Frequency of app updates

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Having come from iOS I find it rather interesting that the frequency of app updates is rather slow to non-existent in comparison. On iOS I would often have one to a dozen app updates come in per day. On WP8 it seems to be a rare occurrence.

Is there some sort of MS Store policy in place to keep the update counts down or are the developers just not keeping things as current?

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Could be tons of reasons:

Perhaps the devs generally dont bother updating apps for WP that often
Perhaps the apps just require less updates due to the way the OS works
Perhaps you have less apps installed and thus it seems far less than normal
Perhaps the apps need updating but you havent got the notifications
Perhaps the devs all agreed at the last Dev Annual Meeting that theyd only release updates February 23rd

No idea, tbh.

iPwnza

Banned
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I get updates about once or twice a week, I have around 50 apps installed. I had iOS, it's slightly slower as far as updates go, but doesn't bother me.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Could be tons of reasons:

Perhaps the devs generally dont bother updating apps for WP that often
Perhaps the apps just require less updates due to the way the OS works
Perhaps you have less apps installed and thus it seems far less than normal
Perhaps the apps need updating but you havent got the notifications
Perhaps the devs all agreed at the last Dev Annual Meeting that theyd only release updates February 23rd

No idea, tbh.

I'm pretty sure we all agreed to the 22nd... not the 23rd. ;)

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
It could be a combination of reasons. If I were to guess, it's that developers direct most of their effort towards platforms that draw a larger audience (currently iOS and Android). Due to this, WP apps seem to be on a longer update cycle. This would change if/when WP8 gains a larger user base.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I have no clue what this is... why are devs only relasing updates then?

Sorry iPwnza for the confusion, it was simply a joke. Slai was also joking around when he said "Perhaps the devs all agreed at the last Dev Annual Meeting that theyd only release updates February 23rd".... I was simply adding to the humor.

The situation is kind of funny when you think about it. "Hey guys, wouldn't it be funny if all of us only released updates for our apps on February 23rd?"

jaqueh

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Having come from iOS I find it rather interesting that the frequency of app updates is rather slow to non-existent in comparison. On iOS I would often have one to a dozen app updates come in per day. On WP8 it seems to be a rare occurrence.

Is there some sort of MS Store policy in place to keep the update counts down or are the developers just not keeping things as current?

same, I get probably 5 updates in 2 weeks as opposed to 5 every 2 days in iOS. Kinda sucks but hopefully it'll get improved. Even when I had the G1 it wasn't this bad.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I figure the competition in the iOS app store means developers have to continuously fix and improve their apps or someone else will take their spot.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Updates are usually for bug fixes or to address issues in performance. If people don't send feedback to the developers, there won't be any updates.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
There is no Store policy, Microsoft processes submissions and updates faster than Apple. The developers of the apps you downloaded simply aren't submitting as many updates. No rocket science involved!

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Okay, suddenly I have 20 app updates today.

What's weird is one is the Nokia Drive+ app I already updated today since it was linked from here. Also, many of them are dated around a week or so old.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte