Can ATT really refuse to sell us phone off contract?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I was refused when trying to purchase the 920 at my local AT&T corporate store. Never had I been and I have bought outright over 26 phones within the last two years. I calmly walked out called 611 reported the store to AT&T and my entire bill was credited for my displeasure and my account foot noted to allow the purchase of this phone with no exceptions.

that's pretty awesome....for people that are on ATT. For the rest of us who don't want their contracts OR ridiculous rates and fees that's not an option.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't really understand what the fuss is. As of today, right this moment, the ATT 920 can't be unlocked to use on another network. So if it's locked to ATT, why wouldn't they require you to be their customer to buy their product? Now, maybe in 6 months when the "exclusivity" ends or whatever, I can see having an argument. But as of today, there's no reason to be upset by this.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
My wife was in search of her beloved Revlon Red (as I call it) Lumia 920. A couple stores would refuse to sell it to a paying customer (her) off contract. Is this something I should be complaining about to someone high in the chain of command or is this common practice among wireless carriers? I have enough mind to report this to the BBB. I understand the whole commission and commitment thing, but I want to buy a product from you, but you wont sell it unless I guarantee I will stay for 2 years. Why even post the full retail price on the tag in the store if you wont sell it for that much?

That doesn't sound right at all as I have done exactly what you are trying to do with no problems. I just told them it was a gift for somebody who already had their service and we would activate and and all that hoo-hah by ourselves when we gave it to them. The carrier (T-Mobile) didn't care at all and were more than willing to let me pay for a phone.Same 14 day return policy and everything.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Any store can refuse to sell you whatever they want. Just because a store sells something doesn't mean you are entitled to buy it.

Of course no one is entitled to anything when it comes to shopping somewhere (except for good customer service). However, if the phone has an off contract advertised price, then I don't see how that's legal that they won't sell it to a customer.

AZBrowncoat

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
AT&T, it's subsidiaries and contract stores are private business which can refuse to sell to anyone not in a "protected" class.

You may not like it and it would piss me off to no end but they are entirely within their rights.

https://www.legalzoom.com/us-law/equal-rights/right-refuse-service
The Federal Civil Rights Act guarantees all people the right to "full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin."

The right of public accommodation is also guaranteed to disabled citizens under the Americans with Disabilities Act, which precludes discrimination by businesses on the basis of disability.

You on the other hand have the right to take your business elsewhere and to ***** to AT&T's corporate offices.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I walked into an att store and bought an 8x off contract. They even sold me the last one they had. I'd call att customer service and raise heck!
Sent from my Blue AT&T 8x using Board Xpress

That's because the 8X isn't in demand like the 920. They probably have plenty of 8X's.

tmotytn

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Maybe those particular stores wouldn't sell them off-contract due to inventory issues...I have bought phones off-contract at corporate stores, authorized retailers, and third parties like Best Buys and Frys numerous times, but it has always been dependent on the on-hand inventory--which, in this case, may actually be the issue based on what we've been reading all over the interwebs.

anon(2523636)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
A vendor can choose to sell or not sell anything they like as long as they are not choosing who to do so by race, gender, disability or religion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99