Moving back to WP7.8, WP8 is rushed with no reasons to use it

Hiiiiiiiii

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hardware is amazing, software is a disappointment.

The truth is, Microsoft lied to everyone. We were told that all WP7 apps will work on WP8 phones but that was a false promise.

The reality is: only the crap apps and games from WP7 work and everything else (Skype, Facebook, PayPal, WhatsApp, Tentacles, etc.) require a re-development.

We already have a fraction of the apps but with WP8 you get a fraction of a fraction and for what? WP 7.8 includes a new lock screen, updated start screen, even features that don't exist on WP8 like SMS drafts...

Not only that but Microsoft itself does not give a damn about WP8 apps, otherwise we would have already seen their own games and apps ported to WP8 (Photosynth, Tentacles being some of them).

I am moving back to WP 7.8 and will wait for Apollo+.

There are too many drawbacks and zero reasons to use WP8 (minus the hardware), promised great DirectX games are not here, major apps don't work, random reboots, app crashes, etc. It's just a rushed product.

abhibh

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hiiiiiiiii - You do have valid points but the app development is in progress give it sometime. Also 7.8 is not out yet how can you shift to 7.8 now ? Unless you already have a Windows 7 device and using a custom 7.8 wanna be rom.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Hm okay.

Personally Ill stick with it because I view a lot of video during travel, and the 920screen is amazing. In addition to that, the WP8 system works flawlessly for me.

I have no apps I miss. Tentacles im bored of, thank god, but wouldnt mind having it on my 920 as well, it was a fun game. Skype I dont need, Instagram I dont understand why is popular at all, facebook works well for me (what do you miss here?), twitter works fine but Im not a heavy user, and I use Viber, not Whatsapp, so thats not a problem either.

I feel my lack of attatchment to certain apps from other OSes (meego, belle, android, wp7.5) is a huge advantage for me, as I dont have the same pitfalls as many other users.

The camera on the 920 is quite good, I like the panorama app and the lowlight shots. I also like the PhotoBeamer, but thats probably available for the 7.5 phones as well. All hardware, but all relevant nonetheless.

Hiiiiiiiii

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hiiiiiiiii - You do have valid points but the app development is in progress give it sometime. Also 7.8 is not out yet how can you shift to 7.8 now ? Unless you already have a Windows 7 device and using a custom 7.8 wanna be rom.

Final (RTM) roms are already available for WIndows Phones (including HTC HD2) at XDA.

marbla

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Seriously: ms said that most apps would work and they do. There are a few apps that don't work yet now (5 weeks after launch!) and I think that will get better soon.
Did you really think that such a big transition would go without any kinks? I see quite some promise in wp8 and know that I am an early adopter.
If the lack of these apps at the very moment bothers you that much then staying at wp7 is perfectly reasonable. For me the hardware and the higher res is enough. Besides: most of my apps are either working or updated for wp8 already or the developer is working on it currently.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
This sort of thing happens with any generational shift in hardware.

For instance when moving from Sony PS1 -> PS2, there was loads of compatibility issues like this, because clever developers find clever tricks to get round issues, or limitations of the hardware. Allowing them to do things that shouldn't be possible, or to achieve more performance than should be possible.

If you expect perfection, then early adoption is a silly idea for you, i've early adopted many products over the years, and its always the same, people get soo hyped up in something new, they expect it to be life changing, when actually, its not much different than what they had before.

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Normally, I would have suggested waiting it out by staying on WP8 (I bet Apollo+ will be released much sooner than 7.8). But, you bring up some valid points and so I agree that if you'll be more productive on 7.5/7.8, then by all means go back to it and wait for WP8 to reach a mature point.

runam0k

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I agree, in that WP8 sucks right now (for me: native pocast "support" completely taken out(!), music syncing/playlist issues, various apps that I used on my Lumia 800 not available for WP8 yet, etc). But I love my 8X, so I guess I'll have to wait it out.

I just wish MS would communicate more. So many good ideas from WP users on http://www.windowsphone.uservoice.com that seemingly go ignored with no indication at all of what is and is not in development.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Why is everyone saying no native podcast support? I'm listening to a podcast right now!

And so far I haven't found a single app that doesn't work on my 8x (I mean yeah some of them have the ugly bars, but they all have worked)

I've had WP8 for a week and i am in no way looking back at 7.5. 8 does everything 7.5 does and more! I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way!

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm doing both. Keeping my 8x and Titan2. I just wish they used the same sim card so I could switch phones without going to an att store.
Sent from my Blue AT&T 8x using Board Xpress

marbla

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Why is everyone saying no native podcast support? I'm listening to a podcast right now!

And so far I haven't found a single app that doesn't work on my 8x (I mean yeah some of them have the ugly bars, but they all have worked)

I've had WP8 for a week and i am in no way looking back at 7.5. 8 does everything 7.5 does and more! I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way!

There is no podcast support outside the us through Xbox marketplace though I'd argue that you could just use Podcasts! and the likes to get them.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I just wish MS would communicate more. So many good ideas from WP users on http://www.windowsphone.uservoice.com that seemingly go ignored with no indication at all of what is and is not in development.

Why? Apple don't say anything, you just get a big flashy presentation, and you know everything. Google don't say much either.

Whilst communication is a nice idea, its also a pain for loads of reasons.

1. If your idea is "in progress", you'll grow increasingly impatient every day between Microsoft announcing its in progress, and the day it gets released.
2. If your idea is not "in progress", you just get annoyed every day, and every time a new idea is added as "in progress".
3. If Microsoft raise everyone's hopes, then have to delay an idea till the next update, it just infuriourates people who have been waiting weeks or months.
4. If we all know 90% of whats coming in the next update, what have Microsoft got to make a song and dance about? we've know everything for months.

I could go into loads more reasons, but constant communication isn't always a productive thing.

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm doing both. Keeping my 8x and Titan2. I just wish they used the same sim card so I could switch phones without going to an att store.
Sent from my Blue AT&T 8x using Board Xpress

Get a sim card cutter and mini-sim adaptor so you can hot swap sim. I am doing this on my focus S and Lumia 920.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
The truth is, Microsoft lied to everyone. We were told that all WP7 apps will work on WP8 phones but that was a false promise.

Kind of like the Xbox 360, we were promised that original Xbox games would work, in reality the only games that ran were Halo CE, a handful of other A-list games, and the really cheap and cr*ppy games.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Why? Apple don't say anything, you just get a big flashy presentation, and you know everything.

They make an announcement about the new OS then give you access to the beta right away so you have several months to get your apps updated or ready for the official release. They do it the right way.

Now, I have every confidence that Microsoft will start doing this, now that WP is on the NT kernel and starting to come together with Windows.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon