How accurate is this list of things Windows Phone 8 can't do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
can't charge the phone while it's turned off without it turning on again
- Thats true. No reason to want it turned off though, is there?
no notification center
- Depends on what you mean by notification senter. I can see all my notifications at the push of a button.
no alternate web browsers
- Not true.
no alternate keyboards
- True
can't close apps from "multi task" screen
- Dont need to close apps from multi task screen, since its not a Windows XP device or a Maemo5/Meego device...
multi-tasking itself very weak compared to other platforms
- No, its about the same as other platforms, excluding maemo5/meego.
no text reflow in IE10
- This is true, and quite annoying.
FM radio support removed in WP8
- No idea, I dont think its on the 920 at least.
no orientation lock
- No, but then again it doesnt have as much orientationwobbling as android does either, so its a wash.
no custom notification sounds
- True
can't control ringtone and media volume separately
- True
no USB storage
- I can plug my phone to my computer and drag/drop files into folders. So... Id say this is false.
need to completely wipe your phone to change active live ID
- Yep
can't change font size in SMS app
- Unsure, I think theres a choice to set font size if youve got really bad eyesight or something in the settings, along with high contrast mode etc.
no decent system wide maps app
- Not true.
fragmented applications only available for Nokia phones
- No idea what this means.
can't keep WiFi alive while the phone is locked
- This is true.
no file explorer
- True
no voice assistant like Siri / Google Now
- I dont think thats true, but I dont know, since I dont talk to my ******* phone like a schizo :p .
no battery percentage unless you install an app for it
- Or check the settings.
no google talk / whatsapp/other IM integration into the messaging hub
- Not except for FB chat and probably MSN messenger iirc.
no smart dialing
- True, but theres apps for that if need be iirc.
can't disable auto rotate
- Really? We went over this allready.
no G+ support in people hub
- It doesnt have Socl support either I think?
still no custom colors for tiles
- "still"? No, but you can do a lot more with tiles than first assumed, using apps and creativity.
no gapless zune playback
- No Zune, so thats not really an issue.
can't set manual IP address / DNS
- Not sure about this, never ran into such a situation where I needed that.
no folders in apps list
- Not required due to difference in UI from Android/iOS.
no basic features ported to WP 7.8 (like data smart)
- No idea why WP7.8 is mentioned on this list, so Ill ignore this weird statement.
can't manually manage music / files on the device via your computer
- Covered this earlier, but yes you really can.
no FLAC support
- Possibly true, no idea.
can't block numbers
- No idea, I never had to block a number since I can press "hang up".
relatively low quantity of apps
- This is true, thats quite standard when a new system hits though. Hopefully the big names will come. Quantity isnt the real issue though, I dont see why we need 346 different Talking Tomcat apps and 12345235 apps that merely are links to websites. Whats needed are good versions of the big apps, like instagram and all that "oh i totally need instagram on mah phone, brah" jazz that people seem to require these days.
existing apps have a worse release cycle and almost always less features and support
- Worse than what? Ive gotten several updates to apps allready.
forced to market the platform with celebrities
- Hahahahaaaaaaahahaha really? Seen a movie WITHOUT an apple product lately? This is just idiotic. "forced to"... jesus christ...
random reboots with WP8 devices
- Some have that. That being said, thats also true for apples phones and phones running android. Theres always bad apples.
can't separate phone contacts from facebook contacts
- Sure it can, just... set it to hide facebook contacts.
chevron unlocker is dead in the water
- No idea what that is or why thats a bulletpoint. Ill take your word for it.
locked bootloader / no possibility for an alternate OS
- Like iOS? Yeah. Its a phone, not a laptop.
no linear screen brightness adjustment
- Okay?
no USB host
- It doesnt have built in faxmachine either. Seriously, USB-host? What is this, the 50s? Explain that oft-occuring situation to me where you need USB-host.
can't attach PDF files to an email
- Ive attached PDFs to emails, I think.

Look this list is ridicolous at best. You know it, we know it, etcetera.

Its like making a list against Android. Its piss easy.

- No devices with 60hz HD-whatever the 920 has
- No seamless FB chat integration with the standard messaging apps
- No screens useable with gloves
- Much harder to set up from out of the box
- Too many apps, hard to find quality apps
- Needs new launchers in order to work optimally
- Standard keyboard is bad and you need to get new ones for a price
- Android devices freeze/reset all the time
- No optic image stabilization on any device
- No device with built in wireless charging
- No lenses
- No Me-tile
- No PhotoBeamer

etc etc etc.

It makes no sense, but its still a list! fear the list! Iunno, its ridicolous.

How accurate it is? Id say Medium/Medium minus. Its hard to say, because some are true, and some are just INSANE.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I think he meant that there's no TRUE alternative browsers on Windows Phone and it's just a bunch of wrappers for IE10, just like on iPhone with Safari, which is true.

It's not just like iPhone with Safari. Apple doesn't allow any browser to download videos for offline viewing. They don't allow any Youtube app to download videos either. You have to jailbreak iOS for such functionality. In fact, I'm amazed at some of the apps Microsoft lets slide. People talk about things WP is lacking.... but let me tell you, iPhone is lacking some pretty hefty stuff themselves.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Here's a pic of the sets. I'm not crazy about any of The Hobbit Lego sets, but my boys are LOTR fiends right now, and we've already purchased all of the LOTR sets...

WP_20121206_003.jpg

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
That list is way too short. Given pretty much any electrical or mechanical device, you should be able to make an endless list of absent features. For example, the phone doesn't have the ability to levitate. Or more realistically, the phone is not waterproof. The absence of features in software is a time and/or money constraint, so the list of missing features should always be nearly infinite..

-E

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if Daniel likes Legos?

One thing I love about Daniel's videos (besides the information which is usually excellent) is that slightly sarcastic laugh he'll give when something is absurd. Like when he was talking about the battery meter live tile in double-wide form. Always cracks me up. I bet he gave that same laugh when he opened this thread...

edit: btw, some of the LOTR Lego sets are fantastic. Helm's Deep for instance. If you want my opinion on a great Lego set that's not mainstream, look for the Monster Fighter's Haunted Castle. Great minifigs, great price, great set.

Sheikmans

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Text reflow ie, check! Doubleclick to zoom and text is fit to the screen.
Smart dialer, check! Works the same as my previous HTC android devices.
Reboots, None after 2 weeks
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Sheikmans: no, doubletap to zoom and it zooms about 0.04% in and thats it. That happens on some sites. Especially various forums I visit.

Smart dialer isnt a "check" at all, it isnt included last time i checked.

Reboots... never had any myself, but people do have them. Course thats true with any device.

Sheikmans

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean then with smartdialer?? If I type a part of a name or number, a contact list appears
I definitely have,text reflow. Doubletap zooms in and rearrange text on most website. Exactly the same on my htc One x

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
everyones answer to your question was quite confusing let me clarify them which I will do by posting an answer for each of your enlightened observations:

-its not that you have to cut it back on "manually", that's the design of the system. It "automatically" cuts itself on

-this is how you depict a notification center, obviously you are messing android and iphone with WP...Wp's notification center are the tiles and the preset apps you allow to display your information on the lock screen. (note: when you set up everything you like to display information on lockscreen (five mini notifications + 1 large detailed from settings) you will find that it is easier than android because you don't necessarily have to do anything to view updates.

-this is completely false...there are many alternatives in the marketplace....you should have phrased it as, is opera, safari, chrome, etc in the marketplace, but there are definitely alternatives. (note: try 3D browser, by far the best)

-cant close apps) this is true, and your need to close them are unfounded....these so called "opened" apps are suspended, like suspended animation, they use no resource, e.g battery or cpu when they are suspended....phones are not laptops...

-multitasking is the same as in ios and Android....all three suspend apps...some apps run in the background like music player or navigation in the Lumia phones...Nokia drive is coming to all wp8 tho

-there is no text reflow yet...its coming with the next BIG update

-fm radio was removed and its pissed me off half to death

-true no orientation lock

-there are customization options just defaulted options, but true no other sounds can be implemented into the os yet for notifications

-true

-What do you mean usb storage? im guessing you mean mass storage and if so yes you can...you can store documents, videos, and music on your memory card

-yes you have to wipe your phone to change active id (ios is the same way) android I don't know but if it does not require you to wipe your phone...that will definitely lead to security issues

-yes you can change size of font, but it is system wide...from the settings menu>ease of access

-the default map app IS system wide, who isn't nowadays ( bing maps are really good) just no included VOICE navigation unless u have a lumia which the drive application is coming to all wp8 soon

-these are not what you call fragmented applications....fragmented would apply more to the same OS with varying OS numbers like Android, 3.0 usually don't run anything made for 4.1. This is an exclusivity thing to get you to buy their phone which is only an exclusive most of their exlusives apps are coming to wp8

-this is true with wifi alive...(fix is coming this month via Microsoft)

- well it is a file explorer but not on the phone,

-wp has Tell Me which is better in most cases....people think its not voice because Microsoft doesn't market it like others....one thing to consider tho is that wp8 is the first os to incorporate voice control with any app a developer incorporates it into....like audible, etc....it uses the native voice program unlike others

-battery percentage is in the battery settings...crude but its there

-whatsapp is there and other IM are there just not incorporated into the messaging hub

-you can try "people search" #1 or 7dialer...just replace your main call tile with one of these and does exactly what smart dial does...

-yes no good + support in people hub...this is mainly due to Google

-there are custom colors...you have 20 presets and you also have apps that let you create apps with functions....dial specific person...settings...Bluetooth...web...etc

-no gapless playblack/ true

-ip/ true

-there are no need for folders...wp list is not frustrating...you need folders for ios or android because of their UI...trust me it will all become clear once you give it time

-managing music via computer/on phone....this is false...you can manage music, manipulate or whatever from your pc directly on your phone

-true

-this is subjective....if over 120K is low then it is 4 u

-this is also subjective...what do you mean release cycle/ updating? most apps have regular updates once the developer pushes the update

-what does celebrities have to do with anything...u sounding kinda trollish

-you can block numbers....carrier block or app blocked but not natively blocked

-those reboots do affect some people and is due to a bug

-you can separate phone contacts from facebook contacts.....hit the settings options when you are in the people hub >filter my contact list or go to settings>applications>people and do the same thing

-chevron is dead...but that has nothing to do with wp8 performance or features that is a service so that is irrelevant

-all phones have a locked bootloader unless they specifically come out with it...such as developer edition...etc

-true about brightness/only if that meant an adjusting "slider"

-true

-true

-

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
A lengthy list, not totally accurate, but if those are the "big issues" WP8 has left then the gap between WP8 and the competition isn't as big as I thought. :)

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I was emailed this by a friend of mine. Thought I would run it by you guys.

fragmented applications only available for Nokia phones
no basic features ported to WP 7.8 (like data smart)
relatively low quantity of apps
existing apps have a worse release cycle and almost always less features and support
forced to market the platform with celebrities
random reboots with WP8 devices
chevron unlocker is dead in the water
locked bootloader / no possibility for an alternate OS

These are whines and not "missing features".

Sheikmans

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Does the lumia lacks IE text reflow?? I am really surprised to read that it not exists on some devices. It is available on Dutch HTX 8X, a feature I always use while browsing.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean then with smartdialer?? If I type a part of a name or number, a contact list appears
I definitely have,text reflow. Doubletap zooms in and rearrange text on most website. Exactly the same on my htc One x

Strange, I cannot confirm it atm, but IIRC when I used the dialer on my 920 and pressed 423 for instance, it wouldnt suggest anyone with a name starting with said letters or numbers starting with said numbers. Though I could be wrong!

Text wrapping probably works fine, it just hasnt on any website Ive visited so far :s .

anon(2255)

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
  • can't close apps from "multi task" screen
    • True
    • If you're coming from Android, you need let go of the idea of having to constantly manage your phone

No, people with Android have to let go of the fact that their phone isn't a Windows computer or Windows Mobile 6, and they don't need to manage their phone. Android hasn't needed a task manager since 2.1, and even then it was used incorrectly by 99.9% of the people using it.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Ive used Swype on several devices, and found it OK. I personally type far faster with Swiftkey X, but that might just be because Im used to it. And the 920 keyboard is about as fast and accurate as Swiftkey X for me. Could just be that since youre used to Swype, and need to adjust :) .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte