How does the browser compare to iPhone and s3 stock browsers?

palfor03

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I know all 7.5 are pretty slow but mostly because they are held back by single core. Your thoughts on ie 10 compared to the smartphone competition? I like graphic intensive sites like ign boards and having no opera browser is almost a deal breaker for me.

JammyGitz

Banned
Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Opera browser was TERRIBLE on the iPhone. IE 10 has no forward button and the back button is pretty limited. Other than that it's pretty good

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
For a stock browser it isn't bad. Never used an iPhone and Android stock wasn't very good. However, with Android, there were some very nice 3rd party browsers that blew em all away. We'll never have that with our phones. So we need to put pressure on MS to improve IE and add features.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I heard it cant display the mobile version of gmail and facebook correctly? if that's true then WOW....

I don't know about Facebook, but the issues with Google could be resolved by the flick of a switch in 10 minutes, which google won't do, as they are happy to serve up low quality HTML when they detect a connection to a WP mobile browser. Mobile IE10 is not at fault here, it just can't do much about it. Google is just being a jerk.

Last edited:

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
A lot of browser "incompatibility" in IE10 Mobile comes from the website not dealing with it correctly. As soon as the website detects the following things:

-it's a mobile device;
-it's not iPhone or Android;

it serves up a WAP version circa 2005. Pretty awful. The best thing to do would be to complain on the feedback section of the website. (In Google's case, you'll get nowhere, as they're jerks.)

I'm actually more and more enjoying the desktop setting on my 8X. It handles intensive sites pretty well, and looks great on that screen.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about Facebook, but the issues with Google could be resolved by the flick of a switch in 10 minutes, which google won't do, as they are happy to serve up low quality HTML when they detect a connection to a WP mobile browser. Mobile IE10 is not at fault here, it just can't do much about it. Google is just being a jerk.
so google is going out of its way to do this to Internet Explorer? Yet their mobile website opens perfectly find on every single Android browser, iPad, iPhone, BlackBerry etc etc? Give me a break. I'm sure it's some screwup in Internet Explorer. People don't hate IE for no reason you know. It's because of crap like this.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
so google is going out of its way to do this to Internet Explorer? Yet their mobile website opens perfectly find on every single Android browser, iPad, iPhone, BlackBerry etc etc? Give me a break. I'm sure it's some screwup in Internet Explorer. People don't hate IE for no reason you know. It's because of crap like this.

I can't give you a break because it's true. I've flicked that switch for a few companies personally. It's not that Google is going out of their way to screw IE10, it's that they aren't taking the quick and simple steps required to support non-webkit based browsers. As you yourself prove, Google's approach works, as people will jump to blame Microsoft instead of those entities that deserve the blame. StevesBalls and Shinygerbil have said the same things with different words.

Engr_Princess

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Here are my pet peeves with EI10 after coming from IPhone:
-it does not remember my zoom range when my phone changes orientation by accident.
-no forward button
-the backward button sometimes will take you to the start screen if you happen to try to multitask and then go back to IE (so frustrating)
-no orientation lock
-no options to show search results by most recent. This I loved with Google. I could get the latest news on Nokia Lumia 920 but with IE, I get the same reviews pop up that I have already seen.
-Facebook mobile is horrible and the desktop Facebook chat buttons are very hard to press so its impossible to turn off my chat!

It becomes a bit frustrating to use and these are very simple fixes that makes me feel that Microsoft is just so out of touch with its users. IE can be great if they only listened to us! I am now anti Google due to the crap they put out for windows phone so I am really hoping IE improves ASAP :)

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The lack of "proper" forward and backwards button is sometimes a bit meh and then some pages working a bit weird (due to reasons given), but other than those I'm really happy with mobile IE10. I used to hate desktop IE, but IE10 there as well is so drastically improved, that I saw no reason to download firefox anymore.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I can't give you a break because it's true. I've flicked that switch for a few companies personally. It's not that Google is going out of their way to screw IE10, it's that they aren't taking the quick and simple steps required to support non-webkit based browsers. As you yourself prove, Google's approach works, as people will jump to blame Microsoft instead of those entities that deserve the blame. StevesBalls and Shinygerbil have said the same things with different words.
So IE doesn't support webkit and that is somehow Google's fault? How about making your 'new' browser compatible with webkit that something, you know, almost the entire internet uses in some way or another?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
So IE doesn't support webkit and that is somehow Google's fault? How about making your 'new' browser compatible with webkit that something, you know, almost the entire internet uses in some way or another?

You obviously don't really understand what you are talking about. IE10 is compatible with webkit these days. Ten years ago that wasn't so, and the current treatment of IE is simply a relic from days long past.

I'm not saying everything is fine and dandy with Mobile IE10 (I agree with Engr_Princess). But the situation with Google search is completely unnecessary.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site

1. IE uses a different browsing engine. So does Opera. Only Safari, Firefox and Chrome (as far as the main browsers are concerned) use WebKit for the browsing engine. That's just how it is, and I've never had issues in the past with Opera Mobile or Opera Mini - granted, this may have changed over the past two or three years.

2. You can't just toggle a setting to make a browser use a different engine. It simply doesn't work that way.

3. And no, it isn't Microsoft's job to make web sites recognize IE10. It's sheer laziness or hostility on the part of web developers when a site isn't compatible with a non-Webkit browser.

tor landeel

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
A lot of browser "incompatibility" in IE10 Mobile comes from the website not dealing with it correctly. As soon as the website detects the following things:

-it's a mobile device;
-it's not iPhone or Android;

it serves up a WAP version circa 2005. Pretty awful. The best thing to do would be to complain on the feedback section of the website. (In Google's case, you'll get nowhere, as they're jerks.)

I'm actually more and more enjoying the desktop setting on my 8X. It handles intensive sites pretty well, and looks great on that screen.

You may find this little app very userful then!!
User Agent Switcher | Store di app e giochi per Windows Phone (Italia)
You can fake your browser, and make the sites think you're on an Iphone ;)

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
You obviously don't really understand what you are talking about. IE10 is compatible with webkit these days. Ten years ago that wasn't so, and the current treatment of IE is simply a relic from days long past.

I'm not saying everything is fine and dandy with Mobile IE10 (I agree with Engr_Princess). But the situation with Google search is completely unnecessary.
You think its just google only? There are a lot of other websites that have the same issue. I don't remember it all but I saw it in a brief list I read in a review

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
You think its just google only? There are a lot of other websites that have the same issue. I don't remember it all but I saw it in a brief list I read in a review

I never said it was just Google. Google just owns the highest profile website experiencing this problem. Furthermore, in contrast to many other webmasters in smaller companies which are simply ignorant and would flip that switch in an instant if told about it, Google's knows better and their behaviour is deliberate.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I never said it was just Google. Google just owns the highest profile website experiencing this problem. Furthermore, in contrast to many other webmasters in smaller companies which are simply ignorant and would flip that switch in an instant if told about it, Google's knows better and their behaviour is deliberate.
So tell me who is the loser in the end? It's the customer. Google can run its platform anyway it likes, it DOES NOT depend on Windows Phone. But a lot of Windows Phone users do depend on Google services. So would it kill Microsoft to do whatever needs to be done to make these websites open the same way they do in all other browsers?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I limit myself in exposure to Google services because by in large they are rubbish. use the built in Gmail on your phone would be my suggestion because they aren't going to do you any favors.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro