(Yet Another) Switching from Android Thread

tmotytn

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Don't let people scare you. I love the Google Ecosystem. I use many google web products. But I like MS OS's. I have windows, WP, and xbox (I also have a macbook for school). Starting with Gmail. There is no problem with labels as folders, and you can manage both emails separately as different tiles (unless you have them linked). If you have them linked, then sending mail from .edu works only if you are replying to a message.

No issue. At first you may only can sync the primary calendar, but google the issue, and there is a solution with going into google sync settings and changing the setting so you can sync all of them. its really easy. Alerts for ToDos are 1 min increments. Reminders for events are 5 min increments. Idk about snooze on reminders, I know there is, idk how long. But it works smooth from my experience.

There's a 3rd party app. Its not great, but its there. It's called MetroTalk.

It works fine. The only gripe I have with it (idk if this is functionality, or because it isn't updated yet) is that i cant edit checklists well. I can check and uncheck lists, but editing them is weird. The formatting is off or something.

I love it. One of my favorite features. You can make updates separated by making groups and pinning them on the start screen. I have everyone in my people hub, but I separate using groups. it works pretty well. Also, the functionality of being able to go from facebook chat to text with two button taps is awesome. It takes some getting used to the concept, but you can be pretty creative with how you handle your communication between people. This is def one of WP8's strong points.

I used pulse on my android for RSS. Apparently they removed the WP app. Idk why. But what I do now is use the mobile web page (which works as a web app that mimics the old app) and pin in to the start screen. It works just as good.

I tried to answer everything I know at least a little about. Hope it helps :)

Absolutely no offense intended to Fusioncept with this at all, but this right here is why the answer is to stay with Android...

If you are any kind of power user, (custom ROMs on a 3yr-old device indicates power user), embedded in the Google ecosystem, you are not going to be happy with work-arounds and almosts and nearly-the-sames...that is the biggest difference for me--while I enjoy that stuff to an extent, some of those things just worked because it was a Google product on a Google device.

I realize this probably makes me sound like I am bashing WP, or am being an Android ******, but I'm not trying to be...just expressing my 2 pennies...

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Everyone else in my family have iPhones, and my daughter upgraded hers to iOS 6 without thinking...yep, totally screwed. Thankfully, my wife's idea of maintenance on her phone is handing it to me, so no issues there...

Sitting in Farmer's Branch right now, looking at the Nokia Maps on my 820...hold on, there is an update in the settings...well, there you go...problem solved...both Nokia Maps and the native Bing maps updated to show the Toll Road extending all the way over to I-30...sweet!

I looked the other day and didn't see an update available, maybe the native Maps app triggered something...oh well, who cares how or why....

You are right. Mine shows it stopping at 78, even though I know better. Where is update in the settings? Obviously you use it much more than me! Thanks.

tmotytn

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
You are right. Mine shows it stopping at 78, even though I know better. Where is update in the settings? Obviously you use it much more than me! Thanks.

I downloaded the Maps app from the Marketplace and found it in the settings within that app--it updated there and in the Nokia Maps app.

bullwinkle12

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate the honesty. I kind of expected to get answers like this. I guess my big dilemma is that right now I really want to move to WP, and am willing to work through the rough spots. But I'm concerned that in a couple months when work ramps up again, I will not have the patience anymore.

Also, I don't find any of the Android phones - even the top of the line ones - exciting. Whereas I find the Lumia 920 to be stunning (haven't seen the 8X in person yet).

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
He's already listed all that he needs and WP8 can do all of that. I'm not getting what exactly your concerned about and what "when work ramps up" implies. What exactly do you do that you're unsure about accomplishing in WP8?

fusioncept

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate the honesty. I kind of expected to get answers like this. I guess my big dilemma is that right now I really want to move to WP, and am willing to work through the rough spots. But I'm concerned that in a couple months when work ramps up again, I will not have the patience anymore.

Also, I don't find any of the Android phones - even the top of the line ones - exciting. Whereas I find the Lumia 920 to be stunning (haven't seen the 8X in person yet).

The workarounds work. They might be workarounds, but you only have to set it up once, and then they work perfect. The only thing in my post that doesn't "work" is the Evernote checklist which should be fixed when they update to WP8 (which they will).

The thing you look at all day is the start screen (or home screen). If you like the look of WP8, then that's what you get to look at. All my apps work great. And I love how my flow works from app to app as I need them on Wp8. WP8's limitations are worked around (and like I said, it's only once and then you are good to go).

As WP8 gets more popular--which Microsoft seems adamant that it will, so it will, because when MS wants something, they get it--more developers will make apps to fill in the gaps (including Google). This is what happens with early adoption. (And I say early adoption because WP8 is a different beast than WP7; WP7 was the bridge)

bullwinkle12

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
The workarounds work. They might be workarounds, but you only have to set it up once, and then they work perfect.

That's a good point. Once I get things the way I need, I don't have to worry about it anymore. It seems so obvious. Lol, it makes me wonder how my line of thinking even worked.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The key to success with WP8 (and really, any smartphone not running Android) is to divorce Google as quickly as possible. Google has declared that it will ensure its services never run well on WP, so it's important to migrate over to other solutions if you make the plunge into WP-land. That means replacing every single Google "service" -- Gmail, storage, maps, voice, etc. -- with something non-Google.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey Google, my Gmail doesn't work with Windows Phone.

"Windows Phone is not a supported platform."

Hey Google, when is my Google+ going to work on my WP?

"We have no plans."

Hey Google, why can't I upload YouTube videos straight to YouTube via my WP?

"We blocked Windows Phone uploads in the API."

And so on.

crazeee

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

"We have no plans."

And so on.

Cobblers as usual

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I have way more invested in Google and their ecosystem yet I'm on Windows Phone. Things could be better but overall I've been happy.

1. OneNote kills Evernote so long as you have the companion desktop program. I had a presentation that I did for my job and I clipped a ton of article, files and such together in a notebook that was accessible through my phone everywhere I went.
  2. Skydrive is nice, nicer than I thought it would be. Overall I think Dropbox being available on multiple platforms and simply being independant of the big three is a huge advantage. Just because you move from one ecosystem to the next doesn't mean your files are lost or inaccessible.
  3. Nokia Drive is a nice little app. True offline navigation comes in handy and I think people are missing out if they don't give it an honest try. The My Commute feature is missing on Windows Phone 8 though. It really makes the app worth it.
  4. Xbox Music is just awful. There are work arounds for syncing files, but the Zune compatibility I had with the Lumia 900 is sorely missed. It was a much more complete user experience.
  5. The lack of apps doesn't hurt me. The lack of quality apps hurts me. I have to give Windows Phone props though - there is enough built into general options that you don't need extra apps.

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site

"We have no plans."

And so on.

Well I'm glad you proved us wrong there with some indisputable facts...

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I switch from Windows Phone to Android and boy the regular email is terrible and copy/pasting is an exercise in frustation on Touchwiz. Everything else is awesome, I'm surprised about how little I care about Live Tiles and the People hub. I do miss groups though.

bullwinkle12

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
So I just got a black Lumia 920!

I really like it so far (2 days). From what I can tell, I think I'll be just fine, even with all the Google stuff.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb