WP8 folders?

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
One helpful tidbit is that some of the apps are linked in corresponding hubs. For example the photos, music+videos, and games hubs all have an "apps" pivot. You could consider those folders, and as such there is no need to pin netflix, audible, iheartradio, metrotube, fhotoroom, instacam, etc to you screen.

Cosmin Reti

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
No. You really need to do some research on WP8. You have your app list and main page but you have control on what you have on your main page by choosing what to pin to the start page. Using folders on WP8 would be redundant because it has the live tiles. So whatever u pin to the start shows updates on whatever that app is.
Live tiles have nothing to do Folders, I see live tiles as advanced shortcuts, but what I would really like to see are Custom HUBS, there are now: xbox hub for games, a music hub, a people hub, etc... but what if I want an IT hub to put apps and bookmarks in it, like tomshardware app, engadget app etc..., how about a Favourites HUB where I can put only the people I call the most so I don't have to have 25 tiles on the main screen... that would be very nice, a sport HUB, anyway, Custom HUBS that we can creat as we like, that would be a neat feature.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Live tiles have nothing to do Folders, I see live tiles as advanced shortcuts, but what I would really like to see are Custom HUBS, there are now: xbox hub for games, a music hub, a people hub, etc... but what if I want an IT hub to put apps and bookmarks in it, like tomshardware app, engadget app etc..., how about a Favourites HUB where I can put only the people I call the most so I don't have to have 25 tiles on the main screen... that would be very nice, a sport HUB, anyway, Custom HUBS that we can creat as we like, that would be a neat feature.
Groups for the underlined...People>Together>New...>Group. Add folks to the group, pin to start...

NThomas

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Hubs with app views are just a modern take on legacy folders and files. The Games, Music + Videos, and People Hub got it right with related apps listed within their respective Hubs' "apps view." Music is where you'd think it is: Music + Videos, games are in the Games Hub, and instead of switching from app to app for information about a single person, the People Hub has all these services integrated into a single "app."

If there was a News + Weather Hub for news related apps, eBooks Hub for apps like Kindle, Nook, etc. TV Hub for service providers like AT&T, Time Warner Cable, Verizon, etc. have a single place for virtual remote control, DVR manager, etc., PIM Hub for calendars, tasks, & note apps., etc. This not only solves the "folder problem" but helps integrate more information into the UI and out of the developers traditional app specific UI.

Jay Mead

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft, I hope you're reading this thread:

I work for Nokia. We have phones with over 100 apps installed. Without grouping of these apps (call them folders, hubs, grouped tiles, etc), the ability to find what the user is looking for is difficult......down right impossible unless you can remember every name of the 100+ apps installed. Who came up with this? Further more, how could you not?

You pioneered "WINDOWS" -- success of this OS was attributed with a UI (windows..e.g. folders) that organized and structured your data.....where is such organization in the windows phone version?

This is like having a cluttered desktop sorted alpha where you still can't find a darn thing because there so much to look at....this is sloppy, this is unstructured, unorganized clutter.

This is like McDonalds releasing a new menu w/out burgers.

Get it together already!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett