Ideas for NFC tags?

Wastenott

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I've seen a few threads asking questions, clarifications and such but not a lot of discussion about applications for tag use. I've got a pile of tags, and beyond using them as a shortcut to launch an app, I'm out of ideas. So I thought I'd try and get some input from other members on what to do with them.

Given that NFC is more restricted on WP8 as opposed to Android, how would you use a tag with your Windows phone? The only idea I have right now is sticking one on my car dock to auto-launch the music hub when docked. I'd love to hear other ideas.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I really wanted to use an NFC tag to toggle the Bluetooth on/off switch automatically when getting in and out of my car. A shortcut to the setting is better than nothing, but ideally i want the former.

Wastenott

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I can understand, for security reasons, why MS has chosen to not allow the changing of settings with an NFC tag. With that said, I don't necessarily agree with it. You already receive a prompt when the tag activates asking if you wish to allow or ignore the function, surely that's enough? Hopefully MS will give this another look and allow it at some point in the future.

In the end, I decided to write a simple tag that launches the Music+Video app when I dock my phone in the car. I may add another for GPS at some point as well. Beyond that, there are just not a lot of use cases when limited to just launching apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon