Mint banking app replacement

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Mint.com is NOT coming - at least not anytime soon. I've contacted them myself, and the response was that they removed it from their short-term plan. There is a developer working on an app called Money Thyme, and he was asking for Beta testers... I signed up, though late (I don't know how long before I signed up he'd posted his request for testers), but I haven't heard from him. His video demo of the app is pretty impressive.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Money Thyme sounds nice, but something about letting a third party app have access to all of my financial info is kind of scary to me, lol. I'd need to understand how it works before I'd use it because I don't remember Mint having an API.

Edit: Nevermind, Intuit was introducing one but I don't know if it came out yet. It also wasn't going to be free either

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Money Thyme sounds nice, but something about letting a third party app have access to all of my financial info is kind of scary to me, lol. I'd need to understand how it works before I'd use it because I don't remember Mint having an API.
It doesn't take much digging to realize that people have been reverse engineering Mint's API to get it to work for them...
Early Look at Mojito: Mint.com for Windows Phone 7 - Matt McCormick
https://satisfaction.mint.com/mint/topics/an_api_for_manipulation_of_personal_data

Don't get me wrong - I share your caution. I also have my reservations about putting a username/password into an app where I don't know what is being done with that username/password, when it involves my money. But if all they have access to is the Mint user/pass, I'm thinking you're at least safe from being cleaned out (assuming you don't use the same user/pass for mint as you use for the bank). I know I don't use Mint's full capabilities, but can you remove money from an account with it, or is it read-only on the bank accounts? I know I've only used read-only functions, so I'm not sure any action functions exist. I know - someone could see what you have, but at least you'd still have it.

I'm thinking I'd want an app like this to go through some kind of certification process. And hey, while I'm on that subject, I wonder just how many people installed the Bank of America app (or any other app) and didn't check to see who published the app? Hmmm... There's no Wells Fargo app. Maybe I should publish one really quick, if you know what I mean.... No, I'd never do that, but I'm saying it to raise people's awareness.

Still, the question remains, what kind of assurance can a developer give that his app is not sending your username/password home to Papa, and that your money (or email, or twitter account, or whatever else it is you're trusting to a developer) is safe?

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, you're right. Mint.com does seem primarily read only, so it might not be too bad. I remember with Yodlee you could actually get access to account login credentials (I used to do it when I'd forget my account user names and passwords :p). There doesn't appear to be a way to do that in Mint.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I suggest not using this kind of services. They sell your data. Some hedge funds will try to figure out a lot of things from these

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Why not just use your bank's mobile app or web site? Citibank does all the stuff Mint does through their mobile site, including scraping data from your credit cards and other accounts (stocks, bonds, cash, other banks). And I trust Citi a lot more than some small developer.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Why not just use your bank's mobile app or web site? Citibank does all the stuff Mint does through their mobile site, including scraping data from your credit cards and other accounts (stocks, bonds, cash, other banks). And I trust Citi a lot more than some small developer.
For a couple reasons, I use Mint (where I used to use Quicken and be tied to a desktop). One is all of my accounts are in one place. Another is that only one of my banks has an app (USAA). Another is a credit union, and I doubt they'll ever have an app anywhere... Another reason is that when I pay my bills, I enter the payments, and I can see how much I have (like entering in a check register, but not on paper), and then when the transactions clear, they automatically cancel out the entries I made. It's mostly about keeping up with where I am at any given time, since I'm a bit OCD about some things, and when it comes to this, I'm paranoid about making a mistake and bouncing a check, or missing a payment. It would be nice if there were an app that would do all this, save it to my own SkyDrive, and my wife could sync to that. Or even better, since I'm running a server at home, skip the SkyDrive, and let the server at home do the work. But I don't have that kind of time, so I'm left to someone else's solutions. It would be nice if my bank would deduct the money from my displayed balance as soon as I set up the billpay, but it doesn't... If it did, I'd be golden. The only thing I'd need to track is the two checks we write a month to church.

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Mint.com is NOT coming - at least not anytime soon. I've contacted them myself, and the response was that they removed it from their short-term plan. There is a developer working on an app called Money Thyme, and he was asking for Beta testers... I signed up, though late (I don't know how long before I signed up he'd posted his request for testers), but I haven't heard from him. His video demo of the app is pretty impressive.

Please let me know when Money Thyme becomes available. I'd be interested in trying it out.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It was legit at the time, but they changed their plan. If they were still planning to do it, it'd be done by now - that article is from August 4th. Like I said, I contacted them directly, and I was given a very direct reply that they no longer had it on their short-term roadmap. They didn't pull any punches.

Rich posted toMint.com

November 22

When will the Windows Phone 8 app that we heard about in August be done?

And Mint is totally not syncing with USAA right for the past couple weeks!

Like ?

• 2 people like this.

[*]

Mint.com Hey Rich, unfortunately, the WP8 app got bumped from our short-term roadmap. We will keep you posted though! Appreciate your interest.
    For the USAA difficulties, please fill out our Contact Mint form http://www.mint.com/help/#contact-form so we can take a look at your account. Thanks!Contact Mint - Mint.com > Get Help
    www.mint.comIf you have a specific issue with bank accounts, transactions, or can?t find you...r answer in the community-powered forum, you can contact Customer Service here. You?ll typically get a response within 24 hours.See More
    November 23 at 11:32am ? Like
    [*] Rich Well, with the WP8 launch being what it is, everyone is running out of phones, and I'm seeing a couple of forums, including your own, where people are/have been asking for the mint.com app. If you're not going to make one, do you have an API for developers to make a third party app?

As for my USAA problem, it wasn't two minutes after I posted this issue yesterday and it suddenly synced up right.
    November 23 at 11:46am ? Like

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Looks like they are working on it, but do not have a timeframe yet. This is what they told me.

Me: Do you plan on providing a App for Windows Phone
8? I would like to start using Mint, but my wife and I both have WP8 phones and
it would be much easier to use if we have an app to use.

Mint: And thanks for your interest in seeing Mint.com on mobile platforms besides iOS
and Android. We periodically review the marketplace and consider support for
any mobile platform adopted by a significant percentage of our users specially
with Windows Phone 8. In the meantime you can access Mint.com on any mobile browser, or via SMS
text-message: Just text ‘bal’ to shortcode ‘MYMINT (696468).

Me: Can you please provide a time frame of when an
app will be available? Is there a team already working on a app or is Mint
really in the phase of just considering an app? Is there supposed to be a mobile web version of
Mint? When I log in to the site from my Nokia Lumia 920, all I see is the full
site which is pretty hard to use from the phone.

Mint: I just personally did a follow up with your
request into our engineers. They are now currently working on it and
formulating the best resolution towards this issue. Unfortunately we cannot
provide an ETA due to the reason that our production team is experiencing also
a high traffic volume of inquiries and requests. Please extend your patience us we work together to add a Mint app at windows.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, I hope they actually do it, but even that conversation sounds more vague than what I'd like to see. They need to commit. That conversation is not a commission.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster