Which platform should I go for?

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I've been researching the 4 different mobile platforms and I can't make up my mind. Each has compelling advantages and significant disadvantages. I am going to list out the pros and cons that apply to me for each platform and I'm hoping someone can give me some insight as to which platform would be best to go for.

My main usage for a cell phone is instant messaging. I currently use a BlackBerry and the instant messaging is solid on BBM and decent when it comes to WhatsApp. I almost exclusively message iPhone and BlackBerry users. Secondly I use the cell phone for web browsing. Thirdly I use Google Maps in order to get transit directions. I am not interested in games on a cell phone or any of these apps people talk about. I have a Nexus 7 for all that.

iPhone
Pros:
iMessage (solid and easy messaging to iPhone users)
Decent WhatsApp (for BlackBerry and other users)
Great resale value
Google Maps (eventually at least)

Cons:
Regular touch keyboard (I'm used to physical BlackBerry keyboard)
Kind of small for me
Expensive
Very boring, stale and everyone has one

Android (Nexus 4 - LTE works in Canada)
Pros:
Gesture typing/Swype (a dream come true for one handed typing)
Strongest Google Maps (even though I just care about basic transit directions)
Cheapest

Cons:
Kind of unstable and ugly (yes despite Jelly Bean 4.2)
I'll have to use WhatsApp for almost all my messaging, which I don't like

BlackBerry 10
Pros:
Solid messaging through BBM
Free high quality, convenient voice chats over BBM Voice (I don't like Skype)
Best multitasking experience
Physical keyboard

Cons:
Uncertain WhatsApp and Google Maps availability
Tedious one handed typing (if physical keyboard)

Windows Phone 8 (Nokia Lumia 920)
Pros:
Absolutely gorgeous and stable
Gloved typing, direct sunlight viewing, 60 hz screen
Fast messaging to BlackBerry users through Windows Live Messenger
Longest battery life (I think)

Cons:
Uncertain WhatsApp availability
No Google Maps for transit directions (gMaps is barely acceptable, Nokia Transit doesn't cover my city)
Regular touch screen keyboard

Last edited:

iPwnza

Banned
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
This is a windows phone forum. therefore, we're all going to say windows phone.

go to xda and everyone says android.

you get the idea.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm hoping that someone who can be a bit rational about it could help out. Otherwise how about you guys tell me which one to go for excluding windows phone?

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
If you need transit and if Nokia doesn't cover your town, the simple answer is Android. Depends on what your time frame is if Nokia brings transit to your town, or if there actually is some type of transit google maps app for iOS coming....

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
The two mobile platforms I have experience with are iOS and WP. Between these, and based on your needs, you may be happier with iOS. You can use iMessage with your iPhone friends, there's a stable WhatsApp app for your non-iPhone friends, and Google Maps works well (at least it did when I used iOS 2 years ago).

That being said, if you're in the US, most carriers typically allow you to swap your new device within 30days (please check with your carrier to make sure that's the case). So, if you're up for it, go ahead and try the Lumia 920 to see if it meets your needs (you would have to resort to regular SMS for communicating with all your friends). As others have mentioned, there's Nokia Transit and Nokia Drive that could possibly replace Google Maps. If it doesn't work out, and your carrier allows it, you could swap it out for an iPhone.

Unless you're tied down to a particular ecosystem (all Google products, all Apple products, etc.), you may find suitable replacements within the WP8 ecosystem. But there's only one way to find out! :)

Musicjunkie0210

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Not to be an Apple ******, because WP is my favorite, but iPhones really do have an endless amount of accessories that can keep it exciting. Jailbreaking the thing helps too but of course is sketchy. I hate Androids. They're ugly and just don't function as smoothly as one wants without needing work done. It's like buying a junker with potential to fix up instead of just getting a nice car, which will outperform the junker anyway in the long run. I really want to love blackberry, but I was using the OS 7 for a while and Unless you are receiving vast amount of important emails and really requiring the productivity it provides, the thing is very boring.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Well I hardly ever buy any accessories, I've never needed to.

Blackberry OS7 was quite crappy as usual but BB10 is a complete overhaul and I strongly doubt its going to be anything like the previous blackberry's in the negatives.

Since the nexus 4 is about half the price of an iPhone 5, and those folk that matter to me will get Kik messenger (so I don't have to use whatsapp), I think I can rule out the iPhone 5. The extra cost doesn't justify the LTE and iMessage.

WalkerHall

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I would have to agree with ousooner. Based on the platforms you say you mostly interface with,it sounds like you would be best served by an IOS device. The iPhone 5 is not as big as the WP and Android devices but it is a sharp piece of hardware with tremendous 3rd party support.
HOWEVER, I love my L920 and am glad I made the decision to change from my iPhone 4.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)