Love my WP8 but I have a wondering eye

gar216

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Let me start by saying that I am happy with my HTC 8x. Great phone and I also like the OS a lot.
I switched from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 ( last in a long line of Blackberry phones) to a HTC Trophy. I liked the change and felt that even with all the needed improvements wp7 was next Gen when compared to the legacy BBos. I just upgraded to wp8 on a HTC 8x and still feel that windows phone is a little inconsistent throughout the OS and at times even a little "loose". These are things that I have no doubt can and will be fixed as the OS matures, but I'd be lying if I said that Blackberry 10 hasn't been catching my eye lately.

I am one of the few playbook owners throughout the world and I can honestly say that I love it. It does have many many fatal flaws but at its core I thoroughly enjoy the basis of the operating system. BB10 is based on the Playbook OS but brought up a few levels.

My home has a windows 8 PC and an Xbox which is why I went with windows phone, but it will be interesting to see if I end up going back to old faithful or going on the windows phone ride.

I can honestly say that I see both platforms being able to succeed and chip away at the android market share. I look for apple to keep its market share just because apple people are apple people and are loyal and have completely bought into their ecosystem.

Thoughts / comments?

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft has a chance because they have deep pockets and can leverage integration with the popular Office suite and Xbox. RIM does not have those advantages, no chance BB survives.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
You'll convert SOME Apple people over time, since much of their userbase today aren't the committed "Macaholics" of old, but the sort of people who bought Apple IIs and early Macs in the 1990s, only to leave for Windows a few years later.

The big opportunity is the Android userbase. Right now, Android is doing very well due to availability and pricing. Microsoft's working on the availability thing, the pricing is already at parity, and I have yet to meet a new Android user who isn't filled with complaints about his phone after the two-week honeymoon period wears off. The thing that's delightful about the mobile market is that it's easy to switch (versus PCs, which were thousands of dollars), and many people will swap out every 12 to 24 months. That means Microsoft and its OEMs get a pretty frequent opportunity to pitch the latest experience and devices to the end user, while pointing out what makes both better.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
So are you looking for someone here to talk you into staying with MS and WP? Or do you want a Blackberry person to convince you to switch?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I was a BlackBerry user before I switched to Windows Phone. One of the reasons I switched was due to app availability. There were even fewer big name apps for BlackBerry as there were for Windows Phone.

I am unconvinced that BlackBerry will ever get apps such as Netflix, which is already available for Windows Phone.

gar216

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
So are you looking for someone here to talk you into staying with MS and WP? Or do you want a Blackberry person to convince you to switch?

neither. I'm both a WP guy and a BB guy. I like BB as a communication device and I like WP as a media device (It was much more simple with Zune but that's another story). I'm invested in WP for now but if blackberry 10 catches up in the media department I'll probably lean in that direction

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Its "wandering eye", I think.

Thats all Ive got, sorry. Never had a BB, its not very big over here in Norway, unsure if its any bigger in Europe in general tbh.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Will see what happens but there are few phones on the market with Android 4.1.x, 4.2 is Alpha at best and 4.0x not as nice as 4.1.x.
If MS can get the updates out, unlike Androids carrier blocked updates than WP8 will have a bright future. I came from iOS to WP7.5 because I like bigger screens... There is no way I am going back to anything under 4.3 inches, I prefer 4.7 actually. So here if we can get more 4.5-5.0 inch devices, I would not be surprised if some more dump iOS for something with a decent screen. Now I love WP8 and I am pleased with my 8X (two) and 8S (spare/guest). But as I said... For me under 4.3 inches... No Go,

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I agree, the viewing experience and typing experience alone are enough to get me to avoid sub 4.3" screen devices.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I have also been keeping an eye on BB10. I have never owned a blackberry, but BB10 looks interesting. i don't really like the look of the homescreen, but the gesture based interface has me nostalgic for webOS. I will definitely check it out when it launches next year. But I don't see me leaving WP any time soon. Especially since RIM will most likely have the same app problem, and doesn't have the deep pockets of Microsoft to help in persuading developers. But I guess we will see in a couple months.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven