the verge is biased .....

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
The Verge being biased is nothing new. That's like saying a giraffe is tall. It's pretty much implied. I still like hearing what they have to say so I can smirk and laugh. But that's only a few of their editors that are very biased. There are some folks over there that actually like windows phones. But overall, biased. It's like calling an elephant heavy...they know that.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to point out the sheer stupidity in this article. Just to make you realize the intelligence of most writers on the internet.

[h=4]Grabber[/h]Quick access to the camera was a great addition to the lockscreen in mid 2011, but I think that the idea could be taken further. The grabber should be able to open any app action that you want. So, first, what exactly is an "app action?" It's basically anything that you do with an app. Update your status on Twitter, check-in on Foursquare, take a picture with Instagram, whatever. So you can customize your grabber to be one of those things.

This idea he presents is referencing the icon on iOS to open the camera app quickly. He's proposing flexibility and control. But like most consumers, even on these forums, he's only looking at what he wants for the phone, and not what the phone needs.

Think about the idea for a little longer. Hopefully, you realized that this guy just defeated the entire purpose of the lock screen, allowing instant/unauthorized access to any specific app the user chooses.

Great idea moron....

Squadromeo

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
This idea he presents is referencing the icon on iOS to open the camera app quickly. He's proposing flexibility and control. But like most consumers, even on these forums, he's only looking at what he wants for the phone, and not what the phone needs.

Think about the idea for a little longer. Hopefully, you realized that this guy just defeated the entire purpose of the lock screen, allowing instant/unauthorized access to any specific app the user chooses.

Woow, what a great idea.... PalmOS has had that option since around 2002 (for the 4 home buttons)

MacDaMachine

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Dude that isn't even posted by the Verge. It is a forum post. That's like saying WPCentral is biased and using a forum post as proof. Come on son.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Most tech sites are biased. The incidence of iPhones and Apple computers amongst their writers is close to 100%, despite a global market share of 12% and 2.5%, respectively.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The most interesting thing I find about that post is the number of WP references in the responses. I bet three months ago you wouldn't have seen a single Windows Phone reference.

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
The most interesting thing I find about that post is the number of WP references in the responses. I bet three months ago you wouldn't have seen a single Windows Phone reference.

Nah, they've been there for a long time, WP fanboys always go crazy on The Verge. Just look at their Lumia 900 review. The comments section on that article literally exploded.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I love the Verge, but they definitely are biased towards Android, the same way BGR is biased towards Apple. No big deal, but it's there.

For example :

The HTC One X + has minor upgrades over the HTC One X. The One X currently sells for between $49 and $99 depending on who you buy it from. The One X + sells for $199.

The Verge gave the Lumia 920, which sells for between $49 and $99 WITH a charging plate, a 7.9. The One X + just got an 8.6. Both received the same score for camera, but the One X + got a 9 for "design", and the 920 only got an 8. Really? So they have "equal" cameras AND the One X + is "better designed" than the 920? REALLLLLLLY? Ok....

They also complain about battery life in the One X + review, but it got a 9 compared to an 8 for the 920. Oh, and there's this :

Unfortunately, AT&T has its hooks in here as well, with a "Browser Bar" on the default browser, annoying integration into the Address Book, automatic Hot Spot connections, and all the rest. AT&T is still pushing its custom "Ready2Go" setup software, which is particularly annoying because HTC has its own setup solution at htcsense.com, which has been removed from this device.

A common knock against Windows Phone is "its all the same" and only hardware is really different. Yet all these tech reviewers do is b*tch about how carriers or OEMs are not running the PURE GOOGLE experience and are loading the phones with bloatware. So why does Windows Phone not get MORE credit for having NO bloatware (or, at least, uninstallable)?

It's just odd to see them hold the Windows Phone OS to a completely different standard than they do every other mobile OS. I've used iOS, Android, and WP and while all three have their positives and negatives, I can plainly see less ticky tack complaints levied against iOS and Android than Windows Phone.

Maybe Android is a better OS for phone/tech bloggers. I dunno. What I do know is that more and more tech bloggers are becoming more like movie and restaurant reviewers, read them to see what minor bullsh*t detail they'll complain about, and then just go see whatever movie or eat at whatever restaurant you want anyway. Nobody really takes their opinions all that seriously.

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I love the Verge, but they definitely are biased towards Android, the same way BGR is biased towards Apple. No big deal, but it's there.

For example :

The HTC One X + has minor upgrades over the HTC One X. The One X currently sells for between $49 and $99 depending on who you buy it from. The One X + sells for $199.

The Verge gave the Lumia 920, which sells for between $49 and $99 WITH a charging plate, a 7.9. The One X + just got an 8.6. Both received the same score for camera, but the One X + got a 9 for "design", and the 920 only got an 8. Really? So they have "equal" cameras AND the One X + is "better designed" than the 920? REALLLLLLLY? Ok....

They also complain about battery life in the One X + review, but it got a 9 compared to an 8 for the 920.

Very simple:

They got the same camera score because the Lumia 920 is disappointing in daylight photography.

The design is is a question of preference, some people like the 920 more, some like the One X better. But the one thing that everybody can agree on is that the One X is lighter and thinner than the 920. This gives it an edge in design and is the reason why it get's a higher score - even though both phones are comparably beautiful.

Battery life is comparable I think with one big exception - the 920 suffers from battery issues. This has to be accounted for, you can't ignore this. It's a valid complaint that knocks the score down.

So, there you go. No bias to be found.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I think the Verge is a mix of Android and Apple fans. Not a huge surprise -- that is 87% of the marketplace after all.

Remember when the 8X launched? Topolsky spent 90% of his time on his Vergecast ranting about how the 8X should run Android and only 10% of the time talking about the actual phone and its features. Not very useful as coverage.

Part of the problem you've got with "new media journalism" is that it's mostly advertorials. In other words, it's the opinions of an author with a bully pulpit, mixed with a little bit of news, and certainly influenced by who is paying for advertising and coverage. The only site I can think of that avoids this is AllThingsD.

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Remember when the 8X launched? Topolsky spent 90% of his time on his Vergecast ranting about how the 8X should run Android and only 10% of the time talking about the actual phone and its features. Not very useful as coverage.

But why did he do that? Because the WP OS is lacking and he wants the best of both worlds. The hardware design of the 8X and the functionality of Android.

There is no hidden agenda behind that, just a desire for perfection.

bamagrad03

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
All you need to know about the Verge bias is in Joshua Topolsky's video review of the Windows Surface RT. He blasted it and gave it a low score. But his major beefs with it were idiotic.

He was mad that you couldn't use it in keyboard and hinge foldout mode...in your lap. Seriously. He repeated that beef 4 times.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
But why did he do that? Because the WP OS is lacking and he wants the best of both worlds. The hardware design of the 8X and the functionality of Android.

There is no hidden agenda behind that, just a desire for perfection.

You can have a bias without having a "hidden agenda".

For example, in the NFL, the most talked about teams are the Cowboys, Raiders, and Jets. None of those teams are any good and don't deserved to be talked about nearly as much as they are. The media doesn't have some weird hidden agenda in talking about them, but they have a bias because there are more people who are fans of those teams than other teams.

The Verge is catering to its audience, which is probably something like 65% Android fans, 30% Apple fans, and 5% Microsoft fans. And so when they bash Microsoft, they know they're getting chuckles from 95% of their audience. But if they bash Android, that's only 35% of their audience that's entertained.

I guess the phrase "hidden agenda" implies something dishonest - I don't think the Verge is dishonest, I just think they do have a bias. Then again, they never claimed to be true journalists or anything - its fine for a blog to have a bias.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon