Next Bus

my_wolfe

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone else have the problem with the nextbus mobile site on their windows phone 8 devices where when you browse to the site, it gives you the 'determining your location' message forever and never detects nearby transit stops/lines?

This is very frustrating. I haven't been able to find a decent nextbus app in the store. I'm just looking for something that detects nearby stops and displays the times. I've found a few apps in the store, but they usually require you to manually select the stop/line you're looking for or show you a map and have you select the stops there too.

my_wolfe

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I have an 8x too, that's pretty strange. At least I know it can work properly... Any idea what might be causing that? I just got the phone so I haven't explored everything yet.

my_wolfe

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I must not have explained the problem properly.

I went to the windows store today and tried this on every phone they had and it didn't work on any of them.

But basically, when you go to nextbus.com and it's the mobile site it shows a list of nearby bus/subway stops and the times of the next approaching bus. This is on the main screen without any other clicking required.

You can browse to a particular bus line and select it and it will show you the times fine. But that requires a lot more work and is not nearly as convenient.

x I'm tc

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Definitely broken on Windows Phone 8. Works fine on my old Sprint Arrive.

Deeply frustrating problem since that Web page beats any application in the store by a wide mile.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

x I'm tc

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if location services in the browser are just broken for this site somehow. It never asks me to allow it, which it does on my Arrive and on every other site that asks for location.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Not working on my 822 either. Maybe send them an email? I don't have a clue how that stuff works, but maybe it's identifiying your phone incorrectly (browser string or something...) and not running the right applet/whatever for your phone. Might be an easy fix for them.

I must not have explained the problem properly.

I went to the windows store today and tried this on every phone they had and it didn't work on any of them.

But basically, when you go to nextbus.com and it's the mobile site it shows a list of nearby bus/subway stops and the times of the next approaching bus. This is on the main screen without any other clicking required.

You can browse to a particular bus line and select it and it will show you the times fine. But that requires a lot more work and is not nearly as convenient.

x I'm tc

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Maybe send them an email?

I just emailed them this:

Dear NextBus,

When navigating to NextBus.com from my Lumia 920 and my wife’s Windows Phone 8X, I am never prompted to allow access to my location and the page never gets past “Determining your location…” Other Web pages that need my location successfully generate a location request and then find me.

Can you please check the code associated with detection of Windows Phone 8 and modify it to work correctly? I depend on your excellent Web site all the time! It used to work on my old Windows Phone 7.5 device, an Arrive, and I loved it.

Thank you,
Jim

my_wolfe

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I emailed them as well a while ago. They got back to me and suggested I reset the location settings and phone. I emailed back and told them that this wasn't the issue but I haven't heard anything after this.

Hopefully they're aware and are working on a fix. I also tried it with at WP 7.5 device and the site worked. Honestly, this wouldn't be so frustrating if there were better nextbus apps available for the phone but unfortunately none exist yet. I used to use smart ride on my iphone, but I emailed them and they said they were not planning on porting it to WP

x I'm tc

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I know this is a really old thread at this point, but I think it's probably worth bumping just so say that, in the last couple of weeks or so, NextBus.com has started working on my Lumia 920. They must have updated the Web page.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital