IE's UI is great. The browser itself... SUCKS.

iPwnza

Banned
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Roblox, wow. That's the first time I've actually heard it mentioned outside of my 9 year-old stepson's bedroom. We even took him to the Roblox convention in Nor Cal a couple of months back.

Off-topic, I know. :)

I'm very famous on it, only reason I still use it!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Humph... Interesting. The version for the X6 reports as Webkit...

That is very strange indeed, but also very interesting. A lot could be read into such a switch. Anything to avoid being counted as yet another webkit browser on the mobile web perhaps? That is certainly also in Nokia's interest.

I tested this on my Lumia 800 with WP7.5, not WP8, just to be clear.

lfjj

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I like it but it seems a bit choppy doesn't it? When loading sites especially and sometimes when scrolling, some kind of checkerboard appears or flickers.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
It's because the developers of the site are coding it with webkit in mind. IE 9 and 10 are perfectly standards compliant and desktop sites run flawlessly, so try the full site until they fix the mobile site for WP.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Why do you blame the browser when the problem is obviously the webpage itself...

Because it would be far easier for Microsoft to just make a WebKit compliant browser, or allow/encourage the development of one for Windows Phone than it will be to try and convince every web developer to make their SD sites recognize Windows phone and work correctly with its Trident browser.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Because it would be far easier for Microsoft to just make a WebKit compliant browser, or allow/encourage the development of one for Windows Phone than it will be to try and convince every web developer to make their SD sites recognize Windows phone and work correctly with its Trident browser.

Yes, just as it would have been easier for Lincoln to surrender than fight the American civil war. Sometimes it is worth sticking up for principles, even if not everyone understands or agrees with them.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
That is very strange indeed, but also very interesting. A lot could be read into such a switch. Anything to avoid being counted as yet another webkit browser on the mobile web perhaps? That is certainly also in Nokia's interest.

I tested this on my Lumia 800 with WP7.5, not WP8, just to be clear.

Are we testing the same thing? I'm looking at the user agent for the Symbian Nokia X browser.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

That would also open up Microsoft ecosystems to all the vulnerabilities in webkit browsers, including the exploit that allows a remote exploit to gain full system-level access to the device.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

And one more thing, hopefully for the last time... Microsoft doesn't need to convince anyone to explicitly recognize Windows Phone or the Trident browser. Websites need only be standards compliant. That isn't too much to ask, and it is the right thing to do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05