Where's the features from Pocket PC, Windows Mobile 2003, WM5, WM6, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Lack of multitasking... I drove to work today using GPS while listening to music. I got a call taped my Bluetooth took the call completed the call the music came back on and the GPS was back on the screen. I sent 2 text through Bluetooth each time the music paused and started again and the entire time Navigon (my GPS) was sending me directions even when the texting screen was up. I call this multitasking. If an app pauses to a static state to save battery when not is use who cares as long as its ready to go when I need it. Maybe its time for some to reevaluate their thought process on this one topic.

Again I make no excuses for Microsoft if ringer management is what people want Microsoft should get it done. I want customizable alert tones I should have it. As this OS evolves I am confident we will have all this and more. Microsoft needs to get it done sooner than later but not at the expense of security, stability and growth. I would like these minute OS adjustments so the WP haters will be silenced not because I need them. I am confidant they will.

DroBoy

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
They added something like 200+ features since WM, and you're complaining about 4 that didn't make the cut?

You're acting like a Windows Phone is crippled or something. Volume control. Blah.

It is seriously crippled, I really do like WP8, but dam the volume control gets really annoying after awhile it should have separate profiles. And god syncing music, is a ****in trip and annoying and complicated compared to android and Itunes.

Why did they get rid of Zune? Dumb move by M.S

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
How do you send text via BT. You responded to some text? If you initiated a text via BT, please share how.

Tap the Bluetooth to initiate voice command (Tell Me) then say "Text Name" follow the prompt. You can do the same thing without a Bluetooth by tap and hold on the Windows key.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Love WP8! And it is my first windows phone since before the iPhone.

But it does seem silly I can't email attachments from within various document apps. (op stated PDF files specifically)

Pictures and audio clips aren't the only items that get emailed.

But again, I love this phone. (920)
Amazing device

Edited:
I just realized I can email office docs as attachments just fine. (docx and xlsx)

So pdf's are the only obstacle. Bet it is possible somehow. (Nokia reader won't)

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
It is seriously crippled, I really do like WP8, but dam the volume control gets really annoying after awhile it should have separate profiles. And god syncing music, is a ****in trip and annoying and complicated compared to android and Itunes.

Why did they get rid of Zune? Dumb move by M.S

First I hated multiple volume control on Android and WinMo I could never figure out why one thing was to loud and the next thing I couldn't hear. I like having one simple solution turn it up when you want it loud turn it down when you don't. What else do you need.

I agree that music sync needs some serious help. Zune wasn't the answer though if you had read these forums 2 months ago every other thread was complaining about something in Zune. I hope Microsoft gives this a bunch of attention and get it right. I personally am not having any issues but that's me. I have read a bunch of threads about people having issues it shouldn't be that way.

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
First I hated multiple volume control on Android and WinMo I could never figure out why one thing was to loud and the next thing I couldn't hear. I like having one simple solution turn it up when you want it loud turn it down when you don't. What else do you need.
Do you love turning down that loud Youtube video and then not hearing your phone ring later because you didn't turn it back up when the video was done?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
BTW, everyone on and on and on about those WM features, have you forgotten how many custom ROMs you had to flash to get the max out of your PPC? How many hours of tweaking and regedits were needed to keep that mofo running? Have you forgotten how many times it froze and died on you when you were trying to listen to music AND download stuff off internet? Did you forget how lame ass slow those things were? Above ALL, did you forget that even with all that functionalities that you are on about, how miserably that thing failed?!

We are here with 2% marketshare because of that ugliest reputation and name that was associated with the brand. Why on earth do we even want WP to be like WM is out of my understanding. There was not ONE single feature on WM that can't be done on WP. But it will need time. We've got the kernel in place

Look at it this way - PPC was a your pocket PC - a computer running on a smartphone.
WP is still a freaking PC - WP8 is your tablet, your laptop, your PC - running on a smartphone.

Do you see what is different? The speed, stability and security. If I had to lose a few features on the way to get this against a WM2003's laggy, buggy day, I am going to happily do it all over again. These things aren't life or death thing. They are EXTRA features on top of a secure, stable and fast core. They will come or not, but they aren't MUST HAVE.

But turns out, folks here rather have a **** loaded OS with bugs in the name of a zillion features (Android I am looking at you too), instead of a stable phone first. It's like you want to start making your parking lot prettier and multi-storey before even getting your restaurant's kitchen running!

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Because you chose to buy this phone even after knowing this fact and not the competition's phone?
Yes but why should somebody choose to even keep this phone in the first place when they are encumbered like that? This is why Windows Phone is missing out on lots of potential users who even go out of their way to try it. Consumers buy it from their carrier and they're saying: "wtf this does less than my current iPhone does and even that doesn't do very much" and they take it back after the 14 day carrier return period and get a Galaxy S3 instead.

If Microsoft had just thought ahead like they should and put all the features that the competition already had since they were 3 years late to the game, the only thing people would be turned off by is their displeasure with the UI due to mere preference. However, Microsoft made it easier for consumers to shrug off Windows Phone because Microsoft rolled out what is essentially an objectively worse user experience when they could have easily rolled out something far more comprehensive thanks to their 12 years of experience with smartphones, which Apple and Google don't even have.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Do you love turning down that loud Youtube video and then not hearing your phone ring later because you didn't turn it back up when the video was done?

I don't make simple minded mistakes like that. I know I have to turn it back up so I do. Most of the time when I am listening to a youtube video or what ever I am doing it through a Bluetooth headset that has an independent volume control. When using an Android or iPhone device with headsets like these I would have to do to the volume control in settings and turn the volume all the way up so I could then use my headset controls. In the end on those devices for me the independent volume controls were just a pain I wound up turning the volume all the way up on all 3 and never adjusted it again from the device.

I want to say again that I make no excuses for Microsoft...etc...choice is good

Yes but why should somebody choose to even keep this phone in the first place when they are encumbered like that? This is why Windows Phone is missing out on lots of potential users who even go out of their way to try it. Consumers buy it from their carrier and they're saying: "wtf this does less than my current iPhone does and even that doesn't do very much" and they take it back after the 14 day carrier return period and get a Galaxy S3 instead.

If Microsoft had just thought ahead like they should and put all the features that the competition already had since they were 3 years late to the game, the only thing people would be turned off by is their displeasure with the UI due to mere preference. However, Microsoft made it easier for consumers to shrug off Windows Phone because Microsoft rolled out what is essentially an objectively worse user experience when they could have easily rolled out something far more comprehensive thanks to their 12 years of experience with smartphones, which Apple and Google don't even have.

Wrong... Do you have numbers to support your subjective conclusions? I have numbers to the contrary... Lets just look at the number of people in this forum. Sense WP8 rolled out we have grown to 5 times larger than before. People are having great reactions to WP8 and Windows Phones are out selling all other devices including the GS3. Before you make bold subjective statements you should review some data. Windows Phones also have the highest ratings in customer satisfaction on all the carriers where they are available. Check the numbers.

"wtf this does less than my current iPhone does and even that doesn't do very much"

That's not at all what the majority is saying the majority of people buying WP's are saying " WOW look what this device can do". This is your poll and we are at 67% disagreeing with you. Most people understand where WP is at and where it is going how it is now and how it will be in the future. Its amazing to me that this community is still trying to convince you when its obviously don't want to agree. It says a lot about how much Windows Phone is appreciated by the people who have one and use it.

Last edited:

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I think some people aren't getting the point. If WP would have all of the good features of WM, along with what it has now, it would be that much better, and therefore would be easier to quantify as better than other mobile OSes. As it stands, there are certain people WP alienates because it doesn't do this or that. For me it's fine, but there are definitely some things that need to be added soon.

Believe me, WIndows Mobile alienated far more people with it's crap start button nerdy interface and erratic reliability.

WP8 is missing a few key features/appa though, on that I agree.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I am unsure how someone wants features/functionality over stability and speed?

You can't add stability and speed unless you pile up processor cores - live example Android. That thing is the best functionality out there but ****, it needs you to have a high end big punk ass phone with quad cores now!

WP with 256 mb ram runs like a new born baby's eyeballs when it comes to stability and speed. Functions can be added but the stability and speed at the core can't. Imagine this sizzle with quad cores on it and all your functions added slowly, gradually without breaking stuff!

Again live examples - Xbox Music! How many peeps on this forum moaned and groaned about Zune's limited functions? Now Microsoft responded and it's added functionality but with bugs. However, given time that will improve - Xbox smartglass anyone..?

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I think the argument is simple: some folks are still baffled that some basic features standard in smartphones up to this point still do not exist on the Windows Phone platform. And people talk about speed and stability...I would imagine custom tones and separate volume controls won't muck up the user experience that much.

I don't know. It just seems tiring to keep having to hear "Its coming. Give MS time" when it comes to stuff already in on other OS'. Make no mistake, I love my current WP. Its the perfect device for me. So I'm not hating.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Why should I be encumbered like that when the competition doesn't encumber their users like that?

Encumbered? Oh, come on, could you be more dramatic?

If you're listening to music on your stereo and turn it down, you have to turn it back up to hear it again. If you're watching TV and you turn the volume down, you have to turn it back up again to hear it. This is ridiculous... "encumbered" because - *clutches pearls* - to hear your phone, you have to turn the volume up after you turn it down! Sheesh.

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Encumbered? Oh, come on, could you be more dramatic?

If you're listening to music on your stereo and turn it down, you have to turn it back up to hear it again. If you're watching TV and you turn the volume down, you have to turn it back up again to hear it. This is ridiculous... "encumbered" because - *clutches pearls* - to hear your phone, you have to turn the volume up after you turn it down! Sheesh.
A smartphone is neither a simple stereo nor a simple television set. Way to exhibit fallacious reasoning. Nobody could possibly take this post seriously.

Last edited:

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A smartphone is neither a simple stereo nor a simple television yet.

The simplicity of the device is not the issue here; the commonality of volume controls is. In each of them, you need to turn the volume back up, after you've turned it down, if you wish to once again hear sound from the device. Way to put forth a straw-man argument. Why am I taking you seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa