sad proof wp isn't for everyone

mjperez100

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
i personally love it, had an arrive since it launched and am now a happy owner of a white L920. roughly 6 months ago, my wife accidentally dropped her evo shift in the toilet and it was pretty much dead. i saw it as a great opportunity to get her on board the wp train and got her an arrive as well. im sad to report she pretty much hated the experience every day she owned it. the phone worked fine, i showed her all the benefits of the bulilt in apps, live tiles...the whole shebang. why did she hate it? its probably the stupidest reason out there...she couldn't apply her own background picture and thought the "squares" were ugly and boring (apparently the lock screen background wasn't enough). when i got my 920, i got her a onex and she's happy again.

just goes to show how what's great for someone might just be someone else' nightmare. any of you have similar experiences?

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Nothing sad about it. It doesn't float her boat.

There is a saying used in product development and software development circles. Its universal actually. "If your gonna fail, fail early". At least she was able to identify early on she would not like WP8 platform.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar experience with my wife. I purchased a Lumia 900 on the Monday after the Easter Sunday launch but decided I wanted a Titan 2 about a month later. So I bought a Titan 2 and before I sold the 900 on ebay I convinced my wife to give up the iphone 4s and try the Lumia 900. HATED IT. She didn't last 72 hours. Sold the Lumia on ebay.

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
This pretty much sums up Windows Phone, or indeed any competing OS. "Either it's the one for you, or it isn't."

Having said that...complaining that the Start Screen is ugly? OK, that's your opinion. But honestly, how long do you spend looking at the Start screen? It's just that - the start of whatever else you do. I don't sit and stare at my Start Menu on my desktop, nor do I stare at the Start screen (much ;P) as it's a means to an end. It opens my apps, it shows all the notifications I care about.

Interestingly, it's quite common for me to see other iPhone users while on the commute to/from work, and it's amazing how many of them just do this:

-Unlock the phone
-Stare at the app icons
-Swipe randomly back and forth between pages
-Open and close random folders
-Lock the phone again

Sure, I do that with my phone, but it takes about 2 seconds and serves a purpose. It's like they are thinking "I have this awesome expensive phone, I'd better make the most of it? ....oh well there's nothing I really wanna do right now. But look how beautiful and awesome it is! It's worth the price, honest!"

diapers

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Well don't force completely different phones on people. If anyone gave me an iphone I would hate it too. My fiance and tried my samsung focus when hey ip4 died, she tried it for a couple of days.. eventually got a replacement ip4. She's been using that thing for years, it would be foolish for me to think she would instantly love it.

mjperez100

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
she was all for it and seemed to like my phone. its when she had it as her daily driver that she realized it wasn't for her. ah well, can't win em all. whats funny is that when it comes to taking a seemingly important pictures she always tells me to whip out my 920.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
i just let people carry whatever they want, then when I am with them out and about I consisently make them look like fools by doing everything faster on my phone. Pisses them off so bad that the phone they "like" is so cumbersome and stupid when it comes to UI design. It's #Smokedbywindowsphone all day long when I'm around.

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm... I just received a red HTC 8x and spent a 1/2 hour getting it set up and contacts migrated to it from her Android phone. Left it for here when I went to work this morning and now I'm wondering how its going for her. Hopefully not to bad before I can "train" and sell her on it when I get home tonight. I think she'll be fine, but I guess you never know. She's not on Facebook (yet) and I was thinking to myself how much she'll be missing of the benefits of WP platform without any need for social integration.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Got my wife switched over to WP last summer. She's adapted to it just fine. Will try to figure out things herself before asking for help. Ya'll just need new wives! ;)

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I think it has something to do with how different WP is. We all know people generally don't like change. I was with a friend of mine to pick up a new iPhone 5. He didn't want the iPhone but was told he had to get it for his line of work. I showed him the lumia 920 just to show him what it looked like. As soon as he woke the phone up and aw the tiles he said "woah, I don't like this" I looked at him like he was an idiot and ran him through the OS real quick and he just wasn't interested. He was uninterested because it was different. He was coming from a black berry and didn't like ios either but it is growing on him as a result of him feeling like he is stuck with it. I believe those who do not like WP don't like it because it's just too different for them to initially adjust to.

Banner18

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
My wife's view is whatever I have she wants....she knows I will push it to it's limits and she will benefit from it...

We have moved from the Blackberry (8830, Storm) to android (Hero, Moment, Evo, GSII) to WP (900, 920), and toss in Zune (80, 120, and HD) and she has faithfully followed.

We are now in love with the ecosystem. 2 920s, 3 xbox 360s, 1 Windows Home Server 2011, 3 Windows 8 PCs, 2 Surfaces, Xbox live and Xbox Music Pass...

I can honestly say that you are missing out if you dont buy in 100%. There is a lot to like in WP8 by itself, but it takes it to a whole new level if you have all the devices/services...

Thankfully my wife gets it and helps me spread the word ;)....

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm already on my 4th wife!!!!
Got my wife switched over to WP last summer. She's adapted to it just fine. Will try to figure out things herself before asking for help. Ya'll just need new wives! ;)

Sent from my Blue AT&T 8x using Board Xpress

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
At the end of the day, people are gonna like the products they like. I don't know why you would want everyone to in the first place or even waste your time trying. I certainly don't need my wife to have the same phone as me. She's a grown woman. She can use whatever makes her happy. We're a married couple, not Siamese twins

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)