How can message someone outside the country?

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
So since whatsapp doesn't work on wp8 and I can't shell out the big bucks for international text and email doesn't feel very fast, what other options are there if I want to send instant messages to someone with a BlackBerry outside my country?

Does windows live/MSN messenger work on wp8?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Or Email them! If they have a blackberry, they have an email account linked to their phone.

Yes Windows Live/MSN are baked into the OS. You can go online from your "Messaging" tile.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Download Kik. It's pretty popular and it's cross platform.

People over here say it doesn't update live tiles. How widespread is that? Does it work fast and have instant resume? Do messages ever get delayed or is it quite stable? If its as good ad on android, iOS or BlackBerry I would prefer it over whatsapp.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
BTW, don't you already have a thread on such a topic? I am sure we went through this before, no?
Well that topic is similar yes but this is specifically for someone outside the country. From the previous topic I decided the situation is not too bad after all because I can easily send an SMS to whoever I want and its definitely more reliable than whatsapp. But in this case things change a bit.

By the way does MSN messenger still work or had Microsoft already gotten rid of it in favor of Skype?

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
People over here say it doesn't update live tiles. How widespread is that? Does it work fast and have instant resume? Do messages ever get delayed or is it quite stable? If its as good ad on android, iOS or BlackBerry I would prefer it over whatsapp.

I can't speak for others but it works fine for me. Just download it and try it. It might be just what you need.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Oh nice. And I assume it has that fast resume feature whatever its called?

Do you see any pros and cons between kik and MSN messenger apart from the fact that kik has sent, delivered and read receipts?

Messenger is built right into the phone so you send and receive just like a regular text. It just "feels" like your doing regular SMS.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Messenger is built right into the phone so you send and receive just like a regular text. It just "feels" like your doing regular SMS.

Hmmm so the situation isn't as bad as I thought at first.

Now the only thing remaining is keeping myself from going out and buying a 920 which is discounted $50 for the weekend over here. Ughhh the yellow is so beautiful.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Oh nice. And I assume it has that fast resume feature whatever its called?

Do you see any pros and cons between kik and MSN messenger apart from the fact that kik has sent, delivered and read receipts?

I think the best part is - integration. It is right in the place where you text from. You don't need an app for MSN messenger. You can swap between MSN, FB chat and normal texts. So it all feels like texting. All real time, all instant as long as you have a data connection.

If your message isn't sent it will give an error "Message not sent. Try again" like a normal text. So you just tap on that error and it resends. That's the best part of integration in WP. Everything feels like it belongs there. If you have enough friends on FB and MSN, you won't need Whatsapp.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Oh man you're tempting me to go out right now and buying a 920. If I have someone in my Facebook contacts but they don't have a cell phone. Will they show up in the contacts list still? Some people have also complained that the Facebook chat works quite slowly, is this true or is that just an isolated incident?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Oh man you're tempting me to go out right now and buying a 920. If I have someone in my Facebook contacts but they don't have a cell phone. Will they show up in the contacts list still? Some people have also complained that the Facebook chat works quite slowly, is this true or is that just an isolated incident?

As long as they are online/visible on Fb/MSN you can chat to them and they can chat to you. Of course if they are offline and leave you a message you are dependent on Fb app. The ones that talk about slowness of Fb are due to their data connections.

I've never had issues like that on baked in features since WP7.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
What am I missing with this Whatsapp thing? I have it on my Lumia 920 and it works just fine, how come "WP8 doesnt have it"?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss