Doesn't adding a Notification Center completely undermine Live Tiles?

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I know a lot of people aren't going to like this, but...... I don't think Microsoft will ever give WP users a notification center, simply because it makes Live Tiles seem rather useless in comparison.

Microsoft has been really banking on Live Tiles as being what makes Windows Phone unique and if they were to suddenly add a Notification Center, people would start to stop looking at their Tiles and instead swipe down from the top of the screen like they do with the other platforms and those big tiles would start looking like well...a big waste of space.

The only way for Microsoft to get out of this branding conundrum is to innovate and create something as unique as Live Tiles which performs the same function as a Notification Center without making it surpass the so-called "glance and go" Microsoft touts with their Live Tiles.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
+1000 A notification center has never been an issue to me, and I have used all 3 OS. I actually found it annoying on iOS and android, especially if I didn't check it for a while and had to scroll thru pages of notifications. On WP7/8 I can see at a glance if i have a new message, email, missed call, whatever on my lockscreen, and a quick tap of the appropriate tile gives me the info I need.

win_splash

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I get what your saying, but having an Apps live tile also show you a history of its notifications may not be the most efficient way of tracking notifications. That scenario would work if you have one or two apps pinned that receive notifications, but if you have a few of such Apps, then it becomes a chore to go into each live tile and see the notifications. One place for all missed notification is much easier and convenient for the user. Maybe they have a better idea, which I would totally 100% support, but it has to make sense and make it easy for the user. The concept should not just be different for the sake of being different.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I know a lot of people aren't going to like this, but...... I don't think Microsoft will ever give WP users a notification center, simply because it makes Live Tiles seem rather useless in comparison.

Microsoft has been really banking on Live Tiles as being what makes Windows Phone unique and if they were to suddenly add a Notification Center, people would start to stop looking at their Tiles and instead swipe down from the top of the screen like they do with the other platforms and those big tiles would start looking like well...a big waste of space.

The only way for Microsoft to get out of this branding conundrum is to innovate and create something as unique as Live Tiles which performs the same function as a Notification Center without making it surpass the so-called "glance and go" Microsoft touts with their Live Tiles.

You definitely seem to be a new crew member. If you were here few weeks back, there was a story on this too. Notification center IS COMING.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Live tiles aren't just about notifications, though. I don't use my Groupon, Failbook, Weather, People, Alarms, Calendar, Urban Dictionary, Music, or Pictures tile for notifications at all. They're used for deeper information than just another. Even the WPCentral on its flip side gives deep information. A notification center and live tiles can easily coexist. In fact, I think a notification center would push developers to make better live tiles.

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
You definitely seem to be a new crew member. If you were here few weeks back, there was a story on this too. Notification center IS COMING.
Yeah one guy from Microsoft said they didn't have time, but I don't buy that. They've had 2 years to make one since WP7 came out. I think what is actually happening is that they're still trying to come up with a way to centralize notifications in a manner that doesn't seem....redundant.

I mean if you look at the Windows Phone 8 UI it pretty much already looks like one big notification center except it has a flaw where if you don't put all the tiles you need on your homescreen you lose those notifications.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Your poll doesn't match your subject question. :)

Yes, I believe that adding a notification center will undermine live tiles to a certain degree. At least... the way I use live tiles it will. But I don't think that's going to stop Microsoft from putting in some sort of a notification center, whether that's a swipe-in-from-the-top-or-side kinda thing, a notification center app which has a live tile all it's own, or something else entirely. It's documented that Microsoft said they were going to put one in but ran out of time; the fact there wasn't one in WP7 is irrelevant given that WP8 and WP7 are different OS's (albeit they have similar UIs and the ability to run the same apps. Mostly. Heh.)

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
YES! Another Notification Center thread! If I respond to one more I win a kewpie doll! Quick, somebody start another one. :)

For some reason I never, ever use the iOS one, but I use the **** out of the Android one. Weird, eh? Anyway, I hate getting a bunch of ESPN toasts then not having anywhere to go to figure out what it was for.... Maybe I follow too many teams. Haha.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
YES! Another Notification Center thread! If I respond to one more I win a kewpie doll! Quick, somebody start another one. :)

For some reason I never, ever use the iOS one, but I use the **** out of the Android one. Weird, eh? Anyway, I hate getting a bunch of ESPN toasts then not having anywhere to go to figure out what it was for.... Maybe I follow too many teams. Haha.

If you follow so many teams, surely ESPN is a big part of your life. Why won't you pin that? Imagine "Meet tk-093 and this is his Windows Phone" followed by no ESPN tile shown!! Go on PIN IT! ;)

sullibr01

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
I read most of the posts in here concerning a notification center, and I have not seen anything definitive indicating that a notification center is on the way. All I have read is that MS ran out of time, and they were giving it some serious consideration. If someone has seen something definitive from MS that a notiification center was going to be included in some future update, could they post it here? That would be much appreciated. Until then it's just a rumor.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
If you follow so many teams, surely ESPN is a big part of your life. Why won't you pin that? Imagine "Meet tk-093 and this is his Windows Phone" followed by no ESPN tile shown!! Go on PIN IT! ;)

I have an ESPN tile along with 3 seperate team tiles pinned (the team ones are from the Nokia ESPN app) but they don't really do anything.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't think a notification center would undermine live tiles... but I have never felt the need for live tiles. Up until yesterday I also carried an Android phone and I would just constantly clear the notification bar because my OCD side got annoyed if there is any notification. I don't have an iPhone, but on my iPad I never use the notification drop down.

I am indifferent, and understand that its useful to some people, I just hope it isnt ugly.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I read most of the posts in here concerning a notification center, and I have not seen anything definitive indicating that a notification center is on the way. All I have read is that MS ran out of time, and they were giving it some serious consideration. If someone has seen something definitive from MS that a notiification center was going to be included in some future update, could they post it here? That would be much appreciated. Until then it's just a rumor.

Jo Bel's twitter account?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I have an ESPN tile along with 3 seperate team tiles pinned (the team ones are from the Nokia ESPN app) but they don't really do anything.

Where do your toasts go? Isn't there any tile count? If not, it's super rubbish considering Nokia did that app!

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If you go do a quick bing/google search, you can find the screenshot of the notification center that MS plans on implementing.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't think a notification center would undermine live tiles... but I have never felt the need for live tiles. Up until yesterday I also carried an Android phone and I would just constantly clear the notification bar because my OCD side got annoyed if there is any notification. I don't have an iPhone, but on my iPad I never use the notification drop down.

I am indifferent, and understand that its useful to some people, I just hope it isnt ugly.

WP is beautiful. Nothing will be ugly in it. Nothing ;)

BokiV

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Been using wp8 since it came out, and I don't really miss notification centre at all...I have all my info on my live tiles..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb