tired of Windows Phone not getting respect

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I currently have a non-smartphone (the Kin Onem to be exact, laugh all you want...lol) but I have been flirting with the idea of getting a smartphone for Christmas. The inner Microsoft supporter in me has lead me to want a Windows Phone 8 device. literally EVERY time i have brought this up to my friends, they act like I'd be the dumbest person alive to get a Windows Phone. Of course they have been riding iOS or Android and think (maybe rightfully so) that they're superior. I understand WP is new to most people, and people seem to hate any new idea that challenges their beliefs. but come on! I cant believe more people dont think the live tiles look awesome. I almost want to get a windows phone just to prove to them it can be a good idea. Sure, we need more apps, but all I would really use is Twitter and Facebook anyways, which we have.

Sorry, I'm just venting (for my first post on the forms btw), but I know you all probably share the same opinion as me. I don't think the haters will change their minds since they are so close to their current smartphone decisions. But if you do have a WP8 already, PLEASE make an effort to show your friends (dont be too overbearing) that they are cool and have a place in the smartphone market.

:smile:

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
There's no point really... WP8 is selling on its own. I've tried to, I could tell by the look in my friend's eyes they were just thinking "Will you STFU before I murder you please?" One of my more geeky friends who is well known as a tech-head to his friends also despises WP8. Thinks I'm a moron for buying it. He uses every platform as well. BlackBerry, iOS, Android, AND WP. Me, I'm WP (7, HTC TITAN), Android (HC, HTC Flyer), and iOS (iPod Touch 4th Gen).

As for me, I find WP to be really smooth, and heck, I've even dual-booted Windows 8 onto my MacBook Pro (I get a LOT of stick for that btw!), so I obviously like the live-tile concept. I'm trying to get with a lass that's a real Apple fangirl though. And she has the whole chabang. Two Mac computers (iMac and MBP), iPad, and iPhone. I have an Xbox 360 as well as having the whole Windows ecosystem really feels like it makes sense.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I get **** all the time from a coworker, who has converted to an iLifestyle. He jumped in with both feet, switching from Windows PCs to two MacBooks Pros, iphones, ipads and apple tv. It is somewhat for the fun of the rivalry that he rips into my phone on a constant basis, but he does believe what he is spouting. I tell you this in case you find yourself in a similar situation, that he, of all people, should understand the concept of "Think Different". That is why I like WP better than Android or IOS in spite of everything, is that I think the live tiles are a refreshing change of pace from how all smart phones look, and you are starting to see people say that ios is looking long in the tooth for it.

jaqueh

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
There's no point really... WP8 is selling on its own. I've tried to, I could tell by the look in my friend's eyes they were just thinking "Will you STFU before I murder you please?" One of my more geeky friends who is well known as a tech-head to his friends also despises WP8. Thinks I'm a moron for buying it. He uses every platform as well. BlackBerry, iOS, Android, AND WP. Me, I'm WP (7, HTC TITAN), Android (HC, HTC Flyer), and iOS (iPod Touch 4th Gen).

As for me, I find WP to be really smooth, and heck, I've even dual-booted Windows 8 onto my MacBook Pro (I get a LOT of stick for that btw!), so I obviously like the live-tile concept. I'm trying to get with a lass that's a real Apple fangirl though. And she has the whole chabang. Two Mac computers (iMac and MBP), iPad, and iPhone. I have an Xbox 360 as well as having the whole Windows ecosystem really feels like it makes sense.

this is the strangest but funniest posts I have read in a while. Thanks!

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to get with a lass that's a real Apple fangirl though. And she has the whole chabang. Two Mac computers (iMac and MBP), iPad, and iPhone.

Hmmm... hope you like credit card debt. She's going to want expensive meals, luxury cars, high end housing, bespoke furniture, and designer clothes... :grincry:

And the Microsoft haters of today are as ignorant as the Apple haters of 1999/2000. I remember I had an old boss who literally knocked me down a notch on my performance review for using a Mac laptop (PowerBook G3). "It's obsolete, doesn't run Microsoft Office, requires translation, cannot connect to a Microsoft network" and all sorts of other absurdities were in the review. It was generally a complaint that I didn't "conform" to what he thought was important.

Fast forward to today, and he's a total Apple Fan-Cultist. All Apple, all the time. When I reminded him of that review, he said something like "well, that was then. Now I don't see why ANYBODY uses Windows." He's going with it because it's the popular and cool thing, and makes him feel better about himself.

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I get **** all the time from a coworker, who has converted to an iLifestyle. He jumped in with both feet, switching from Windows PCs to two MacBooks Pros, iphones, ipads and apple tv. It is somewhat for the fun of the rivalry that he rips into my phone on a constant basis, but he does believe what he is spouting. I tell you this in case you find yourself in a similar situation, that he, of all people, should understand the concept of "Think Different". That is why I like WP better than Android or IOS in spite of everything, is that I think the live tiles are a refreshing change of pace from how all smart phones look, and you are starting to see people say that ios is looking long in the tooth for it.

yeah man I agree on "thinking different", its one of the main reason I want WP8. I have an iPod touch, and figure I dont want another iOS device, and why not get something that no one else has? I have no problem with being the first guy to do it as long as it works well. at the end of the day, I wouldnt do it just to be different, I also have belief in the operating system.

the real smackbo

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I agree too .. IOS is a nine year old technology .. And They stole the idea from windows mobile 6 around ten years ago .. Its an old tired technology that won't be around much longer unless they completely redesign the entire OS .. I think Microsoft is on to something with this OS.. Its the future of mobile technology .. Instant, simple and intuitive information right at your finger tips just turn it on and go

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... hope you like credit card debt. She's going to want expensive meals, luxury cars, high end housing, bespoke furniture, and designer clothes... :grincry:

Oh thank Guthix I don't have a credit card (nor do I want one). But this could certainly get interesting... But that was honestly one of the most amusing things I have read. Almost tempted to text one of my good mates that. She uses a Nokia Lumia 800 btw. I was considering going Android but got a right earful for it. She thinks Android is crap. Unfortunately for her, her boyfriend uses it. Then again, to him a phone's a phone so she might be able to convince him to WP.

And the Microsoft haters of today are as ignorant as the Apple haters of 1999/2000. I remember I had an old boss who literally knocked me down a notch on my performance review for using a Mac laptop (PowerBook G3). "It's obsolete, doesn't run Microsoft Office, requires translation, cannot connect to a Microsoft network" and all sorts of other absurdities were in the review. It was generally a complaint that I didn't "conform" to what he thought was important.

Fast forward to today, and he's a total Apple Fan-Cultist. All Apple, all the time. When I reminded him of that review, he said something like "well, that was then. Now I don't see why ANYBODY uses Windows." He's going with it because it's the popular and cool thing, and makes him feel better about himself.

It seems to me like he's trying to make bull**** excuses when in reality he doesn't like you, but can't seem to find a justifiable reason to fire you...

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Oh, he isn't my boss anymore. Hasn't been for about 12 years. I just thought it was funny, because he was all about conformity and still is... and cannot understand why his career stalled.

One thing I learned right out of school in 1998 -- if you want to win and get ahead, "going with the crowd" rarely gets you there.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Oh, he isn't my boss anymore. Hasn't been for about 12 years. I just thought it was funny, because he was all about conformity and still is... and cannot understand why his career stalled.

One thing I learned right out of school in 1998 -- if you want to win and get ahead, "going with the crowd" rarely gets you there.

But being hipster gets you bullied. It's a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Trying to find that middle sweet spot is a royal pain in the backside.

Oh, and not sure you've noticed, but I quoted you from another thread.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
When I was getting my windows phone. People around me either said wtf is windows phone or we better go have his head examined before he hurts himself. Now all I get is the same question. How is what you have better than mine?
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Pro tip: most people can't/don't think for themselves. 😎

Simply put...if you really find WP8 to be the superior platform, it's not hard to respond to fanboys of other ecosystems. I can honestly turn to friends who try to deride me, and say "it does everything I need, it does it better and faster, and on top of that it looks good."

Also there is a big lack of education going on here. Most people have never even seen it in action. I remember back with WP7 I was talking to my brother about music, I just pulled out my phone and started flicking around it showing him bands and stuff, he was staring at the phone and just said "WHOA, that looks awesome. What is it?" After I told him (he knew WP existed but not much more) he said if he hadn't already got an iPhone he'd have gotten one.

Even my dad who has bought into the iLifestyle in a BIG way was very impressed, and actually preferred the look and feel of the OS to his iPhone. He is very much a tech head however, and has a need for certain functionality which is simply not available on WP.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The majority of the comments i get are from android users and dont really have an ecosystem. Or at least it's poorly integrated.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

jsk0703

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I work in an enterprise that deploys Windows PCs for our workstations but for mobile solutions the iPhones and iPads dominate. Even our IT staff is largely carrying iPhones and MacBook Pros. I get some strange looks when I pull out the bright yellow 920. Most of the time people just ask how I'm liking Windows Phone. If anyone cracks a joke its usually about the # of apps or the WP market share being small. I do have some co-workers on my team that are talking about switching to WP8 once their iPhone contracts are up in a few months.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
If Windows Phone wants respect, it has to earn it. It's been around for 2 years and there's still a loooooooooooong list of things it can't do.

True. It doesn't crash, freeze, or lag anywhere near as often as Android. And its malware library, at a pathetic ZERO apps, is much smaller than Android's 35,000 malware apps.

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
True. It doesn't crash, freeze, or lag anywhere near as often as Android. And its malware library, at a pathetic ZERO apps, is much smaller than Android's 35,000 malware apps.
Well besides the trolling, you have to admit, Windows Phone still does less than iPhone. Microsoft should have realized this and brought Windows Phone to equal parity with iPhone at the very least if they expect the users and apps to roll in.

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Well besides the trolling, you have to admit, Windows Phone still does less than iPhone. Microsoft should have realized this and brought Windows Phone to equal parity with iPhone at the very least if they expect the users and apps to roll in.

First who decides what does less? If going just by usable apps, all other mobile systems fall behind the iPhone. I have said that out of the box before you install 1 app I think WP8 offers the most. The funny thing is that every survey and stat shows that iOS users spend a lot on apps/music/etc while loads of android devices don't have anything installed. Those are the people Msoft will be gaining market share from. iOS will always have 25% market share based on people invested in the ecosystem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans