Moving back to WP7.8, WP8 is rushed with no reasons to use it

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I love podcasts- one of the things keeping me from WP 8 is the podcast horror stories. I am sure that will work itself out. No matter what the official line is, either there is a problem and MS will address it or there isn't and us podcast users will adjust.

I am not a huge app user, but I am looking forward to WP 8 getting the app situation caught up and ended for good. By the time the Holidays roll around in 2013, there really will be no excuse for WP users to not have all the major applications that Android and iOS have. None. Local apps (news stations, banks and credit unions, ECT) may be a little while in the making. But the major ones we are missing need to be available by then, and I am confident they will be.

I really like the WP 8 offerings out there. For those still rocking 1st generation WP 7's, low end Androids, or feature phones, these are AMAZING devices that I believe will sing as soon as some updates hit the airwaves. But, most of us second generation users truly are in the best position right now. Fairly new devices, decent support, and 7.8 on the way. I am comfortable with my decision to wait until early to mid next year to decide on a WP 8 toy. I will enjoy the update on my Focus S and see what comes. Hey, it is one of the advantages of jumping on WP 7 when we did. :wink:

nic comino

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I am stunned nobody has written an app that puts a live tile on the home screen that actually toggles wifi and other settings on and off (ie not a button that takes me into a menu to do it - but a button that performs a task for me)......stunned! I should probably learn how to write apps :)

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Runam0k: Agreed :p .

I dont get the problem with podcasts, could someone explain it to me like im 3 years old?

My only involvement with podcasts is downloading them as mp3s, which clearly isnt the problem you guys are having :p .

koldmiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
To the original poster...am I understanding you right that you're saying Skype doesn't work? Because my son and I use it every night and it works like a charm. That could have been a deal breaker for us since we used Facetime all the time on our iphones.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

I never understood why these features aren't implemented, especially colors. How hard would it be to allow us to make our own color. Or if they don't want to do that, give us a couple dozen choices. This is something a ten year old could do messing around with MS Paint on Windows 95.

I think we are going to start seeing more tweaking like we did with iOS, especially in the early days. People would root to get certain functionality and Apple would implement bits and pieces in upcoming OS's (often almost exactly like a third party dev had already done).

That said, I think your thread title is just a tad sensationalist. Not everyone roots, or can root, so saying WP8 gives no reason to upgrade is a bit of an overstatement. Frankly, if you are comparing stock 7.8 to 8, 8 has a bundle of reasons to upgrade. Unfortunately there are also bugs in there that can be frustrating. It all depends on what each individual user values and is able/willing to sacrifice I guess.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Which makes WP8 great for you and incredibly frustrating for the rest of us! :)
Eh, I wouldn't say that a lack of caring about podcasts makes WP8 great for me, it's just one less thing that I have to worry about. Right now, I would say my WP* experience is mediocre-good, depending on the day (freezes, reboots, battery dyeing in 5 hours). Right now, my biggest gripe is consistency. I have gone a week without freezes/reboots, and the other day it happened three times. Being that I rely on my phone for work, that is going to be way more frustrating to me than difficulty loading media ever will.

mobileDerek

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I hear your sentiment. In fact, I'm going back to Windows Mobile 6.5!!! No wait.. I'm going back to Pocket PC 2003!!! Yeah, that is right... Also, I'm moving to Canada. JK.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I am stunned nobody has written an app that puts a live tile on the home screen that actually toggles wifi and other settings on and off (ie not a button that takes me into a menu to do it - but a button that performs a task for me)......stunned! I should probably learn how to write apps :)
This comes up every now and then. This is a limitation of the OS. Same way iOS works. Can't be done without root access.

Shiranui2012

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft has clearly overlooked this, I am quite baffled as to why app developers should even write an aftermarket app for simple functions such as these.
Android has had them included for ages already!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077