sad proof wp isn't for everyone

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
At the end of the day, people are gonna like the products they like. I don't know why you would want everyone to in the first place or even waste your time trying. I certainly don't need my wife to have the same phone as me. She's a grown woman. She can use whatever makes her happy. We're a married couple, not Siamese twins
Makes it easier to share our lives if we're living in the same ecosystem! Did I really just say that?!? ;-)

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
At the end of the day, people are gonna like the products they like. I don't know why you would want everyone to in the first place or even waste your time trying. I certainly don't need my wife to have the same phone as me. She's a grown woman. She can use whatever makes her happy. We're a married couple, not Siamese twins

I agree to an extent. However, in the case of the iPhone, I don't. I wouldn't want a girlfriend or wife who so blindly followed whatever went on in that walled-off garden of poor hardware. I simply couldn't let her pay $200 for a 2012 phone missing 2010 specs (like NFC and an HD screen).

That, and I just abhor Apple.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree to an extent. However, in the case of the iPhone, I don't. I wouldn't want a girlfriend or wife who so blindly followed whatever went on in that walled-off garden of poor hardware. I simply couldn't let her pay $200 for a 2012 phone missing 2010 specs (like NFC and an HD screen).

don't hate, appreciate!!

Sent from my HTC Titan 2 using Board Express

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
First off, there is no such thing as one phone that will please everyone. No matter how hard Apple tried, they couldn't get us all onto that one device. Hey, they couldn't even do it with TWO! Black AND white and they couldn't take over the world! Seriously, Windows Phone isn't the "fruit" that everyone desires. We NEED people who like Apples in this world, because without competition there will be no innovation. Yes, I give some of my fruit-loving friends a hard time, but not if they've given Windows Phone an honest look. It's not for everyone. Just like Apple isn't for me. And I'm not even going to get into why I try to convince all of my friends that Android is a hot mess (which isn't hard to do, since I'm the computer geek they all look up to).

Really, though, don't be upset that your wife doesn't like the greatest phone OS that ever was. It could be worse....

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

I don't agree with this regarding Apple. The lass I'm hoping to get with, she has iPad, iMac, iPhone, and MacBook Pro. For her, this is no longer a single device proposition, but this is the full Apple ecosystem. She probably has an Apple TV too. I have no plans to get her off Apple. After all, not only does it foster a bit of rivalry, but she does also use Windows 8. People will like the products they like, even if it's that fruit that keeps the doctor away (and yes, it does keep the doctor away for me too, the MacBook Pro I have is beautifully stable on both Windows 8 and Mac OS). I however prefer Windows Phone, and the MS ecosystem in general. She understands and respects that too.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I used to think there should be a way to set a background picture on the start screen, but you wouldn't be able to see it unless you swiped to to the full list of apps. What I found, is that having the picture tile visible when the start screen is scrolled to the top makes for a better picture experience... And don't forget to tag some pics as favorites so it doesn't rotate through all of your pics, just the ones you want!

tgallipeau

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My wife took her 920 back also, she just could not function without Instagram. There were some other apps as well but Instagram was the big one. She went back to her old iPhone 4 and is waiting to see what happens.

I like my 920, but I do admit I use a phone much differently than my wife. I think this release has been a bit of a beta test and am frustrated that MS hasn't done more to make the phone better. While I like the OS and Nokia hardware (and the $100 hardware cost), I just wish core functionality and things that MS touts as being ready worked better. Syncing was a nightmare, and Xbox music is half-baked at best (as much as I like the core functionality).

But the big reason most people will leave is the ecosystem as much as MS touts is as being ready, is lacking some expected apps. Instagram being one, and the strange MS developed Facebook being another. I won't even discuss the way Skype currently functions. I just hope MS gets it together, because like it or not I'm on this phone for 2 years now.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Different people like different phone OSes, and they all do certain things VERY well.

I never understood bullying people over their personal preferences for phone OSes. BlackBerry will always dominate for messaging -- period. iOS has lots and lots of games and "pass the time" apps. Windows Phone is fluid and fast. And Android has the most comprehensive malware ecosystem and most advanced crash/lag/freeze capabilities of any mobile OS out there. :winktongue:

dameon_03

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
i showed my wife my phone and she kinda likes it. she has a gsIII and when i showed her how to wireless charging worked she wanted to know if her phone had it. she also commented on how nice the camera on the 920 is. but at the same time, right now i would not recommend wp8 to her simply because she uses a slew of apps some i never heard of that i know likely arent in the wp marketplace. she asked me why i switched when i told her about the apps. coming from android i didnt use a lot of apps and the apps i did use either wp has a solution for or i dont care if i have the app replaced or not because if i wanna really use the app i'll just pull out my dell streak and use that app which hasnt happened yet. only reason i still use my dell streak is because of the screen size and all the pdfs i have on the phone

TheQualicSelf

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
MS should really allow picture backgrounds on the homescreen for wp8, not that I'd use it. You just get a load of people who for some reason that's the only thing which matters on a phone.
I suggested wp8 to my friend, she bought an Xperia T instead because she wanted a picture and fairy lights...

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I repair and operate Boilers, and the inspector we have owns his own company that operates nationwide. He has really built a fantastic little enterprise. When he first got into inspections and was trying to get new accounts, he decided to try and one-up established inspection teams with a new way to bid on jobs. I will not bore anyone with the details, but basically he said that he lost a TON of clients due to the way he did this, but at the same time he became a unique option to other companies that were open to something new.

His point? It is better to fail on your own terms then to try and succeed by copying other established ways of doing things, especially if you have an idea you think is better. That is MS right now. Not only are they changing their own culture, but they are challenging the established, successful ones. That some people HATE the new Modern UI is a sign of that. They could have limped along with the same old systems, but over the last couple years they decided to roll the dice. MS will fail or succeed doing something risky, and I respect that. The new UI is exactly why I feel it may never be #1 in mobile OS's. Too many people don't like it, it is not what they are used to or are comfortable with. But, I also feel that is why it will be successful: Some of us are open to new ways of doing things. In a few years, I could see it being dead tied with Apple for #2 so long as enough people roll the dice on it in 2013 to give it a chance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire