Can not copy large video file from phone to computer.

Sydrian

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I recorder a 45 min video, 4.5gb the other night. Plays great on phone, doesn't seem to be any problem with the video file. When I attempt to copy the file via USB to my computer, it always terminates the copy early leaving me with a 502mb file. This is using a Lumia 920, and the PC is running Windows 8. I've attempted to sync the file, and simply drag & drop copy. Both end with the same results. Has anyone else run into this issue?

EDIT: I tried to copy the file over on an XP machine with 74gb of free space. It gave me an error saying I didn't have enough storage space on the computer I was copying to.

Last edited:

Mech0z

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue, not sure how to fix it, I will try to upload to skydrive using wifi and see if that works

Sydrian

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
From what I've read, WP8 uses MTP for USB conectivity. MTP seems to have issues in general with the transfer of large files. As for wifi uploading of video to skydrive, I tried that, set to high quality wifi transfer. Ended up with a terrible 50mb video. I tried copying it over on my XP machine at work, and it wouldn't even ATTEMPT to do it. Simply said I didn't have the room to transfer the file, on a HD with 70gb free.

I've also noticed that when you try to delete large files on the phone, they tend to move around instead of getting deleted.

Mech0z

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
From what I've read, WP8 uses MTP for USB conectivity. MTP seems to have issues in general with the transfer of large files. As for wifi uploading of video to skydrive, I tried that, set to high quality wifi transfer. Ended up with a terrible 50mb video. I tried copying it over on my XP machine at work, and it wouldn't even ATTEMPT to do it. Simply said I didn't have the room to transfer the file, on a HD with 70gb free.

I've also noticed that when you try to delete large files on the phone, they tend to move around instead of getting deleted.

So it runs FAT32? They really got to make a fix for that :/ at least make a way to transfer it over wifi with full quality

Last edited:

Morq

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The problem seems to be in your OS, not in phone or windows phone. If you're using windows xp you're most likely on fat32 file system which means max file size for you is less than 4gb. Next time try dividing the footage into smaller files (lesser than 4gb), or go to someone with windows 7/8 (or linux perhaps? not sure) that uses newer file system to divide it somehow into lesser files.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
XP has been default of NTFS since release (pretty sure), 2000 was the last fat32 OS (and even then, the pro's were all ntfs since sp2) ** If I recall correctly**.
The OP is also having the issue with win8 which is definitely not fat. Seems to be an issue with windows ditching mounting the partition as a USB drive if you ask me. I have a ton of movies and such over that size and if I can't move them around, i won't be switching from android.

Morq

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I stand corrected. When installing XP one can choose either ntfs or fat32, it is possible that he had chosen fat over ntfs, but that doesn't explain w8 issues.
As for windows8, I am recording some random movie as we speak, will wait for it to bloat to 4+gb and then see if I can copy it freely (using windows 8 x64).

-edit1-
Just realized how long would 4+gb movie had to be and gave up since its getting quite late already. I did however tried copying a 5gb movie file onto memorycard of my phone (to check if i can copy it back later) but at the end of copying I was receiving error saying that I either ran out of memory (can't be) or device stopped responding.
If I'll remember about it, I'll test it again tommorow.

Last edited:

Martog

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
For the XP Machine, unless the HDD came pre-formatted FAT32, anything 32GB and above was forced to NTFS for formatting. I doubt it's an issue there. Starting with Vista, I believe it always goes to NTFS without giving an option no matter the size of the drive.

Kind of a odd error, almost has to be with either how WP8 or the hardware handles the transfer.

Mech0z

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I run Windows 8 64bit on both my laptop and desktop, same issue on both.. so its either a Nokia issue or WP8 issue

f2thak

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
yes, this is f..ked. windows 8 PC, lumia 920 - I cant copy ANYTHING off it.

I get "device is unreachable"

Australian user.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
dump the file to a macintosh, then split it into 1gb sections and transfer back to phone memory, then attempt transfer the the w8 machine.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
this is not a viable solution.

it's both a viable (it will work) and also a test to see if a) the phone has an issue with transfers, b) the w8 box has issues with smaller transfers c) it gets the video -where the user wants it-.

splitting files into smaller sections has been around for a long time. it's not elegant, or fun, but neither is the original issue the OP asked about.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
who owns a mac? seriously, I can find a Linux user faster than a mac user. i'm guessing it something silly to do with that users equipment somehow, no way the phones are formatted fat anything, it's completely unsecure.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
who owns a mac? seriously, I can find a Linux user faster than a mac user. i'm guessing it something silly to do with that users equipment somehow, no way the phones are formatted fat anything, it's completely unsecure.

saw two people walking out of bestbuy yesterday with new imacs, so I know of three total. ;-)

mac, linux, bsd, whoever. the point was to split the file and try try again.

Pelico

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
The problem is on the PC side with what it look like any Windows OS. I had a similar problem trying to upload a 350MB video file from my Nokia Lumia 920 to a Windows 7 PC without too much success. After reading all the entries on this post, I decided to try using Linux Mint 15 live USB. It worked like a charm first try.
Below are the steps I took:
1. Go to the LinuxMint web site and download the ISO file
2. Download the universal USB installer
3. Run the Universal USB installer to create a Linux Mint bootable USB using the ISO file downloaded in step 1
4. Connect the USB to you PC and boot from it
5. When Linux Mint is up and running, connect you phone, go where you file is, and copy it to one of you Window partition on you PC.
6. Reboot windows and you file should be there

It will have to do until Microsoft fix the problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs