Google: No apps for Windows 8

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Wow, this actually surprised me.

http://www.slashgear.com/google-has-no-plans-to-develop-apps-for-windows-8-12260606/

And, yes this includes Windows Phone 8.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Google want everyone to migrate to Chromebooks, and Android devices.

Windows 8 already has loads of challenges, companies like Google and Steam want to do everything they can to hold Microsoft back.

rantanplan1980

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
This is no surprise. WP8 Sales are up 300%, and google will do everything it can to stop this.

If you have anything related to google (such as google drive), forget about it and go to skydrive.

Bull****. Google is an advertising company and WP8/Windows 8 is just another delivery system for ads. They don't care if you're using Android, iOS of ****ing Linux on your Intel PC. They sell ads!
For google the costs for developing those apps is simply higher then the expected revenues by those apps. They want to make money, that's all. And if Windows had enough market share then they would also create apps for it.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
...WP8 Sales are up 300%, and google will do everything it can to stop this.
300% up from what, exactly? It's still a low market share. And what can Google really do to stop Windows Phone growth? Avoiding putting their apps on Windows Phone won't stop Windows Phone from becoming more successful.

Bull****. Google is an advertising company and WP8/Windows 8 is just another delivery system for ads. They don't care if you're using Android, iOS of ****ing Linux on your Intel PC. They sell ads!
For google the costs for developing those apps is simply higher then the expected revenues by those apps. They want to make money, that's all. And if Windows had enough market share then they would also create apps for it.
Exactly! I mentioned something similar as a comment on the WPCentral blog post and man, people went all sorts of crazy. Google likes to make money just like anyone else. They're not going to turn away money because of "fanboyism" or whatever. Google's Windows 8 argument IS a bit silly, though.

Google isn't just an advertising company lol
Their main source of Google's revenue IS advertising.

fusioncept

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Right now Google is just trying to stop the increase of WP8.

If WP8 gains enough traction they will have to make apps as WP8 would be a larger percentage of smartphones.

dsirico

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, Google is an advertising company, 98% of its revenue is from advertising. But Microsoft remains its primary competitor in the search market. Tablets are already slated to outsell desktop PCs next year, smartphone sales are soaring, clearly the future of search is in the mobile market. Microsoft is using its mobile devices to promote Bing, going as far as integrating it deeply into the WP OS. Google knows legitimizing the OS with app development can help grow Microsoft's space within the category and a 3rd party proprietary app is at a distinct disadvantage against the integrated, default software (which is why desktop IE, seen for years as a terrible product is still a relative close 2nd to chrome). Speaking of which, they're also battling on the browser front (which has SERP delivery implications) where Google and IE's market share is 37/26% respectively.

I downloaded a Google search app for WP8 on the first day ... I've been using Bing ever since, despite being a lifetime Google user. Why? Because its built-in and convenient. I haven't even looked for browser alternatives, despite its flaws I look at IE as my only/best option on this phone.

Getting Microsoft out of the mobile space entirely is obviously more fiscally important than the short term ad revenue generated through a 3rd party app on the WP platform that will likely only act as a bridge to the native software.

Just my two cents, seems like a smart move by Google .. and still some truth to their argument but lets not be idiots, they can cover the cost of app development in a very short period of time with search revenues. This was at least as much a psychological play. The moment Google feels their app development has no philosophical impact on Microsofts market share, they'll jump right in and try to carve out their piece of the pie.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos