Annoyances in using Windows Phone OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

LazySunday

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I've always been a Nokia user for the last decade and more. I was having a Symbian phone before I moved to Windows 7.5 with a Lumia 800 and I moved for Nokia. I do enjoy many features on WP 7.5, especially browsing on IE is so fun compared to Symbian. With Lumia 920 arriving with Windows 8 (Not available in my country yet), I'm planning to upgrade to the next Lumia. However, as a long time smart phone user I still feel that Windows 7.5/8 is a bit of pain in the following areas..

1. I listen to music a lot and sometimes I want to slide within a track and you just cannot do that directly in WP. Why don't they just provide a slider so that I don't have to keep pressing those buttons? How difficult it would have been for MS?

2. Smart dialing. Yeah I agree that in WP people hub is well organized, but sometimes punching the name of person in my dialer should help me call the contact rather than digging into the hub everytime. Is it really that difficult to bring this feature?

3. Relegating an app - Huh, the most cumbersome process in WP, especially if you have to close an app keep pressing the back button. Why not just give a close button when apps are minimized on holding the back button just like it is done for tabs in IE? I know there is no need to close an app but an option is definitely worth it. Isn't it?

4. File browser. Now that Lumia's can support BT transfer, why do I have to keep all my pictures in picture roll? Some I really don't want on the roll but I want them on my phone as a stored file in some directory. Moreover, I want to download a file from drop box and mail it as an attachment. Shouldn't I be able to do this in this era of technological advancement in smartphone?

5. FM Radio... I couldn't find a reason why WP should have dropped this? I mean there are still many people who listen to radio and I'm one of those...

6. Built in Voice recorder - I can't believe that WP ignored it again...

7. Still waiting to here more about Wi-fi on always and notification system. But glad that MS acknowledged that they shall be providing it soon...

I do like everything else in WP. I know people can recommend Android in my case, but I somehow never liked it, I found it obsolete and more like aged Symbian. The UI is much better in WP. However, I wish these things to come to WP badly and if MS can sort out would definitely make it a much better platform for smartphone users...

I'm awaiting for the launch of Lumia 920 and I'm going to buy as soon as available, but just wanted to share my WP annoyances so far and the expected ones too :p Hoping at least Nokia would fix these eventually or just wait for MS to act on these... fingers crossed...

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft, despite having a 12 year history with Windows Mobile, Pocket PC, all that stuff, went back to the drawing board and just isn't trying hard enough to add features that have been around in Blackberry and Symbian for ages, just like with what happened to iPhone.

It's going to be another 2 to 3 years before Windows Phone becomes viable to use, featurewise.

It's almost as if Apple and Microsoft think they can get more cash out of consumers by ignoring all the functionality that was present in smartphones before iPhone came along.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
It's almost as if Apple and Microsoft think they can get more cash out of consumers by ignoring all the functionality that was present in smartphones before iPhone came along.

Yeah, I mean, where is support for floppy drives? And direct parallel port connections? And monochrome displays? And Centronics-compatible line printers? And datasettes?

msdugn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Depending on your use case, wouldn't the one in OneNote work? It lets you voice record and then it embeds into the note.

-E

+1. While I loved the voice activated ability on Droid to say, "Note To Self" followed by a personal verbal note. I'd still have to click (or say) send. Then I'd have to check GMail later to get it - with no sense of notification and no distinction between my notes to self and a general email.

I love the WP approach: Say, "Note" - then the personal note. Once it's captured, hit the back button to save the automatically-created OneNote entry with both translated text and the original voice I used. That's tough to beat.

msdugn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

<snip>

2. Smart dialing. Yeah I agree that in WP people hub is well organized, but sometimes punching the name of person in my dialer should help me call the contact rather than digging into the hub everytime. Is it really that difficult to bring this feature?

<snip>

This is true. Although it's not built-in, I purchased the RapDialer app (free version or no ads for $2.99) and I've got a very Droid-like autodialer with even more features than my old Android.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I love the WP approach: Say, "Note" - then the personal note. Once it's captured, hit the back button to save the automatically-created OneNote entry with both translated text and the original voice I used. That's tough to beat.

I had no idea it did that! I only knew you could record voice from inside a note. Thanks for sharing that.

-E

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what the deal is with smart dialing. It's missing from iOS, Windows Phone and Android (stock android anyway last I checked). They all require some other app to make it work. It make'a no sense! :)

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I mean, where is support for floppy drives? And direct parallel port connections? And monochrome displays? And Centronics-compatible line printers? And datasettes?

...and things like VPN, built in RDP client, sending and reading encrypted email, adding it to a domain, applying group policy, multiple volume controls... you know.. things Windows Mobile actually had. :)

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Things like, independent notification tones for text or call from the same user, FILE BROWSER ( I don't care how smart my technology is, you best give me a way to control MY files MY way, if I wanted magic to handle my files I'd be a mac user). i've had these all since my treo on palm and my treo w's. it seems I get bigger screens and better hardware but less functionality
with every new phone OS.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
If you want file browsing and other 20th century legacy ideas, you're best off with Android or another similar legacy 20th century OS. Sorry.

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Lol.
Trolling at its finest.

So what metaphor has replaced files and file browsing? Except Apple, who use magic and smiles and hopes and fairies and dreams and sparkles to make things work, instead of the tired old filesystem metaphor. &#55357;&#56833;

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
One of the things that I like about WP is the lean build. Why waste space with rap dialers, voice recorders etc that I have no use or desire for? As long as their are apps for those who want them this is the ideal way to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb