So...the alarm goes off even on silent or vibrate?

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I guess I was under the impression that setting the phone to vibrate would put everything on vibrate, even the alarm. Imagine my surprise when my phone alarm went off during a final exam (scheduled during a time when I'm usually waking up). Annoyed, I quickly dismissed it, held the volume button down until it hit zero to silence everything, and continued my final. My "backup alarm" went off half an hour later. What gives?? Is there no way to set the phone so that all sounds are silenced besides turning it off?

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Would you prefer that you accidentally put the phone in silent mode only to have the alarm not ring and wake you up as intended?

The grass is always greener...

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I guess I was under the impression that setting the phone to vibrate would put everything on vibrate, even the alarm. Imagine my surprise when my phone alarm went off during a final exam (scheduled during a time when I'm usually waking up). Annoyed, I quickly dismissed it, held the volume button down until it hit zero to silence everything, and continued my final. My "backup alarm" went off half an hour later. What gives?? Is there no way to set the phone so that all sounds are silenced besides turning it off?

Your backup alarm went off with the volume set to zero and you still heard that one too?

I was under the impression that the alarm's volume was relative to the phone volume setting.

Boggy79

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The alarm will still go off if the volume is set to 0. I turn mine all the way down while the phone is charging overnight so that I don't get woken by drunken texts :)
Still get a wake up call before work each day...happy me!

poken1151

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It is this way on every platform now, AFAIK.

Yea, I know for a fact this is how my android device works, and I'd assume as much for an iDevice. Unless, per chance, there is a specific setting that pushes alarms under all other media.

The ida, as I understand it, is that people may be busy or forget to raise their volume, and the one thing you don't want to happen is Just cuz you se you're phne to vib and went to bed, you miss your alarm.

So yea, I assume this is how all the platforms work, I know my android worked this way, BUT a specific app is different. Alarmdroid on android for ex. has a setting to keep it inline with system volume or media volume. Which is the same for some alarm apps on WP.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Why is this even a thread? Turn the alarm off if you don't want it to go off.
Had no idea I even had my alarms on and its not something I actively think of 24/7. Was hoping maybe someone would know of a magical way to silence all sounds buried somewhere. I can understand it working on vibrate and it makes sense if you forget to take the phone off vibrate before bed (or wish to not be disturbed) but I would think setting the phone completely silent would silence all sounds.

Guess I just wasn't aware that the alarm is permanently locked into 100% volume no matter what and it can't be changed. I'll probably just stop using recurring alarms then. Thanks all.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Had no idea I even had my alarms on and its not something I actively think of 24/7. Was hoping maybe someone would know of a magical way to silence all sounds buried somewhere. I can understand it working on vibrate and it makes sense if you forget to take the phone off vibrate before bed (or wish to not be disturbed) but I would think setting the phone completely silent would silence all sounds.

Guess I just wasn't aware that the alarm is permanently locked into 100% volume no matter what and it can't be changed. I'll probably just stop using recurring alarms then. Thanks all.

If you pin the Alarms to your home screen it will show you the time of your next Alarm on the tile.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
In my testing, the volume for alarms can not be changed. It is set at one level. Took me a while to get used to it as for me, it is really loud.

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I swear to god, if I see anyone from the "SO GLAD WINDOWS PHONE ONLY HAS ONE VOLUME CONTROL" thread in here I am going to get grumpy. :winktongue:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99