Alternatives to Group Messaging on Verizon

toddro6

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Alright, so I have been scanning this forum for a while, and it seems everyone has different opinions on how to work around the issue of not having group texting on the 8x Verizon phones. I am coming from using a Blackberry, so I never had to think about it before now.

Here is my problem: My friends don't want to come to my Room. Basically, I don't want to inconvenience someone by inviting them to use an app when their iPhones have a legit group messaging service. Is there an app that uses my current phone number? I have seen a couple options like GroupMe and a couple others, but I think I would have had to send them a new phone number to use only for texting. Is this right or am I reading the app wrong? How do I make this easy?

Last edited:

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Let me ask this because I keep seeing this issue of group texting. When my family group texts me on an iphone, it sends the text or picture to everyone, and then when they reply, the reply comes back to everyone in the group. (I hate that, btw.) Is that what people want, or are people just wanting to send a text to a bunch of people and then get individual replies? Because you can just set up a group and then send an email or text to the whole group. Of course, when someone replies, it won't go to all the recipients.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
They want the replies to stay grouped, so replies go to all receipients. Think of it as "reply all" in email. It is great for coordinating via SMS.

toddro6

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Let me ask this because I keep seeing this issue of group texting. When my family group texts me on an iphone, it sends the text or picture to everyone, and then when they reply, the reply comes back to everyone in the group. (I hate that, btw.) Is that what people want, or are people just wanting to send a text to a bunch of people and then get individual replies? Because you can just set up a group and then send an email or text to the whole group. Of course, when someone replies, it won't go to all the recipients.

the former.

Like I said, I have looked at these other apps, but they all ask that my friends go out of their way, which not everyone is comfortable with. Is there an app that relates to my own phone number, but routes it through a MMS system?

Reason I am really asking is because of an article written on Gizmodo that makes it sound like nothing is ever going to be fixed...and Rooms are no bueno.

The Future of Texting Is a Mess

toddro6

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Seems that way for the time being. I hope Verizon sees the error in the way and makes the correction if enough people complain. I think I will be able to get by without it for the time being.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
What I don't get is that WP7 had this...I don't get the reasoning for removing it in WP8. Do their Android phones not support this either? Or is it something specific to MS?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately your only option is to pick up a trophy and use that from what I can tell. Either change phones or change carriers. If you can't do either, you're SOL.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett