Just a thought about how MS MIGHT have messed up a bit.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Okay, let's go through your list:

Phone backups - The implemented solution is half-assed and pales in comparison to the iOS backup.
Smaller tiles - Yes, they delivered this. Well, at least for WP8. How about those loyal WP7 users?
Digital wallet - Again, like backups this is a great idea in theory, but in reality dosn't work as it should.
NFC - Eh, who desired that?
Higher screen resolutions - This was long overdue.
OTA updates - Same, plus we still don't know how it will work out in reality. Remember we were promised WP7 updates without carrier intervention too. And we all know how that worked out.
Sending videos via text - Again, this should have been there a long time ago. And there are better ways how to share videos today.
Skype - Yeah, we got that. But in what state?
Improved Office experience - Okay, this one really is important, I'll give you that.
Bluetooth file sharing - Want me to list all the Bluetooth related issues in WP8? And again, what's the excuse for this not being there a loong time ago anyway?
Improved calendaring - The calendar still sucks
Easier ringtone creation - This still sucks too.
Browsing the phone file system - Long overdue and most people (regular people, not tech geeks) don't really care about this anyway.
Backing up messages - We've already had this one
Subscribing to podcasts on phone - Oh yeah, podcast. How's that working out for everybody?

So most of your points were either long overdue or are over-hyped. I'd trade all of those for a notification center, for example. Or a Wi-Fi connection that doesn't go to sleep (how fraking difficult can that be??). Or the gazillion other things that are missing or broken in WP.

Edit: aubreyq already addressed some of those, so kudos to him.

All exactly as I stated before, they were delivered but not to your specification. I know things are broken and don't work as well as they should, I doubt anyone is a ****** enough to ignore the issues.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Clever that you included "in varying quality", but the stuff I bolded wasn't exactly delivered per se. For example, subcribing to podcasts on phone was available in WP7. Improved calendaring? Are you serious? Daniel Rubino chuckled when he did the WP8 OS video demo, stating no changes to the calendar. Also, can you actually browse the phone file system? All you have access to is multimedia folders and not much else (fine by me, btw). OTA updates hasn't received a "real world" test yet. Skype wasn't ready for prime time at launch. How did making ringtones get easier with WP8? I know Nokia has a new ringtone creation app, but that's not an OS feature. BTW, saying "there's a ton of work to be done" doesn't speak favorably of the platform.

Full disclosure: I love WP and will be moving to WP8. My point is that WP8 wasn't ready when it launched. I think too much weight was put on launching W8 and WP8 at the same time at the expense of the end users. But that is the Microsoft we all know and love. Just launch and patch. Launch and patch.

That's pretty much what happens with all phones. Android and Apple are constantly releasing updates.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Okay, let's go through your list:

Phone backups - The implemented solution is half-assed and pales in comparison to the iOS backup.
Smaller tiles - Yes, they delivered this. Well, at least for WP8. How about those loyal WP7 users?
Digital wallet - Again, like backups this is a great idea in theory, but in reality dosn't work as it should.
NFC - Eh, who desired that?
Higher screen resolutions - This was long overdue.
OTA updates - Same, plus we still don't know how it will work out in reality. Remember we were promised WP7 updates without carrier intervention too. And we all know how that worked out.
Sending videos via text - Again, this should have been there a long time ago. And there are better ways how to share videos today.
Skype - Yeah, we got that. But in what state?
Improved Office experience - Okay, this one really is important, I'll give you that.
Bluetooth file sharing - Want me to list all the Bluetooth related issues in WP8? And again, what's the excuse for this not being there a loong time ago anyway?
Improved calendaring - Not, it still sucks
Easier ringtone creation - This still sucks too.
Browsing the phone file system - Long overdue and most people (regular people, not tech geeks) don't really care about this anyway.
Backing up messages - We've already had this one
Subscribing to podcasts on phone - Oh yeah, podcast. How's that working out for everybody?

So most of your points were either long overdue or are over-hyped. I'd trade all of those for a notification center, for example. Or a Wi-Fi connection that doesn't go to sleep (how fraking difficult can that be??). Or the gazillion other things that are missing or broken in WP.

Edit: aubreyq already addressed some of those, so kudos to him.

Simple decision for you then, just go to your OS of choice. No need to come here and whine about what you think are WP short comings. Each phone platform has issues. I left iOS and Android because I didn't like them, but you don't see me posting in their forums about why I thought their phones sucked. Because if I did, I would be a whiny little troll.

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Simple decision for you then, just go to your OS of choice. No need to come here and whine about what you think are WP short comings. Each phone platform has issues. I left iOS and Android because I didn't like them, but you don't see me posting in their forums about why I thought their phones sucked. Because if I did, I would be a whiny little troll.

I have the same right to come here and whine as you do to come here and be in denial about its shortcomings. No need to send anybody anywhere. It's cool that you are happy with WP but that does not mean I have to be too.

And you know, I'm not whining, I'm trying to actually USE the phone. It's just that in some areas it won't let me.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Just because you point out flaws in something doesnt mean youre a whiny little troll, it just means "hey, lookit: is broken". Thats all.

Why are people so damn defensive.

I LOVE WP8, its by far my favourite phone OS atm. But to deny that it has some issues is just absurd. None of the issues affect me, thats why Im happy with WP8. I dont have any app-depencencies, I dont need this podcast stuff whatever the problem may be there, I dont need a notification centre as the homescreen livetiles are enough for me, and so on and so forth.

However, I do with they get that notification centre and implement it well. I do hope they get the market up and running really fast with quality apps. I want the podcast thing to be worked out.
Why? Because I want to see WP8 grow. I want it to be a success.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Everyone has the right to be happy or unhappy with their phone. Unfortunately they also have the right to crap on every thread they see fit in the guise of truth.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have no denial about it's shortcomings, as I even said in my message 'Each phone platform has issues'.

But I also have no denial about shortcomings of other phone OSs. And I know WP8 with its shortcomings is still a much better phone to me by far over Android or iPhone. If it isn't for you then you should just switch to the platform you enjoy the most.

But as you said in your last sentence, you do have the right to be unhappy and come here and whine. Sounds like a very sad life though, I hope things get better for you.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't want people to stop complaining, it's important for Microsoft to hear the issues, and they do watch major forums like these. The reason you got some of those improvements from WP7 to WP8 was because people complained.

There are more constructive ways to complain, of course, but that's up to the individual.

As for ******, the label doesn't bother me, but honestly I'd love to have my 8x and a Galaxy SIII to play with if I could just swap my sim card back and forth or copy a sim to use both phones. iPhone? meh.

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't want people to stop complaining, it's important for Microsoft to hear the issues, and they do watch major forums like these. The reason you got some of those improvements from WP7 to WP8 was because people complained.

There are more constructive ways to complain, of course, but that's up to the individual.

As for ******, the label doesn't bother me, but honestly I'd love to have my 8x and a Galaxy SIII to play with if I could just swap my sim card back and forth or copy a sim to use both phones. iPhone? meh.

Thank you for that, I officially take back my "******" title from you. :)

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Just because you point out flaws in something doesnt mean youre a whiny little troll, it just means "hey, lookit: is broken". Thats all.

Why are people so damn defensive.

I LOVE WP8, its by far my favourite phone OS atm. But to deny that it has some issues is just absurd. None of the issues affect me, thats why Im happy with WP8. I dont have any app-depencencies, I dont need this podcast stuff whatever the problem may be there, I dont need a notification centre as the homescreen livetiles are enough for me, and so on and so forth.

However, I do with they get that notification centre and implement it well. I do hope they get the market up and running really fast with quality apps. I want the podcast thing to be worked out.
Why? Because I want to see WP8 grow. I want it to be a success.

I really don't know if many people in here are denying anything. In fact, I think most people are saying they recognize the issues, but even with those issues they feel WP8 is better than the iPhone or Android.

As for people being defensive, I think with the number of trolls in the WP forums people are just getting a little tired of the same posts (not implying the OP is a troll). As shinygerbil said, there are probably already a dozen of these same topics, why create a another one, unless you're just trying to stir the pot?

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
People mostly start new threads because they feel they illuminate the subjectmatter in a different way or theyre (this is more likely) just too lazy to check if theres a similiar thread.

Its not always because theyre evil moustachetwirling blackhats :) .

I get where youre coming from, tho.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
You'd need some magic Apple sauce to spin that into a positive.

An indication of success would be if you announced that you sold 5 million phones in the first weekend. When you don't have that then you come up with vague statements about 100% increased app sales revenue and sales of phones four times higher than the last year.

I thought we were talking about success of the OS from a functionality perspective. Success from a sales perspective may involve more "quirky" commercials with music as bland as the advertised device's UI, to the point that its down to just two repeating notes during the entire 15 second spot... at least if we took from the lessons of the industry leader.

-E

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I thought we were talking about success of the OS from a functionality perspective. Success from a sales perspective may involve more "quirky" commercials with music as bland as the advertised device's UI, to the point that its down to just two repeating notes during the entire 15 second spot... at least if we took from the lessons of the industry leader.

-E

From a functionality perspective WP is inferior to both iOS and Android.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I hate that word inferior. Lol. In my mind it always implies not just lesser, but lesser by a lot. That's just how I've seen it used here.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12