucky, and some have run into problems in the show-stopper range. In at least some cases, replacing the phone clears things up, so that might solve the problem. And, as some have suggested, your daughter may need some help getting over the initial transition to a new phone and operating system. The 822 won't do everything an iPhone can do, but it can do things the iPhone can't. My wife and kids all have iPhones, and I'm the tech consultant on my wife's phone (believe me, she needed a lot of help making the transition from an aging Palm Pre). But when it came time to buy a new phone for myself, after a brief Android fling I jumped to the Nokia. I'm very happy with the choice.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Among my friends & family I'm the "techie" - so when they ask me what computer or what phone should I get my word carries some weight and as it stands I'm suggesting that they stay with Android if they have anything invested in the Android platform or that they stay with iOS if they have anything invested in the iOS platform.

If they don't have anything invested in either platform (switching to a smartphone) or they don't have a significant investment in either platform I suggest to them only to look at WP8 if their music is all MP3 files but if they have predominately AAC files I suggest that they get an iPhone.

I'd love to be able to tell them without reservation that WP8 is solid...but it is simply not.

Microsoft's only chance at this point with WP8 is to "build a better mousetrap" which so far they have not done, so they need to fix the software problems and count on synergies that can be built between Windows Phone 8, Windows 8 and Xbox to capture market share, but if enough users have a negative experience with WP8 and negative word-of-mouth spreads than WP8 will join the Kin and Zune in the scrapheap.

I hate to use a car anolylogy but it's a good example. Hyundai no matter if you like them or not had to "build a better moustrap" by just making their cars better. They tried all the other gimics to get people to buy but, but still had a bad product. They made leaps & bounds market share gains by just making a better product. Now I'm not saying they are the best or have the best cars, just pointing out that they only saw big market share gains when they improved their product & customer experiance. With that came the changes in consumer perception that it is ok to buy a Hyundai product. All cars have issues, some more, some less. What they did is build cars that have less problems than the established cars.

MS needs to make sure their OS new kernal or not, new hardware or not, has fewer not the same amount or more issues than the leading iphone & droids. Droid has made that pretty easy with all the issues they have & Apple is stumbling more lately...

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes WP fans on this forum are a little quick to blame the messenger and make troll accusations. There are enough posts on these forums to show that some people have had problems with new windows phones. In my own case, I've had an 822 since mid-November, and it's been smooth sailing. No reboots, no hangs, no problems except for a few glitches with specific apps (downloading a language for the translator app was a long and clunky experience, for example). There was a learning curve but it wasn't nearly as steep as when I briefly tried an Android phone. The drift on these forums suggests that most 822 owners are very happy campers.

But it's clear that some people haven't been so lucky, and some have run into problems in the show-stopper range. In at least some cases, replacing the phone clears things up, so that might solve the problem. And, as some have suggested, your daughter may need some help getting over the initial transition to a new phone and operating system. The 822 won't do everything an iPhone can do, but it can do things the iPhone can't. My wife and kids all have iPhones, and I'm the tech consultant on my wife's phone (believe me, she needed a lot of help making the transition from an aging Palm Pre). But when it came time to buy a new phone for myself, after a brief Android fling I jumped to the Nokia. I'm very happy with the choice.

Thanks Lee, I have thick skin so I can take it. I just call it like I see it. My daughter is coming from a touch screen feature phone & Ipod. She actually had to earn her way to a smart phone by maintaing her GPA & doing her chores etc...

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Glad it seems to be working for your daughter. I really hopes she has a better experience with the phone this time around.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
It's been perfectly stable for me.

The trick right now I think is not to download apps willy-nilly, because not all of the older apps have been fully vetted for Windows Phone 8 yet. Right now I'm sticking primarily to apps which I see have been updated within a month or so of WP8 coming out. If you do that, you'll have no trouble. The Marketplace "hides" some apps that it knows aren't compatible, but not all of them...

Luckily almost every app I want to use has been updated already and runs great. Before too long the rest of the best will be updated too.

Michael Wagner

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I also picked a Lumina 822 on Friday from Verizon and had similar problems as you. I went into Setting, and reset the phone to factory settings (via Settings, About). Since doing this, phone's worked perfectly. In speaking to Verizon, Facebook app may also be causing issues, but I'm not sure if this is likely. If you want to avoid installing FB app, the built in People app is a unified social app (FB, Live, Twitter), that may provide what you need. Would love to know if this resolves your issue.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I do as well. She is looking forward to showing her new phone to all her friends. Believe it or not a lot of them are followers & get what others have that is "cool." WP has the potential to be the new "cool" device to have. Ironiclly she really likes the way the 8S looked but it's not available & has no front facing camera. She then liked the Lumia 920, again not availble on Verizon & no sd storage, she didn't like the 8X & didn't like the 822 until she saw it in the store. She had the 4S & 822 in either hand & picked the 822. She already customised her start screen & sent me a screen shot, grouped her friends & family, linked her facebook & twitter accounts, pinned her 2 best friends to the start screen, etc....

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
And BTW, WP8 IS stable.

When you say an OS "isn't stable" that indicates the OS itself is crashing left and right. WP8 does no such thing. What's happening here is she has some apps which have not been updated for WP8 and THOSE aren't "stable" so they are crashing. Remove the offending apps until they are updated and your problem will be solved.

Sheikmans

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
My HTC 8X Works perfectly fine, stable and gast. I don't experience,the problems you mention...the OS is according to my iPhone friends amazingly lagfree.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
And BTW, WP8 IS stable.

When you say an OS "isn't stable" that indicates the OS itself is crashing left and right. WP8 does no such thing. What's happening here is she has some apps which have not been updated for WP8 and THOSE aren't "stable" so they are crashing. Remove the offending apps until they are updated and your problem will be solved.
Your right maybe should have worded it different, but in the newbie or general populations world, to them they don't care if it's an app, OS or hardware it's all WP.
But also there is a question mark, indicating a question not a statment....

Klutch12

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ummm you seem like you're here to just bash on WP8. Google just released jelly bean 4.2 and there is already a 4.2.1 update going around. Just go exchange the phone and stop complaining. its that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs