(Yet Another) Switching from Android Thread

bullwinkle12

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys! I just joined, and I'm looking forward to hopping on the Windows Phone train! I'm leaning toward the Lumia 920 over the 8X (ATT), but I'll have to test them both out in the store to see how I like them. I'm really excited to become a Windows Phone user, but I have some questions I'm hoping you guys will help me with.

I'm currently on a Samsung Galaxy S (Captivate). I'm a semi-power user - I'm rooted, use custom ROMs, and can troubleshoot minor issues, but lately I've been only using my phone for productivity and entertainment since I went back to grad school. As a student, I have strong needs to always be connected. Also, I am highly invested in the Google ecosystem. This is the main cause of my concern switching to WP8. I am willing to look past the things like lack of apps and a few bugs, but there are several things I need to be sure that I maintain productivity. So, I'm hoping you guys don't mind me being direct with my questions, but I've poured through the forums and mostly found partial answers to my questions, but few that directly address my specific use. I know I wrote a lot, but I figured that it might be helpful for me to specifically describe my use cases.

------------

Gmail. I've read that there aren't any issues getting gmail on the phone. As long as it syncs both ways I should be fine. But I'm wondering about how Gmail's labels work. Do they all show up? Do they show up as folders? What is the functionality with using them? Also, I often switch between my personal gmail and my .edu address (that is managed by gmail too). Can I easily switch between my two email addresses should I need to compose or reply from a specific one?

Google Calendar. Similar deal. I just want to make sure everything syncs properly so I don't miss anything. I've just imported my Google Calendar into Outlook.com (I think the calendar is still branded as Hotmail) and it seems to work okay, so I'm reasonably certain that this won't be an issue. But I just want to make sure my multiple calendars (e.g. class, work, meetings, events) will work without a hitch. Also, how do the alerts work? What kind of minute increments? Can you set multiple or snooze the reminders for a certain amount of time (say 10 minutes)? I ask because I had to install a 3rd party app on Android to get the functionality I wanted, so I'm curious as to how WP handles it.

Google Voice. I have my Google Voice number and my regular number. I primarily use my regular number for sms/phone, but I use Google Voice for voicemails, and I am quite happy with it. How does WP handle voicemails? For those of you with Google Voice, how do you manage it with WP?

Evernote. I know there's a WP7 app, but I read that it doesn't work with WP8, and the fix is taking a while. I suppose I could use OneNote instead/in the meantime, since it's integrated, but I actually use them in different capacities. I use Evernote for general notes, like a notepad, just to store thoughts, reminders, tasks. I use OneNote more for class notes or brainstorming/outlining. Have you guys found OneNote to be good on the WP? Any complaints or issues that might hinder productivity?

How does WP handle sms? One thing I don't like about Android is that whenever an iPhone user sends a group/mass text messgae, I receive texts from all of the recipients replying back to the sender. This happens no matter if I use stock or 3rd party messaging app.

------------
The rest of this stuff is mostly just fluff. But I thought I'd ask anyway.

How do you like the People Hub? I don't really interact with my Twitter friends in real life, and only a small percentage of my Facebook friends. So, I don't really want to know everything about everyone. But I don't want to only have updates from a select few either. I actually prefer to keep them all separated, so I have my sms and phone separate from my Facebook separate from my Twitter. Is this possible? This isn't really a huge deal, I know I can make it work, no matter how it is.

I know that Nokia Maps/Bing Maps is good for directions/navigation. But I'm curious about the Points of Interest. Have you guys noticed any businesses/restaurants missing or anything like that? This is one area, imo, that Google Maps excelled.

RSS Reader? One that syncs with Google Reader? Or if not, one that syncs with a web client.

Anyone have a good podcast app recommendation?

Do you have to format videos a certain way to get them to work?

Good sports app? I know there is the ESPN app, I'm sure I'll use it if I have too, but I hate ESPN as a company (I can expound if you like, but I figure this isn't the place) and would rather use a different one. Unbelievably, I have yet to find one on Android that I really like.

How does developer access work? If I start building my own apps, do I get any kind of special access to the phone? (This one I haven't looked up yet, and I'm sure the answer is easy to find, so feel free to ignore.)

Is there something similar to Prey on WP?
------------
Sorry for writing a book. I hope I didn't bore you or make you guys think I'm weird. :smile: I'm just really excited about this move. :excited: Hopefully, I won't have to return to Android, but the Google integration stuff is extremely important, and is a dealbreaker if I can't get things to work as I need them to.

Thanks guys!

tmotytn

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
+1

I, too, was/am heavily integrated into the Google world, and it has been a challenge trying to "untie" myself and move closer toward the Microsoft world...

I have set up an Outlook.com email (which is basically MS version of Gmail),

my pics are automatically uploaded to Skydrive instead of my G+ account,

Evernote seems to work decently, but OneNote is apparently supposed to be the replacement app there (but I haven't had a lot of success with the OneNote product)

there is a Google Voice app, but it is not as robust on WP as it is on Android (obviously)

Nokia Drive on my Lumia 820 is in no way, shape or form as good as Google Maps on my S3 or Note or any other Android device I have had, and this may wind up being the main reason I bail (if I do)

The People Hub is cool because everything is right there in the one place, and last year when I left WP for the Galaxy Note, I missed that. I tried Hootsuite and a couple of other all in one apps, but none could compare.

I still haven't given up my Google Calendar yet, and for my usage, it syncs up just fine with WP.

I have only been back a couple of weeks, and I am trying, but being so deeply embedded in the Goog for so long is making it difficult...Gmail, Google+, Calendar, Adsense, Analytics, photo-syncing, etc.-- there may be apps available now or on the way to replace some of these things, but the other little annoyances like the global volume thing, the lack of individual notifications, etc. really highlight the fact that WP needs some polishing. Polishing that has already been done to Android's OS.

I can illustrate it this way: Since I have had my 820 as my daily driver, I use my iPad more. When my Galaxy S3 was my daily driver, I would go a day or two without using my iPad.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I can illustrate it this way: Since I have had my 820 as my daily driver, I use my iPad more. When my Galaxy S3 was my daily driver, I would go a day or two without using my iPad.

Shows how different products come across to different people. With my TITAN as my daily driver throughout (I got it 3 months before my HTC Flyer), I've now started using my tablet a lot less than I used to (I always keep it with me, but only really use it for checking GMail, Sky Mail, and stuff that requires a stylus), and use my HTC TITAN mostly. Then again, I'm heavily invested in the Microsoft ecosystem instead of the Google ecosystem so maybe that makes a difference (I have an Xbox 360 and 2 Windows 8 installs so there's a lot of stuff to be had there)

@OP: I agree with snaqvi91, an Android phone is probably your best option. You're so heavily invested in the Google ecosystem (equivalent investment to my Microsoft investment) that I don't think a Windows Phone would work for you. Similarly, Android would like be a PITA for me too, because of my heavy investment into Microsoft (to the point I am trying to make Xbox across W8, WP, and X360 my only source of gaming)

Last edited:

Keith Lim

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I've just switched from 6 months use of S3 to Lumia 920. Some suggestions:

1. If you are heavily invested in Google, you may want to consider sticking to Android phone. There is no decent Google Drive app in WP8, I think. You would need to consider moving stuffs to Skydrive instead. But if you are moving towards MS as you said, then getting a WP would be a no-brainer. Microsoft Office should integrate well with WP8, and skydrive provide a good alternative to dropbox or Google Drive. There's no issue accessing Google mail or Google calendar.

2. RSS reader, there are a few nice ones. I think Fuse and Pulse are probably OK and there are quite a few others.

3. If you buy a Lumia (which I strongly recommend), Nokia Maps + Drive is competitive to Google Maps, IMHO. I don't know why tmotytn says it is no good, but maybe he can elaborate. From what I see here, Nokia Drive is better:
The Smartphone Navigation Showdown: Google Maps Vs Nokia Drive - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com
Nokia Maps Drives Circles Around Apple and Google - Forbes
The Forgotten Mapmaker: Nokia Has Better Maps Than Apple and Maybe Even Google - Alexis C. Madrigal - The Atlantic

Nokia also adds a host of other feature softwares like Nokia City Lens and Nokia transit.

I like People Hub the best. When using S3, I find some strange issues with multiple accounts. At one point, it duplicated the same person 4 times on my phone, from a LinkedIn account. However, there is ONE thing that Android contact list is better than People Hub now, and that is ironically Skype. Microsoft has not fully integrated Skype with People Hub. You need to "merge contacts" for Skype and MS account. Once you do that, it brings your skype contacts into the People Hub. Strangely, you can still only make skype call to the skype contacts you brought in, but not to all contacts. Eg. If I have skype credits and I want to call someone's mobile from the People Hub, I can't, if this guy is not a Skype contact! I would have to start the Skype app to make the call. Since MS had bought Skype, my guess is this will *eventually* be integrated.

Video - I think only certain codec is supported. So yes, you may need to convert. But I think VLC is looking to port over to WP8 and Win8, so hopefully this covers more. Here's a list:
Supported media codecs for Windows Phone

tmotytn

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I guess I should have been clearer here...The Nokia Drive App itself works great, and the dinging you get when you go over the speed limit is pretty cool (annoying as all ****, but cool)...

My issue is with the maps themselves. I live in Dallas, and rely heavily on the GPS/Nav feature to get places...the Nokia map folks apparently haven't been here in nearly a year because there is a whole 10 -15 mile stretch of a major toll road missing, including the exit and on ramps, and the adjacent strip mall/shopping centers. I say a year because that section opened around January 1 of 2012. I haven't seen/found an update to the map on the device itself, but if someone else has a method ...?

Maybe in some other areas, Nokia Drive and Nokia Maps are superior, this is definitely one of those YMMV scenarios (ha, I just saw what I did there)...

Apparently, I am not alone in being disappointed...Bring back native Maps on Nokia Windows Phones | Windows Phone Central

anon(730643)

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
People are prob right. I use android and windows phone. For WP..set a main outlook account and subscribe to your google calendar through it. You can do the same for contacts but it seems to not sync to the phone that wat. You can import them directly via a file. As far as navigation..im an 8x user so I'm using a GPS now.
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

anon(730643)

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Earlier..i meant people are prob right if you are a heavy google user..stick with android. Transitioning isn't hard...but its not convenient and using Gmail as your primary isn't going to work well.

anon(730643)

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Last post..there is an app called Metrotalk that works nice enough for google voice. Its my voicemail as well.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to simply repeat what everyone else is saying: if you are heavily invested in Google services & solutions, you are likely better served with a newer Android device.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Gmail, Google Calendars, Google Voice and Evernote all work. There is no Google Drive app though but seeing how that is just storage, you can use a SkyDrive account. I have no idea what Prey is.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I live in Plano and have had no problems with Nokia drive at all. Outlook, formerly hotmail, has been around longer than gmail and I think is better. Plus easier on the eyes.

But as just about all have said, if you are that entrenched in android, and don't want to hassel with the time it's going to take to get windows phone setup to your liking (if that's even possible) sticking where you are at is probably best for you. But hey, you gave it a shot, and that's all they can ask.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I'll have to check, I've not used it for that. I go the other direction on GBT when I use it. I'll have to admit that even the att gps app has done alright for me. My nephew goes to UTA and was trying to take the toll road here using his iphone. That was a disaster. It didn't even show it and had him taking 30 to 35, then north dallas tollway. Yeow.

tmotytn

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'll have to check, I've not used it for that. I go the other direction on GBT when I use it. I'll have to admit that even the att gps app has done alright for me. My nephew goes to UTA and was trying to take the toll road here using his iphone. That was a disaster. It didn't even show it and had him taking 30 to 35, then north dallas tollway. Yeow.

Everyone else in my family have iPhones, and my daughter upgraded hers to iOS 6 without thinking...yep, totally screwed. Thankfully, my wife's idea of maintenance on her phone is handing it to me, so no issues there...

Sitting in Farmer's Branch right now, looking at the Nokia Maps on my 820...hold on, there is an update in the settings...well, there you go...problem solved...both Nokia Maps and the native Bing maps updated to show the Toll Road extending all the way over to I-30...sweet!

I looked the other day and didn't see an update available, maybe the native Maps app triggered something...oh well, who cares how or why....

fusioncept

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Gmail. I've read that there aren't any issues getting gmail on the phone. As long as it syncs both ways I should be fine. But I'm wondering about how Gmail's labels work. Do they all show up? Do they show up as folders? What is the functionality with using them? Also, I often switch between my personal gmail and my .edu address (that is managed by gmail too). Can I easily switch between my two email addresses should I need to compose or reply from a specific one?

Don't let people scare you. I love the Google Ecosystem. I use many google web products. But I like MS OS's. I have windows, WP, and xbox (I also have a macbook for school). Starting with Gmail. There is no problem with labels as folders, and you can manage both emails separately as different tiles (unless you have them linked). If you have them linked, then sending mail from .edu works only if you are replying to a message.

Google Calendar. Similar deal. I just want to make sure everything syncs properly so I don't miss anything. I've just imported my Google Calendar into Outlook.com (I think the calendar is still branded as Hotmail) and it seems to work okay, so I'm reasonably certain that this won't be an issue. But I just want to make sure my multiple calendars (e.g. class, work, meetings, events) will work without a hitch. Also, how do the alerts work? What kind of minute increments? Can you set multiple or snooze the reminders for a certain amount of time (say 10 minutes)? I ask because I had to install a 3rd party app on Android to get the functionality I wanted, so I'm curious as to how WP handles it.

No issue. At first you may only can sync the primary calendar, but google the issue, and there is a solution with going into google sync settings and changing the setting so you can sync all of them. its really easy. Alerts for ToDos are 1 min increments. Reminders for events are 5 min increments. Idk about snooze on reminders, I know there is, idk how long. But it works smooth from my experience.

Google Voice. I have my Google Voice number and my regular number. I primarily use my regular number for sms/phone, but I use Google Voice for voicemails, and I am quite happy with it. How does WP handle voicemails? For those of you with Google Voice, how do you manage it with WP?

There's a 3rd party app. Its not great, but its there. It's called MetroTalk.

Evernote. I know there's a WP7 app, but I read that it doesn't work with WP8, and the fix is taking a while. I suppose I could use OneNote instead/in the meantime, since it's integrated, but I actually use them in different capacities. I use Evernote for general notes, like a notepad, just to store thoughts, reminders, tasks. I use OneNote more for class notes or brainstorming/outlining. Have you guys found OneNote to be good on the WP? Any complaints or issues that might hinder productivity?

It works fine. The only gripe I have with it (idk if this is functionality, or because it isn't updated yet) is that i cant edit checklists well. I can check and uncheck lists, but editing them is weird. The formatting is off or something.

How do you like the People Hub? I don't really interact with my Twitter friends in real life, and only a small percentage of my Facebook friends. So, I don't really want to know everything about everyone. But I don't want to only have updates from a select few either. I actually prefer to keep them all separated, so I have my sms and phone separate from my Facebook separate from my Twitter. Is this possible? This isn't really a huge deal, I know I can make it work, no matter how it is.

I love it. One of my favorite features. You can make updates separated by making groups and pinning them on the start screen. I have everyone in my people hub, but I separate using groups. it works pretty well. Also, the functionality of being able to go from facebook chat to text with two button taps is awesome. It takes some getting used to the concept, but you can be pretty creative with how you handle your communication between people. This is def one of WP8's strong points.

RSS Reader? One that syncs with Google Reader? Or if not, one that syncs with a web client.

I used pulse on my android for RSS. Apparently they removed the WP app. Idk why. But what I do now is use the mobile web page (which works as a web app that mimics the old app) and pin in to the start screen. It works just as good.

I tried to answer everything I know at least a little about. Hope it helps :)

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I liked Android. I don't understand all the hate from people here towards it. But I also like WPs OS. I wish I could have the best of both worlds.
The possibilities of a more open/less locked down WP OS would be endless. The best part of Android was the dev community. Because of them, there was almost nothing I couldn't do with my Android phone. With WP OS, we are far too limited in some areas on what MS is willing to give us. Options and choices are limited.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786