Deleting across Camera Roll (on device/skydrive)

D2

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Now I love the whole photos you take are automatically uploaded to Skydrive, I think it's a great feature and is really useful to be able to access your images on your laptop straight away without any extra effort. However...

Issue: I take 2/3 shots of most scenes that I want a picture of, and I go back and delete the worse duplicates. When I log onto my computer though, all the duplicates are still there in the Skydrive, and I have to go through again and spend double the effort deleting the same images I just deleted on the phone. Also deleting from skydrive from the phone is rather slow. Sometimes I also just take a quick picture to send to someone or to tweet it, and don't necessarily want to keep it on my device, so I delete it - but it remains in my skydrive. This extra effort cleaning up the skydrive counters the whole point of the feature.

It would be nice if when a photo is deleted on the phone, it is also deleted on Skydrive. I was just wondering if anyone has figured out any innovative solutions to this, I'm sure it's a common problem.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, this drives me nuts too. Related, and also annoying, is that the Camera Roll then copies back to the phone as "Camera Roll from Skydrive".

MS's calling the relationship between Camera Roll and Skydrive as "synchronization" is wrong. The phone just copies from Camera Roll to Skydrive. On WinMo 6.5 I used MS's original "My Phone" beta backup system and it didn't behave this way. Contacts, text messages, and photos were all synchronized to the backup system and you could manage them either from the phone or the web UI and they truly were synchronized across the two.

The photo album's integration with Skydrive needs some tightening up, for sure.

-E

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
"Camera Roll from SkyDrive" is not a locally stored album. It's still on SkyDrive. If you have other albums on SkyDrive or Facebook, you'll see the "from" on there.

Also, you can change how photos are backed up to SkyDrive. I have mine set to upload at full quality and only over WiFi.

poots1101

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
yes, the coined phrase "synced" doesn't really apply with the local camera roll and camera roll from skydrive. it doesn't sync changes, it just merely copies. however, i actually find this 'bug/issue' nice for anyone that does not have unlimited data any longer. it settings, you can tell it to only copy to skydrive when you have wifi (best quality). however, once they are uploaded and you get away from wifi, you can still view your photos via the local camera roll, and not worry about data usage. again, maybe i'm just being an optimist, but i think it's a good result of the true sync not being available.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
All I mean by "true sync" is when a picture is deleted from Camera Roll, it should delete from skydrive also. When you're on wifi, the phone uploads the pictures nearly as fast as they are taken... so if you shoot 3 pictures of the dog real quick and keep the best one, the other two get pushed out to skydrive also. I think most people, when taking pictures, will shoot a few then preview them and delete the sucky ones. With the current upload implementation, even if you delete them a few seconds after they are shot, they still end up on skydrive. It creates a management headache where you have to manually go into the Skydrive camera roll and delete pictures that you've already opted to delete from the phone's local Camera Roll.

-E

David Engel

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
From another standpoint, my Lumina 920 is now out of space since recently taking a lot of video on my last vacation. So, I need to start deleting videos from my phone to make room, but was hesitant to do so thinking it would also delete my videos on the Skydrive. So, from that perspective I'm happy that I can cleanup my phone and not worry about losing data in the cloud.

There should be a two way synchronization that would help with deleting from a single place, but at the same time there should be a way to control how much of your sky drive gets synchronized to your mobile devices so we it will work with devices that have limited storage.

Antchexec

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
To my mind, the salient point is that 'Camera Roll' should mimic a roll of film in a camera.

If one wishes to retain pictures or videos, then one should go into SkyDrive and move those items into the 'Mobile Uploads' file (or some other folder(s), created for the purpose). Then, one 'removes' the old 'film roll' by deleting everything in the Camera Roll folder on the phone; an action which should be replicated on SkyDrive. The operator can be safe in the knowledge that all pictures and videos, one wished to keep, are in a non-synched folder; and can be viewed in an 'xxx from SkyDrive' album, if required. This system would address the earlier points, where unwanted photos and videos can be deleted from the 'Camera Roll' without requiring any visits to SkyDrive

I fail to see why this isn't the 'solution' one would start with, when designing such a system; prior to any variations that may become alternatives, based on user feedback. Surely, if we convened a meeting with more than three sensible people, and wrote on a blackboard the general operational aims of this feature, this is the basic framework one would outline, is it not?

For my part, I probably keep 1 in 20 of the pictures I take. Even when we had to pay for film, there was a photographer?s adage along the lines of ?film is cheap, but moments are precious?; the point being that one should shoot indiscriminately and waste film, rather than miss a great shot. In these days of ?free? film, this becomes a no-brainer; unfortunately, so has the tech industry, when it comes to real-world solutions.

However, on a final note, I would urge people to adopt the practice I outline above, in any event. Go into SkyDrive and move the photos you want to keep into a purpose-built folder, for safe-keeping. Otherwise, one day you will wake up and the system (at one end or the other) will have changed; and all those photos you deleted from the phone will be deleted from the SkyDrive Camera Roll folder. Such is the way of things, when one has to rely on ?Cloud-based? applications and automatic updates. In the good old days, we controlled when our software was changed; and what features we wished to adopt (or, more often, avoid, by keeping our old software). The cloud removes this control; and should not be relied on. Better still; download photos and videos to your own hard-drive, so that when this service gets replaced by some other ?bright idea?, you do not lose everything.

Arnaud Carpentier

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Since David seems to be the only one in this thread who thinks like me, I feel like I have to say I share the same opinion.

I really really do not like the idea of deleting something from my phone's camera roll, and having it deleted from SkyDrive.
Since it only uploads when I'm on WiFi (which is best, for me), I can delete bad picture upon taking them and not having them on the cloud where I would have to delete them again.

Sometimes I also just take a quick picture to send to someone or to tweet it, and don't necessarily want to keep it on my device, so I delete it - but it remains in my skydrive. This extra effort cleaning up the skydrive counters the whole point of the feature.
It would be nice if when a photo is deleted on the phone, it is also deleted on Skydrive. I was just wondering if anyone has figured out any innovative solutions to this, I'm sure it's a common problem.

I could not disagree more. If it is really a problem for you when you want to delete, just upload pictures when on WiFi. Also, what would happen when your skydrive storage exceeds that of your phone ? For me, it would be the worst possible thing MS could do, if I had to delete content from skydrive to make room on my phone.

If this is the settings you need, then I do not believe it should be the default settings, but having the option to do it could be nice, indeed.

I actually love the feature, and I feel much much more at ease knowing I can make room on my phone, and still keep all my pictures.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
i like being able to clear the camera roll on the phone for space, but having them saved on skydrive. I would hate to have to move or archive files on skydrive everytime i wanted to clear some camera roll pictures.

i think the way it works now is correct

rameshwaran

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
E Lizzle i tried to Delete pictures from Skydrver but there no option to do so,
plz can u give some more details,,,,:cry:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)