Why you no have sd slot?

gar216

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
2gb? Damn, what does the 8x have? 8gb or 16gb or something?

You should store things in the cloud more :s .

Cloud storage is a great added feature and amazing for documents, but it misses by a mile when it comes to photos and music because data isn't unlimited anymore.

Music is the culprit here and streaming your entire music collection on the go will eat through the average data plan in no time.

gar216

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
If you look at Nokia's line-up, the differences between the "top of the range" device and the first "lower end device" with an SD slot are few. You lose .7mp and PureView in the camera, replaced with an in-all-other-aspects-exactly-the-same Carl Zeiss powered 8mp camera, and you get a smaller, lower-resolution yet still awesome PureBlack AMOLED 800x480 display (which is way better than the non-Retina iPhone displays on the 3GS and before). In all other respects, it's the same phone.

So while the 820 isn't the "top of the range" devices, I certainly wouldn't consider it a "lower end device".

This guy is making me mad enough to bite my own teeth. He just compared the screen of a phone that came out a month ago to a screen that came out in 2009.

Having a screen that beats the iphone3gs isn't a plus today... Its a requirement. It also has a better screen than an etch-a-sketch but there is a reason Nokia doesn't go around touting that fact

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
This guy is making me mad enough to bite my own teeth. He just compared the screen of a phone that came out a month ago to a screen that came out in 2009.

Having a screen that beats the iphone3gs isn't a plus today... Its a requirement. It also has a better screen than an etch-a-sketch but there is a reason Nokia doesn't go around touting that fact

You probably need anger management classes if you're getting mad about phone screens. :wink:

Heck, I used the 4S for about a year and there is really nothing special about that screen. The 820/822 would probably be 'retina' if they crammed it down to a teeny tiny 3.5". No way in a million years I would go back to such a small screen, even the 5 is an inferior screen at only 4". I've only ever gotten the high end phones and I'm STILL blown away by the 822.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This guy is making me mad enough to bite my own teeth.

Take a chill pill. Go outside, enjoy the fresh air, get away from computers and smartphones for a while. You're wound too tight.

He just compared the screen of a phone that came out a month ago to a screen that came out in 2009.

Doesn't matter when it came out, the iPhone's "retina display" is the yardstick by which almost all other displays are measured in the industry today. Referencing the 3GS - Apple's last NON "retina display" smartphone - is just a way to use a benchmark people are familiar with. Ye gads.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
If you look at Nokia's line-up, the differences between the "top of the range" device and the first "lower end device" with an SD slot are few. You lose .7mp and PureView in the camera, replaced with an in-all-other-aspects-exactly-the-same Carl Zeiss powered 8mp camera, and you get a smaller, lower-resolution yet still awesome PureBlack AMOLED 800x480 display (which is way better than the non-Retina iPhone displays on the 3GS and before). In all other respects, it's the same phone.

So while the 820 isn't the "top of the range" devices, I certainly wouldn't consider it a "lower end device".

The Nokia 510, 610 and Asha series are the lower end devices. I'd call the 820 firmly mid-range.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
BTW SD card slots are fine, but you can't run apps off them. I'd rather have more built-in memory if you're going to make me choose one or the other. The Lumia 920 is the obvious choice here IMO. At 32 GB I am NEVER going to wish I had an SD card slot. I didn't even use up the 16 GB on my Lumia 900.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's a good point, about not running apps from the SD card.

That said, I think I've installed all of 3 apps above and beyond the stock apps (I had more but I uninstalled Twitter and Facebook in favor of the built-in integration.) So I don't need a lot of "app space", the 8gb in my 820 serves me fine. Media space, on the other hand, I both want and need. :)

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I was checking my storage the other day and saw I had 13 gb free. My first thought was, "Dang I'm glad I don't have 16gb..."

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Not sure where pictures came into the equation. My concern for storage is about my 30+ gigs worth of music.

Ah thats another situation alltogether, if you need 30gigs of music on the phone, choosing a phone with 16gig and no SD card might be a bad choice. As such I just assumed this was space that was used during normal use, such as downloading apps and taking video/pictures.

As far as WiFi connections go, my wife works for a university. We have an apartment on campus provided to us as part of her contract. So we have the schools WiFi access. Problem is it doesn't stay connected. You have to keep connecting which is very inconvenient. My work has WiFi. But I'm usually too busy to use it for anything other than quick emailing. And I don't frequent coffee shops except to grab a coffee or eat lunch. I'll use data to upload the a photo or two. And now that I'm on a shared plan, streaming is definitely not an option. If I'd could afford it, I would love to rely on the cloud. Its just more economically better to just dump all my music onto the phone and listen to it when I please

Yeah as said, I wasnt thinking about storing music :) .

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
That doesn't really relate does it. The Bugatti Veyron still has doors and a hood! Down to 2GB on my 8x now and who knows what I'm going to need with updates and the like?!?

Yeah. But, you sacrifice trunk/boot space in the Veyron. You ain't getting more than a small suitcase or a set of golf clubs in that bad boy.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. But, you sacrifice trunk/boot space in the Veyron. You ain't getting more than a small suitcase or a set of golf clubs in that bad boy.
luckily, the Lumia 920 is no veryon, though they are coming out with a sedan version, soon.

At any rate, think of the Lumia 920 as the Acura TL - thoughtfully done, several great and unique features, but it just isn't for everyone, and at times, it lacks a few of the other advanced features appearing in its class. I'd say NO phone has reached the 7 series, S class, Lexus LS level, yet, much less supercar territory... If any of that remotely approaches legible sense.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Put me in the camp that wishes my 920 had an SD slot. I have 1.1GB of space left, and I REALLY wish I had more. I have a buttload of videos for my kids, and 14GB of music. I take lots of photos of my kids, and taking HD video eats up space REALLY REALLY FAST, way more than my skydrive can handle. I travel for work a lot (requiring roaming) so I load a lot of maps, and store Nokia mix radio. There are legitmate needs for lots of storage space. I'd do anything to put in a 64GB card.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
2 Gb? I have 1.5 Gb LOL on a "16Gb" model. Doesn't bother me though, as I will just delete songs that I don't listen to. And any films I want to watch can be transferred and removed in rotation.

Exactly Morph. My sentiments 1000%!! I have months worth of music at home. I don't need it on my phone all at once. Even with my old school XP PC, I find it convenient to swap out tracks, albums and what not, depending on my mood. About 5 minutes for 2 days worth of music. I do stream a lot too (I am in lust, no love, with Soundcloud!!). Pics, throw on skydrive, a lot of bids and music can go there too. I've over 3.5gb on my setup and I have more apps, games and music than I need. I personally am cool with a 16gb phone. But, that's me.

Happy Holidays!!!!

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
lol @ 30+ gigs of music

That said. Huh!! A 60 minute walk to work takes a good 40-60mb house mix. I don't know. But then, what I deem a requirement, to another might be fluff. Who am I to judge.

My advice is, if you need all that space, grab an 810, 820 or 822, or even 610 if your into Nokia. The 8S if HTC. Or hold out for Sammy's ATIV. They all seem to be solid devices. If you're within your exchange timeframe, take another option for a test drive. What could you possibly have to lose??

If you need to haul plywood, concrete, tools and guys, you're not going to buy a Corvette, Harley, Bugatti or Porsche. You're getting a big truck. On the other hand, if you can make good with that something swift, sleek, sexy, that's just mmmm, the former is for you. I love my 8X for said reasons!! But, its "ride" is right for me.

All said, I'm loving that we DO have all these options with WP8. And its a testament to the platform that there's these "problems".

Happy Holiday!;

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Put me in the camp that wishes my 920 had an SD slot. I have 1.1GB of space left, and I REALLY wish I had more. I have a buttload of videos for my kids, and 14GB of music. I take lots of photos of my kids, and taking HD video eats up space REALLY REALLY FAST, way more than my skydrive can handle. I travel for work a lot (requiring roaming) so I load a lot of maps, and store Nokia mix radio. There are legitmate needs for lots of storage space. I'd do anything to put in a 64GB card.

Sounds like you need a tablet w/ 128Gb of storage.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss